Options

Backsplash Materials

I have admired a lot of kitchen backsplashes here on the forum. Most of the ones I like the most "appear" to be actual tile. Are they??...and if they are, how are they applied? Peal and stick, thinset. I have done plenty of tiling in my home. Is this the same?

How is it done??

Thanks,

Thanks,
Greg
2017 Little Guy XL MAX Outback Ed.
1st TV 2015 MB GL450
2nd TV 2016 Mazda CX-5
3rd TV 1999 Ford F350 7.3l diesel

Comments

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

I used the peel and stick brushed stainless available at most big box hardware store.
    Some people use a door kick plate and others get a little more creative and use tin signs.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    Otis_60Otis_60 Member Posts: 37

I'm going with a 10" x 34" kick plate behind the sink/stove and was looking to tile the rest. I'm just not sure how to attach it to the wall. With possible flexing of the trailer, I think thinset would break apart. Plus I'm also considering the weight that this would add for something that does nothing.

Thanks,
    Greg
    2017 Little Guy XL MAX Outback Ed.
    1st TV 2015 MB GL450
    2nd TV 2016 Mazda CX-5
    3rd TV 1999 Ford F350 7.3l diesel

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

There is also the thickness difference between the tile and kick plate to consider.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    HavenwoodHavenwood Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2019

Installed 8x8 Galvanized Steel Flashing Shingles because we wanted an all metal backsplash so we could use magnetic shelves, hooks, spice containers, etc., anywhere on the back wall.

First sanded the wood backsplash then used Loctite Construction Adhesive to attach them. The 8x8 size is an almost perfect fit. Spray painted some half-inch decorative trim a metallic silver and glued it up the sides and along the top to finish it off.

It's worked great for 5 years now.

8 in. x 8 in. Galvanized Steel Flashing Shingles are $17.21 @ Home Depot for a pack of 25, which is more than enough.

• Options
    JumperJumper Member Posts: 70

Home Depot door kickplate.