Options

My new High brake/flasher/parking lights installation

LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
edited October 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades

So, something I have always been scared of, is getting slammed in the back of the trailer, because of distracted drivers or a driver that did not see my trailer lights.

So, I wanted to do a clean and complete job, higher brake light, that also included flasher and driving/parking light. So I went a head and purchased something very similar to the OEM lower brake lights. Took me a while to install them, cause I new that I would need to do some digging in order to connect them.

1st, opening the upper fan acces on boths side, where the hole would be drill for the connector and them pass the cable toward the center to get acces to the ac lower plenum.

2nd, remove the TV and the panel (I still have the original configuration ot the behing the tv empty space. Almost did the mod, but ran out of time. and did the left and right cable junction and drop into the AC plenum.

3rd, remove the lower fan acces panel to drill the lower hole to take the cable to the light cable under the trailer near the frame to splice the wires.

4th, reinstall in reverse order, after sealing all the new holes, lights and cables pass and wire junctions.
And I also reinstalled so reverse lights. Previous install needed some rework, and it was quicker to go a head woth 2 square LED light I had from an other project.

Let their be light!

Comments

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Nice posting.
    This is something I really want to do as well.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

Very smart addition @LuckyJ. I think that would be an easy addition for nuCamp.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

Well done! This is something I have wanted to do from day one. Where did you source the lights from? Much nicer than what I was toying with doing, I was going to use a couple of LED strips mounted to the Yakima crossbars, but I didn't like the idea of the wiring being exposed. I want it to be more of an OEM type look, and you accomplished that.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

I forwarded this thread to nCamp. This is a great idea!

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

Great job (but I think mine is prettier!)

• Options

Yes, it is indeed pretty, but I do think someone else did even better for the look. But I really wanted to have the same function on the top than on the bottom, with flasker, brake and driving for each side.

But to bracket like yours would do the same job,and also better the LED alignment!

At that eight, like mine and yours, for me the goal is more for the next car or truck following a first car/or SUV.

A long tome ago, I was coming back from a trip, and their was night construction on the highway. Alomost miles away, you could see a pickup truck on the left inside lane with the huge yellow light arrow on it's back. I told my self that some idiot would not see it, and ram it in the back and blame the construction company.

Sure enough,the folowing morning in the news, what I was suspecting happend, and the construction company and all the principle of signalisation was change since them with miles of cones and multiple arrows of light.

So since I can not pull a mile of cones behind me,I went with more light.

I will try to find the amazon number. The only thing that looks different is the chrome bisel is not on them, ans the OEM also have the plastic plugs that are made of the same clear material to cover the screws. And with the distance between me and the dealer that now do service in quebec, I decided not to go with parts from Nucamp. but I am sure they are available from them.

Luc