Options

Question about bear cubs!

LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Ok, here is a little questions about bear cubs.

So what is worst than seeing a bear cubs in the wild when you are taking a hike?
´the answer: is to have no idea where the mother is!

I was at my cottage this week, and decided to go for a walk at the ski resort near by (the reason I have my cottage here). So, started up one of the runs, planning to make a loop up and around an other run down, that would take me near the new buldings that will service the new Quebec-Charlevoix Club Med. It was just before dawn, temps was great, beautiful sun set on the St-Laurence River. Engage my self in a narrow run, then at about 100 yards, I see a black shadow. Turn out it is a bear cub from this spring. Smaller than my dog. It saw me, and went straight across in the wood. He was coming from the vicinity of a small river. My dog (on a leash) did not see or heard it. So now, my question, is where is the mother. Was he ahaed of the pack, or trailing behind. So I stop for a few minutes, listen, and then start to wisthle loud avery few second as I make my way up, watching my dog reaction, searching for any signs that she here or see something.

Well, nada. She turn around a few times once we were pass by maybe 200-300 yards, but nothing in the open. So, I was out of potentiel encounter with the mom.

Turned out to be a nice walk. :)

Comments

• Options
    FroggerFrogger Member Posts: 156

I was bow hunting one fall years ago, & 2 cubs came out of a thicket bout 40 yds up from me on an old road bed; one saw me & sqwalled, then they headed across the road into the brush...I stepped behind a tree just as Mom came crashing out, she stood up & started sniffing the air, then dropped & followed the cubs. I gave 'em 5 minutes then headed to my stand; seen a lot of 'em over the years, but that was closer than I like lol

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517
    edited March 2020

Another rule of thumb while traveling in the west, etc. is to never place yourself between a bull elk and the cows. These animals whether elk, moose, bear, bison, etc. are unpredictable and they will attack without notice. Tourists are ignorant for the most part to wild animals and many are severely injured or killed in their quest for selfies and while obtaining photographs of these animals.

There is a lodge out in the Grand Teton area with an exhibit that contains moose and elk antlers. Try picking up one antler and you will soon realize how lethal they can become via their sheer weight. Annually there are millions of dollars of vehicular damage caused by elk who become enraged by tourists in vehicles and attack the vehicle. These animals are to be respected and you should keep your distance, stay away from them and respect them and their habitat because they WILL attack and are easily provoked by foolish tourists in our National Park areas. 👍🏻☠️☠️☠️

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

I have a huge moose rack. Could have been nasty in its day. Taken in Canada many years ago. Cougars have scared the ---- out of me couple times here in western Washington. Too old to be in the woods these days

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options

Used to be some bison in KY years ago when I was at Ft Campbell, but not free range; those were the 1st I'd ever seen live, big critters even from a distance; there's a bison farm over the mountain from us here in Virginia, but they too are fenced & raised for food. Pal had a huge moose shed he found when he was stationed in Alaska, surprised how big they get...supposedly no cougars in Virginia yet, & a few elk wander into far SW Virginia from KY...I view all wild critters for what they are, WILD...

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

There are plenty of cougars in NJ......oh wait you're not talking about those kind. =)

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options

Lol, for dang sure true lol, in laws used to live near Somers Point NJ before heading to Florida, crap load of 'em along the shore, used to see them at the old Bubba Macs hanging out...Virginia has a thriving population of 'em, I try to stay to avoid their lairs =)

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

In the spring where I walk...there is a wooded section I completely stop visiting for this very reason..better safe than sorry...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

We really do have them in our neighborhood. Black bears. Mauled a lady chasing her pup into the woods a while back. They like to mess with bird feeders, pet food left out. Come through folks yard just to scare the ---- out of them. It works. Several Coyotes (dog kind). Lot of housing crowding the wild life into confined wooded areas.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options

Here's a recent vid someone took & put on farcebook of elk in far SW Virginia, guess they're bringing 'em back east... https://www.facebook.com/lorendavidcuff/videos/10156625085605443/