Options

Generator battery recharge

Hello to all who owns a generator.

We are thinking of getting a generator, we will be heading out for two week by the end of september, and will porbably camp in national park and state park, and our driving distance each day might not be enough to recharge the battery each day. We are not ready for solar yet, we always prefer the shades and do not want to play with a solar panel case since we mostly travel with an open top wrangler.

So question is: what do you gene people use to recharge the battery from a gene. Just the inboard in erter, or should we ge an outside charger to be more efficient. Want to use it the less time possible. And specially not at night.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I use a Baja (BAi911LP) generator from Home Depot ($239), which runs on 1lb or 20lb propane. Runs AC and Nordcold just fine. Also good to top off battery with charger and run projector for movies. I refill my 1lb canisters with no problems (always weight to assure not over or under filled). FYI the Baja is identical to the Ryobi (RYi911LP) generator which Home Depot also sells for $299. The only difference is one has 2 year. verses 3 year warranty. Home Depot Protection plan (2 additional years) costs $35. Attached is a power usage chart if you are interested of the draw from various components. These are measured with a Poniie PN2000 Plug-in Kilowatt Electricity Usage Monitor Electrical Power Consumption Watt Meter Tester w/ Extension Cord (Amazon - $26.99) -
    As far as fuel usage with the Baja Generator - I ran some tests, using the Air Conditioner (constant on) with outside temperatures in the mid-90s. I averaged about 90 grams of propane use for 20 minutes use time. (270g per hr.) With that draw a 1lb Coleman style propane canister would last about 1.8 hours. If you refill the canisters that would be about $.49 of gas. If you tap into the 20lb tank in the front of the T@B (bought 5' extension gas hose $13.99), that you could get over 65 hours of full on usage. That usage is with full on with the AC, which normally would be cycling on and off, so the actual usage would likely be considerably less. -

The charger I use (Schumachor SC-600A) (Amazon $51.50). It does both charge and automatically drops down to Charged/Maintaining mode. Maintenance mode is 2 Amp and charging mode can go up to 6 Amp. I measured 110 Volt power usage at 17-20 Watts. When I am at home, I just place the charger in the tongue box, and that is it. I also take the charger with me when camping with my generator, that way I can quickly charge up the batteries in the morning and maintain with the solar panels throughout the day. (I also utilize a Renogy 100 watt setup with the Voyager controller, which can take another 100 watt panel). -

I believe an external charge is more efficient than using the trailer converter on shore/generator power. The converter itself typically puts out 13.6 volts. You have no easy way to determine if you are in battery charging phase verses battery maintenance. With the external charger I have that knowledge. I utilize the external solar/SAE connector on the tongue box to hook up to my separate charger. A quick plug in and I am charging. The separate charges can also be used for multiple purposes. -

The best thing about the generator I have (after taking back a Costco 1,600 watt unit) is the weight. 26lbs vs 46 lbs. I also do not need to worry about carrying gas in my tow vehicle or trailer. -

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Tank yoy @JamesDow

I did get most of the info you posted here from the other ttreads where you contributed. What I was missing is the info about time to recharge.

I do not have access to the generator you mentionned up here in canada. The ryobi or twin brand are not available at canadian home depot or on theire on line shopping, and Costco only has the Ford 2200 that is to large in size to fit in tye generator basket location on the Outback/Boondock model. And I do not what to order from accross the border of purchase when I will be in the USA for someting like that, cause warranty will be a nightmare if I need it.

I was looking into and thinking about 1000watts or so like you got, but I want the gene to be able to start and run a home fridge and maybe a little more in case of power outage here at home.

So the info I am really looking for right now is time of charge and if I need to carry /transport an other charger. Cause weight and space for me, at least space is at a premium (open top 2 door wrangler with an ARB fridge in the back and 2 dog on passenger seat), and weight, I try to control.

So, again, thank you, I will look into your number and all experience is welcome.

Luc :)

• Options
    STACKSTACK Member Posts: 2

When you charge your battery with a generator and an external battery charger, do you need to/ should you use the battery disconnect switch also or leave the battery connected to the Trailer panel?

I was thinking I have two plugs on the generator. One to power the trailer, then disconnect the battery, and use the other to the battery charger which is connected to the isolated battery?

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

Our smart charger instructs to not run any loads off the battery while charging, but if you are effectively running off of AC via the generator, you aren’t using your battery, so not sure that it matters. Doesn’t hurt to isolate it in this case.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    SealanesSealanes Member Posts: 4

@JamesDow Thank you for your detail. Does the charger you use have an SAE connector or did you have to add. Looks as if most chargers have alligator clips? Thanks

2020 t@g xl edge

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Presently my charger has alligator clips. Keep it that way for flexibility. To charge trailer battery I have rigged an adapter which goes from alligator clips to alligator clips to SAE which I plug in the same SAE as my solar. Charger lays on top of the battery sheltered from the elements. Often just leave it plugged in at home acting as a trickle charger.