Recommendations needed: converting 4 pin to 7 pin

I'm about to install a hitch on my TV. Uhaul (and, for much more $, my car dealer) say they can only install a 4 pin flat - they don't do 7 pin, which is needed for the T@G that I'm hoping to acquire soon.

1) Should I look elsewhere for a harness that is 7-pin from the get-go? Are there advantages to doing so?

2) If not, do you have a specific brand/model of 4 pin to 7 pin adapter that you use and like?

Thanks!
CB

Comments

• JayJay Member Posts: 71

I had a 4 pin added many years ago for Uhaul trailers. When I went to add a 7 pin, I took it to a place that sells trailers and do installs. They added a 7 pin plug and left the 4 pin the middle, it was surprising that they did that but works well when I still want to use the 4 pin. I would suggest a company that specializes with hitches and installs.

• tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

A four pin to seven pin adapter will allow the running lights, brake lights, and turn signals to operate on your trailer, but you will not be able to use trailer brakes if you have them or have your tow vehicle's alternator provide current to top off your trailer's battery unless you have a seven pin connector installed.

• BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

I used this. https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Q80GS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 To convert a 4-pin to a 7. But it does require additional wiring if you have trailer brakes and want to charge the trailer battery using the TV.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• JayJay Member Posts: 71

It's important to get the extra wire. Depending on your drive times, you may want to have your TV keep the norcold powered instead of using the battery.

• SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 132

I had U-Haul install the 4 to 7 pin converter, but then went to my RV dealer to get the charge wire run.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

In order to get the 7 pin, the starting point is always a 4 pin connector or almost always.

The 4 pin connector is then plug in a 4 pin receptacle on the 7 pin, then the brake, 12 volts lead and if you want reverse light will be connected or wired form different location on your TV.

All this depend on the TV brand that you have and the option that you got for it.

Depending of the TV, some for 4 are very easy to plug, since only a t-plug is used that goes in the middle of a connector. But not all model are like that, and most imports are connected one wire at a time.

• cricketbirdcricketbird Member Posts: 6

Thanks everyone - I contacted a specialized hitch and welding company and they can install a 7-pin with a 4 pin connector as well, just in case I want to tow something with 4 pins.

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517
    edited August 2019

@cricketbird Just make sure they run a dedicated 12 volt DC line (fused) from the battery back to the wiring harness on the back of your tow vehicle. 👍🏻

Some of these outfits will install the 7-pin harness on vehicles, but fail to run a dedicated line back to the rear and people are unable to charge the battery in the trailer,

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I installed a Curt Trailer connector (Amazon #56165 $37.59) which had a 4-way flat socket. I then installed a Hopkins 4 Flat to 7 Blade wire-connector. I ran a 12-volt wire from the battery wrapped in a 1/4 inch protective wire wrap harness (Harbor Freight $3.49). Running the 12-volt wire from the battery took some thought, but was not difficult. One of the biggest problems I faced was mounting the 7-blade connector. My Rav4 proved little options. My solution worked great. I used a PVC tee connector trimmed the connector so it would just fit over the round Curt trailer hitch. Painted it black and secured it in place with stainless steel hose clamps (hardly required since the PVC fit very tight). I pull the 4-flat from inside the tow vehicle and plug it into the 7-blade when required. This type of option provides two methods to connect to things being towed. - -

• HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140
    edited August 2019

Just bought a Toyota Highlander and got the tow package in case my primary tow vehicle (xTerra) goes kaput some day. Since the Highlander only has the flat four pin connection I've been looking at wiring it up with a 4 to 7 pin kit. I'm still in the get-on-my-back-under-the car-and-ponder-where-things-can-go phase. Seeing James Dow's solution is pretty cool to me. Of course, I don't like problems generally speaking, but I kinda enjoy pondering a problem and devising possible solutions. The most simple thing that works is always what I'm looking for. James' solution falls into that category...well done!

2014 T@G