Options

Shade for trailer

3rdWiseman3rdWiseman Member Posts: 7

I have seen youtube videos where they have an awning high and large enough to cover the trailer and help keep it cooler. I am a solo traveler and would be very interested if anyone has a brand/product name that one person can set up. Many thanks and happy trails!

Comments

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited August 2019

Do NOT get the Paha Que Cottonwood product. It takes two people at a minimum to set up. Rain and wind will add a degree of difficulty not ever imagined. I still use mine in certain situations but tend to shy away. Love it when it’s up however. Conflicted 😐

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

Thanks! :) I am leery of claims for easy setup, and it also seems that easy equals poor quality. I have gone ahead and ordered a shade canopy, it will be here Wednesday, I will post about it after I set it up.
    Just saying, I really like the Batwing awning, pricey but very nice looking and simple for one person. Only thing is, it’s an awning and does not shade directly above the trailer.
    PS my next trip is out your way, I grew up in Pacific Grove, class reunion in September.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

3rdWiseman...best weather on the central coast in September. Have fun!

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I believe an easy shade setup for a solo traveler will be a tall order. Not only would the setup be a challenge, having or getting the trailer underneath could be even more of a contest. The size and weight may be problematic. I look forward to the responses. I have attempted hanging shade sale from trees, but have found the value verses effort may not be worth the effort. I recently experimented with the concept of using suction cups and a tarp. Results looked promising. Cost, weight and easy setup was one of the goals. Best of luck.

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

We almost always stay in state or federal campgrounds and usually get reservations in advance, most reservation online sites have a shade descriptor category and/or pictures, that's how we always get shade for ourT@G, no set up required!

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

We have three canopies. A Coleman Mountain View, Coleman 13x13 pop up with eaves and a Hasika awning. The Hasika is the only or a person could easily put up/take down by themselves.

2017 T@G Max

• Options

I purchased a Crown 11 ft. It is very easy for one person to set up and the peak will clear the top of the trailer by 10-12”. Problem is the sides are not high enough. My plan will be to set it up, place two legs on upside down buckets (which I carry anyway) which will allow me to back under. Then remove the buckets, shade!
    If and when I actually use it in the field I will post again with some pics.

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

@3rdWiseman ...I have seen others use bed leg risers depending on how high you need to lift it...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options

That would work, especially if they leave them raised(?). I am a backpacker and apply the same criteria to trailering, which is keep it light weight and multipurpose as much as possible. Since I carry two buckets for other purposes and they will do this as well. It’s only for a few minutes when I move the trailer in/out of the campsite.
    I do appreciate the feedback! You never know when something may be mentioned that will ring the old “oh yeah” bell in your head.