Options

Awning - <$25 - Proof of Concept

Ok I don’t want to spend a lot of money on an awning. I already have two Clam QuickSet Venture Portable screen shelters, but I want protection from rain and sun on the trailer doors/window. My proof of concept today was to add a quick inexpensive awning to the trailer side. For my awning I utilized suction cups (Amazon Super Heavy Duty Suction Cups 25 lbs. capacity each 6-pack for $12.80) and a tarp from home Depot (Everbuilt Brown/Silver Heavy duty 6’ x 8’ $7.98) - For my proof of concept I pulled back my trailer cover and used the suction cups on the top of the trailer (every 2’) and the 6'x8' tarp with polycarbonate/aluminum grommets. For the tie down rope/bungee, I hooked it up to a ladder (simulate a tree/car picnic table & the ground. By folding the tarp, I was able to make multiple arrangements (6x4 6x8, 8x6, 8x3). For folded arrangements, I used a 6’ x ½” PVC pipe for the tie down end. For about half of the test arrangements, only one tie down point was needed. I think I would need to refine the folded concept to either prevent rain from entering in-between the folded tarp or set up in a method that it would not catch the wind. All allowed the door and galley to open fine and would provide protection from ran which would not drip down at the door. It was a bit windy when I was attempting the setup, and it appears as if moderate wind would not be an issue. Concept test was for over 24 hours. - Bottom line, for less than $25 I was able to configure a very lightweight awning which would not harm the trailer and would provide shelter from rain immediately by the trailer as well as shade. Depending on the configuration, 2 chairs would fit nicely under the full tarp. I have tested suction cups on the trailer and after over 48 hours, they remained rock solid. - -
I have include multiple pictures to best show the concept. I intend to refine it and should be able to include additional information later in the year. - -

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

Has anyone requested the factory to place a keder rail? I think it may give you an easier way to attach an awning.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Adding keder rail (also referred to during web searches as "awning track") is a relatively straightforward affair. You can find it on many websites. This style came from "sailrite.com"

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

There you go! Thanks @WilliamA!

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Yes, adding a keder or awning track would be ideal. The cost of adding that at the factory should not be significant. In the mean time I look for the cheap and quick solution. Not included in my first post was my first concept. This utilized a spring loaded car sunshade with a few grommets installed. (I designed the shade initially as a kayak sail). The benefit of spring loaded sunshade is that it does not require secondary support. Total cost still remains less than $25. - -
    Attached are a few photos of that concept test. Still might work ok for light rain, but would easily partially fail in heavy rain or wind. Again, the goal is very little cost, lightweight, quick and easy to install and take down (3-5 minutes) and does not compromise the original trailer design. - -

• Options
    unbridledvunbridledv Member Posts: 1

Pretty great idea for light rain!