5 foot or 6 foot wide?

We are looking to buy a T@G. Could you please help us with some pros and cons, and your take on the width choice? Thanks!

Comments

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

No good answer here

We went with the 5 foot, it was wide enough for us, we had no need for the microwave ( we come from the tent, backpacking kayaking back road no service world of camping. I tow with a narrow TJ jeep wrangler and other small suv type, and wated to see each side of the trailer with standard vehicule mirror. Also wanted the with of the TD to be the same as the TV to reduce drag.

We sleep two adult and often 2 dogs, I med size 85 lbs and a 10 pounder. Soon to be replace on trip by a 45-55 pounder. And we lve to sleep and touch will doing it.

If you want a feel for it, install a matress between a wal and a sofa, and sleep there for the night. Sleeping in a TD is like sleeping at the bottom of a crate where the matress touch to walls. No free space for arms droping out of the bed.

And the 5 footer is great to drive in a big city and heavy trafic if needed too. :)

• BigWaveDaveBigWaveDave Member Posts: 31

Love the advice LuckyJ. You give me a lot of reasons to stick with the five footer. Thank you.

• JayJay Member Posts: 71

It comes down to personal preference. We rented a 5 wide for a week and found that we were hitting the walls with our arms or legs at night. No room to store the extra pillows down the sides that you use to help you sit up to read. We purchased a 6 wide and some of the added features you get are nice and are loving our decision. The extra counter space in the kitchen is nice. The extra shelf that is above the counter is perfect for storage of mugs, coffee, etc. A bit more storage under the bed, bigger inside cupboards, or headboard storage. Not much difference in the tow. Milage is the same. Do what LuckyJ suggested and put the mattress on the floor between the wall and a sofa. We drop our arms or legs outside of our Queen at home and I think thats why the 6 wide works for us.

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I have a 5 wide, and with 2 people and 2 dogs, it is tight. For solo travel, it is fine. I see little need for microwave. A majority of my trips does not include shore power. My tow vehicle is a 2012 Rav4 and I really like having the rear view. With a 6 wide, I would have a harder time seeing down the sides with my stock side mirrors. Another concern I had was the tracking on 4x4 dirt roads. The 5 wide track is around 77 inches and my Rav4 is 69 inches.

• Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

If I were to do it again, I’d go 5ft.

1. Galley actually has a little more storage space. That microwave removal is yet another project waiting in the wings....
    2. Little less stressful driving through tight road construction.
    3. The storage cabinets inside are pretty tiny and a little smaller wouldn’t make them much less useful in a trade for 1 and 2.
    4. Helps to make sure the kids don’t try to pile in with you.
    5. Easier to get through a drive through ( ok settle down people, I was mostly kidding).
    6. My bride is just a little closer....

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

@Fourman110 said:

1. Easier to get through a drive through ( ok settle down people, I was mostly kidding).
    2. My bride is just a little closer....

Euh, can I still use the drive through window, cause right until I saw your commets,mI was using them. Lol

And I have to agree with you about number 6, specially when with travel with our 2 dogs. :)

edited August 2019

@beaky said:
    get the 6'

Na! Get the 5'. ;)

Like I said, no good answer, just harder to make up your mind on what you want vs what you need and what you will like. :)

And some poeple here tow with pick-up trucks or wide suv, so width is not really an isue for them from the TV side of it.

What is most important, is have fun outhere! :)

• ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

5 fits much easier in standard single garage space.

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

Thanks to all of you for your tips and suggestions. You've presented us with a lot to think about.

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

We were lucky enough to actually get in both at an RV show...we went with the 6 ft and love the extra space...especially if it's raining and only staying overnight...she still fits in our garage and is actually the same width as our car!

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

Thanks ontheroad,

I'll need to look carefully at the specs. What about towing on the road? Some have voiced concerns about the width in the traffic Lane and also the ability to see around the TD with regular side view mirrors.

• JumperJumper Member Posts: 70

I have a 6 and have no problems at all with the width or vision. This is a tiny trailer and is super easy to tow.

If your towing with a small car or SUV the width could be a concern, but any midsized SUV or truck will be a piece of cake on the road.

I went to the dealer and spent some time in both and it didn't take long for me to decide on the 6, but again I had no issue on garage space or tow vehicle(Tacoma).

My tow vehicle is a Ford F-150.

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517

I have owned 5 teardrop trailers (4 & 5 wide, Silver Shadow, 320 T@B and 400) and got into the smaller trailers by buying a 4’ wide Little Guy sight unseen and driving all night from Michigan to a dealer in Buchanan, Virginia to pick it up. As they say, “size does matter” and believe that everyone has their own wants, needs, desires and intentions for buying whatever size trailer that fits their needs. And with the above said, know that with time, you too may change and move up to a larger trailer some day because your life may change and you may desire a different trailer as nothing in life is static.

You’re probably thinking, NO WAY! I said the same thing and yet ended up progressing upwards as my needs changed, my life circumstances changed and here I am hauling around a T@B 400. The teardrop trailer manufacturers know that people tend to trend upwards and this is why they build different size units. It’s also no doubt a result of income and marketing strategies in appealing to the various market sectors and age groups, etc.

