Options

FULL SOLAR TEST

A while back in the late winter I added to my trailer a replacement tongue box with an adjustable 50 watt Renogy solar panel to its top. It has screw releases at each mounting point with an additional 10 ft of cable that runs to inside the trailer cabin to the controller. The panel can be detached from tongue box or tilted forward for better capture of sun rays. That controller is then connected with a short run to the battery that now resides inside the new aluminum tongue box that also is vented for its current wet cell, deep cycle RV battery of about 100 amps. That battery has been in service for two camping seasons and is regularly maintained with a float charger when stored.

While camping this early September I had the opportunity in the Mesa Verde campground to test this system. It did an adequate job, indeed, but I did have to supplement with another little external flex panel Dokio 100 watt remote system (supposedly) to better adjust to sun angle, etc. It helped but did not produce as expected or hoped. So after seeing the results I decided to add a more reliable and better made Renogy 100 watt suitcase and with advice from this forum and study realized that I can run two systems into one battery with each using their own controller. Today, on a beautiful no cloud sky, I gave the additional suitcase and tongue mounted panel a full on try to see how they performed together. One word: splendid!

I added my own #10 solar wire link to the suitcase system along with 30 amp power pole connectors to a Zamp plug for the trailer plug and also modified the solar panel input to the suitcase controller so I could disconnect the solar panels (also using 30 amp power poles) from the controller while setting up and then connect when controller is on battery and suitcase panels situated. Without further explanation, when panels are in place, I turned on everything electrical in trailer (all lights, Norcold running to bring temp down, and cabin exhaust fan (I have the MaxFan with remote-10 speed)- and saw the voltage dip to 12.4 volts on fully charged battery. I let everything run for about 10 minutes and then turned on 50 watt solar panel from a switch I installed in cabin near the controller and hooked up 100 watt suitcase, and immediately saw the volts begin to climb all the way to fully charged and floating! As I checked the suitcase amp reading it was putting out over 6 amp hrs and I can assume that the 50 watt panel was in the neighborhood of 2 to 2.5 amp hours. All this at 14.6 volts going into battery. Within 30-45 minutes everything arrived at float charge and with everything still running, all this on a simple wet cell RV Deep cycle battery. Needless to say, about 150 watts particularly on a sunny day will really keep one in the juice. I know the Norcold was at least drawing 4 amps when cooling down. I started it at ambient temp of 68 outside. Its target was 33 degrees Fahrenheit.

I am much pleased to know that when dry camping even when the sun is low in the sky, there is power available to dry camp through the night for the fridge. With an even better AGM or Gel 100 amp hour battery the system will only increase in capacity on the TAG with its limited electrical draw and conservation that one can do. One of the reasons I went with the tongue box solar panel was to be able to leave it up during the day while not in campground. And when returned to set up the Solar Suitcase while present. Never know what one might find missing if suitcase left out while unattended! I also can use the tongue mounted solar system while in transit and not have to use the trickle charge from vehicle system if a turn off switch is used to turn off the charging wire when not needed, thus less strain on car charging system. I did this on my Ford Edge when the 7 pin plug was added to that TV. These small car alternators may not handle as well as the truck that I have now with a tow package built in. Anyway, many thumbs up to running two solar charging systems on the same battery in the TAG. Picture below is the 50 watt tongue box solar package. Renogy 50 watt panel and 10 amp solar controller used. The solar suitcase is the 100 watt system with a 20 amp solar controller, also Renogy. And by the way I got the solar suitcase for $237 from Renogy when they had a sellout. Beat Amazon by about $20 at that time for same product. Bill

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Bill,
    Sounds like your setup test was a success. Good job!
    I use a 100 Watt Renogy Solar Suitcase with the Voyager controller. ($264 direct from Renogy) Also found it a success at keeping the system charged. I got the 15 foot Renogy extension cable and Renogy MC4 to SAE adapter. This avoids the need to cut off alligator clips. I may want those in the future. The 15 foot range works in nearly all situations I have camped in. It allows me to move things throughout the days, keeping the panel facing the sun and out of the shade. I also use a cable locking system with the suitcase. I run the cable through the handle of the suitcase and lock it to the tongue of the trailer. I also use the Renogy temperature control cable. Can't attest to he value, but I do camp frequently in weather which reaches above 100 degrees. During the day I often crank the Norcold temp down and move it back up late afternoon.
    I find my setup to reach "FULL" after a few hours of direct mid-day sun. Acceptable in my mind.

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

@JamesDow said:
    Bill,
    Sounds like your setup test was a success. Good job!
    I use a 100 Watt Renogy Solar Suitcase with the Voyager controller. ($264 direct from Renogy) Also found it a success at keeping the system charged. I got the 15 foot Renogy extension cable and Renogy MC4 to SAE adapter. This avoids the need to cut off alligator clips. I may want those in the future. The 15 foot range works in nearly all situations I have camped in. It allows me to move things throughout the days, keeping the panel facing the sun and out of the shade. I also use a cable locking system with the suitcase. I run the cable through the handle of the suitcase and lock it to the tongue of the trailer. I also use the Renogy temperature control cable. Can't attest to he value, but I do camp frequently in weather which reaches above 100 degrees. During the day I often crank the Norcold temp down and move it back up late afternoon.
    I find my setup to reach "FULL" after a few hours of direct mid-day sun. Acceptable in my mind.

Sounds like we use pretty much the same set up. With pretty much the same results. I <3 my Renogy suitcase!!

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

As a addition to Renogy solar suitcase, I utilize on occasion a propane powered generator (Baja BAi911LP - Home Depot $239) It runs on 1lb or 20lb propane. Runs AC and projector for movies. Also good to top off battery with charger if necessary. I refill my 1lb canisters with no problems (always weight to assure not over or under filled). The Baja generator is identical to the Home Depot Ryobi (RYi911LP - $299) with the difference of 2-year vs 3-year warranty. I highly recommend the Baja because of the fuel type (propane-no gasoline storage in the tow vehicle) puts out enough power to run everything in a T@B, even all at once along with my projector and battery charger (700/900 Watts) and the best of all (according to my knees), only weighs 26 pounds. That is half the weight of a normal 1,600/2,000 generator.
    A 1 pound propane canister coast about .50 cents worth of refilled propane, which runs the generator for about 4+ hours. I did not take the generator on my recent trip to Lake Powell and Zion. Instead of a generator, I ran my 4 cylinder Rav4 with a 300 watt inverter to power my projector for night movies. The car in idle is actually quitter than any generator I have used.

• Options
    willbingham1willbingham1 Member Posts: 63

Appreciate all the input, folks. Happy camping of the grid. Ain't it fun! Bill