Options

Yakima Awning

Changed out the tie down lines on the Yakima awning. I have a love hate relationship with my awning and I'm really trying to make it better.lol

The factory lines and hardware take up a lot of space when your trying to secure the awning in the cover. I just replaced the lines with 550 cord and removed the tensioners and it made storing the awning so much easier, especially doing it solo.

I also flipped the awning to make it easier to reach. The cussing is definitely getting less when using the awning! Lol

Comments

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

I feel your pain with the awning, we also have a similar love hate relationship with ours. Inverting it helped a lot. And yes those factory ties down tensioners make it awkward to stow neatly without putting a fair amount of stress on the zipper, it can be done but rolling and unrolling to make it happen is a PIA.
    I never even thought of removing them and using different rope as you have done.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I swapped out the tiedowns on my slim shady awning for the same reason, but ultimately returned it to REI as the plastic pole locks just wouldn't lock. I don't give up on mechanical things easily but it became clear to me those were a lost cause. I think they changed the lock design for the pole extensions...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    JumperJumper Member Posts: 70

Knock on wood, the poles are locking out like they should. Before I made these adjustments I wouldn't even use the awning if I was camping alone.

• Options

One of our poles no longer locks, very poorly designed using weak plastic. No point in going the warranty route since those will break as well. So I drilled a few holes so I could have some adjustment and just insert a screw, works perfectly. I then drilled out the rest of the poles with plastic locks and carry extra screws since the rest will eventually break. Not sure why they didn't just use those spring buttons that you find on the legs of collapsible tables. I might try to find some of those that will fit and modify things for next year

Toronto, Ontario Canada

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited November 2019

When I was trying to get mine to work I cleaned out the inside of the poles with alcohol, then ran a steel wool wad through them to give the aluminum a bit of "tooth". That worked for awhile but as DaveyB said, can't compensate for a weak design. The button-springs could work but you'd have to drill a few holes.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

I have already drilled the poles to use a screw as a 'pin'. I will have to open it up and remove a pole to do some measuring to see if a spring button will work. The poles are quite thin and weak so the last thing I want to do is make them weaker by drilling out too much material. Currently the holes are 1/8" and most of the button springs I can find are 6mm (just shy of 1/4"). I won't know for sure until I check it though in a few weeks.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

• Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2019

Same design as the ARB but uses lighter grade components. Also, this same awning, minus the 'Yakima' badging, can be found on rakutan.com (spelling may be off) for about $120 ($90 on sale).

Yescom 7.6'x8.2' Car Side Awning Rooftop Pull Out Tent Shelter PU2000mm UV50+ Shade SUV Outdoor Camping Travel Beige https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075L66ZLX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ulK-DbCW60ZN9

Buy the ARB for its robustness and the ability to add a room at a later date. Buy the cheaply version if you dont mind making the necessary mods and retrofit it with durable hardware.