I agree with everyone’s reasoning above and let me just say I have enjoyed and loved all the trailers I have owned. I had a dog too and laugh when I think about some of the comments people have made over the years when they saw my trailers. Is that for your dog? Do you actually sleep in that thing? Is that a freeza???

I loved the 4 wide as I could easily move it by hand. It’s very tight with 2 people and not much room to maneuver as it’s a full size bed. On up to the 5 wide with more side to side space and added head room and cabinetry. Always wanted a Silver Shadow as back before the T@G units they were the Cadillac of the Little Guy units and had the plush looking birch interior and all the bells and whistles. Then I got married and it became too small for her and she has back issues. Up to a 320 T@B and will admit, it was nice sitting inside and waking up to rain and having the ability to easily make & enjoy coffee, look out at daybreak in the rain, seeing all the wet tents in front of me and smiling as I knew I didn’t have to lay there in a wet sleeping bag and wonder when the rain was going to let up do that I could pack up and store all my wet gear. The 320 was nice, plenty of amenities but with my wife’s back issues and her need for more leg room, etc. we moved up to a 400 and it’s much better in all aspects of comfort ,but she still could use more room and the bed is difficult to make.

So enough rambling, you get my drift and when moving up or outward it all depends on your personal needs, likes, dislikes, economic means, the tow vehicle you have, your ability to store and maintain a trailer, your spouses desires (if you are married or in a relationship), etc. If I could, I would have loved to hung onto the SS as they are awesome trailers and I enjoyed cooking out if the galley and could go places the larger trailers can’t get into. I have camped in some out if the way, remote and beautiful areas from coast to coast and up to Alaska. I have traveled thousands of miles in the last 10 years since I got into the teardrop arena and I still love them all and still have that inner urge and excitement to hit the road and explore the world in these great little trailers! 👍🏻❤️

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 132

I think a lot depends on your camping style. My husband is a big guy. But we fit nicely in our 5 wide T@G. But we also really only spend time inside the camper for sleeping. Otherwise we are outside. We don't need a wider space away from home than we have at home (a queen because our tiny house has tiny bedrooms). And we're almost never plugged in, so a microwave just seems silly for us.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

get the XL and bag the microwave, you get lots of galley space.

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191
    edited August 2019

@BigWaveDave ...we didn't need to get extensions for our mirrors..the Pathfinder mirrors allow us to see the ass end of the trailer... it's perfect! And I use the microwave to put my plates/ bowls...the sink holds the coffee mugs inside a plastic storage bin...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

My 2cents worth...get what suits you and what appeals to you. We went with the 6 because we liked the larger bed, more room for the dog (100lb shepherd). We initially thought the microwave was a waste and would never be used, but it has actually come in handy, we just store stuff in it when its not in use. As for towing, we have a mid size sedan (VW Passat) and I can see fine with no mirror extensions. You get used to the extra width, the only real argument I see against the 6 would be for the Boondock if you are going to be doing some trails it will handle better having the TD track the same width as the TV track especially if the trails are rutted.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 109

We got the XL because we'd rather err on the side of having more room than we'd need than not having enough. And the extra room has been great, especially on rainy nights when we can't be sitting around a campfire, and for when we bring our dog. We pulled the microwave because we never used it and installed cabinet doors. So, all the additional storage has been great, too.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• StellaMarisStellaMaris Member Posts: 26

Got the XL as well. The extra room is a huge bonus, especially when it's raining! I actually thought I wouldn't use the microwave much, but I was wrong. It is great for reheating things, or when you want one of those great Stouffers Lasagnas for supper (it happens!) I've also found it comes in handy for storing things like bread and crackers, etc., and even dishes and coffee cups when on the road. I tow with an Explorer, and have absolutely no trouble seeing around and behind the camper. I moved up from a MyPod (talk about TINY!), so I really do love the extra room the XL gives me. When it's just me and my two dogs, I often fold up the kingsized bed to make a twin, and I have some floor space for a small table inside. The only downside is having to be REALLY careful when backing it into the single-car garage door, but once inside, I have plenty of room. I'll be eternally grateful to a Dad who taught me to back boat trailers before I could legally drive!

Kim
    "StellaM@ris", 2017 T@G Max XL
    2020 Ford Escape SEL Ecoboost and 2003 Explorer XLT
    Tyke, Buckshot, and Bonnie (the 4-legged children)

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited September 2019

Thumbs up for Stouffer's Lasagna!!!

You can also heat them over a campfire or stovetop oven...

😋

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• sharpersharper Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2019

I am also researching. I have a 2018 320S Boondock and want to sell it and downsize to a T@G. I'm a solo camper, and have found the 320 is massive for me. I have decided on the 5 wide - fits in my single car garage much easier (I measured, and also think I'll be able to just push it in), does not have a microwave (I would never use it), a little lighter, can see down the sides when pulling it. I have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4-dr, so will be an easy pull for it. If its raining, I'll have an awning. Also thinking of having a little porta-potty popup, so at night can use the other door to pop out into. The T@G 5 wide seems the best suited to me. Now its just selling my 320 then I can get one.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada