Options

T@G XL in a Single Car Garage Door?

tacetmantacetman Member Posts: 16
edited November 2019 in T@G & Factory Comments

I've done a search for people facing this problem but haven't found anything. I'm wondering if anyone's ever put a T@G XL Boondock in a "single car" garage. I'm looking at a home right now, and quite frankly it's the only decent thing in my price range, but doesn't have a side yard I could put my T@G, or good street options, or a long enough driveway that I could maneuver around the T@G parked at the end of it.

The way I see it, the only option (other than paying a contractor to build a slab next to the driveway, which would require tree removal and grading of the ground and get pricey), is to parking in the garage.

I had finally gotten over my opposition to parking cars outside (I've garaged my and my wife's cars for 10+ years) to be able to live in this house, only to realize that the 2-car garage has that annoying layout where there are 2, single-car doors on it. I measured today and each is ~95" wide (I believe standard dimension is 96" but my measuring tape said 95). Measuring wheel to wheel on my T@G XL, I get 93", but tough to get a sense for how much the wheel fairings stick out and how hard it would be to maneuver into the 1" clearance on either side. I have a hand dolly for the T@G and am decent with it, but would love to get others' experiences before I commit hundreds of thousands of dollars to a house without a good game plan.

I was wondering if anyone had fit a T@G XL through a single car garage door and how much of a pain it was, or if anyone had faced this problem and if they had a brilliant solution I could use too.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    jjoslynjjoslyn Member Posts: 2

We have the same dimensions on our garage and it just barely fits, but it fits. You have to go in really slow and adjust as you are going. The fenders hit the rubber flaps to the garage and the bike rack touches the top of the door but it works.

• Options

jjoslyn, thanks so much for your reply. Just want to confirm you have the boondock package on your XL? The fenders look a little different between standard and non-boondock and I'm nervous about it.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

To get the measurement of the fenders, put a board down straight along the widest part of fenders and then measure to the insides of the boards.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

ours is tight but it is doable...hand pushing is what we do...hubby is a little stronger than myself so sometimes there's a bit of yelling.... WHOA!..

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    STACKSTACK Member Posts: 2

I have a 2018 Boondock XL. My front gate is 96". I'm off a busy street and an odd angle to back in. I usually just park, disconnect and push in by hand. A lot easier unless you are a lot better than me at backing that trailer up, or you have a lot of room to manuever

• Options

@STACK said:
    I have a 2018 Boondock XL. My front gate is 96". I'm off a busy street and an odd angle to back in. I usually just park, disconnect and push in by hand. A lot easier unless you are a lot better than me at backing that trailer up, or you have a lot of room to manuever

Definitely plan to push by hand. I have a dolly that I am OK - not great - with at maneuvering.

@BBsGarage said:
    To get the measurement of the fenders, put a board down straight along the widest part of fenders and then measure to the insides of the boards.

Good idea. I'll try that tonight. Would still love others' anecdotes since even if I can get it to "technically" fit, sometimes execution is more difficult than theory. Also looks like if the board isn't plumb by even 5 degrees I might gain or lose an inch...and with only 2-4" clearance I'm nervous.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Sometimes the only way to know for sure is to try. Very carefully in this case, but try none the less. =)

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    JayJay Member Posts: 71

I also have a regular T&G XL, hand push into the single. The fenders hit the rubbers on each side, but it fits.

• Options
    jjoslynjjoslyn Member Posts: 2

@tacetman said:
    jjoslyn, thanks so much for your reply. Just want to confirm you have the boondock package on your XL?

Yes, I have the boondock XL. I didn’t mention, we back it in by hand, two of us going inch by inch until the fenders clear.

• Options

Welp, as BBsGarage said, the only way to know for sure is to try. We asked our realtor if we could bring the T@G out and try it in the house and did so today. You all had great information - it brushed the rubber flaps but it fit!

Forgot to mention the driveway's about a 6 degree grade (down into the driveway). Backing that thing down with the dolly was scary to say the least!

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Congratulations on your new parking spot.

• Options
    OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110
    edited November 2019

We have the regular T@G XL and a 2-car garage with separate doors. We have a few inches margin on either side b/w the fenders and the rubber seal flaps when going in or out. We keep an eye on it and it's no big deal. For the winter months we store it in a self-storage facility so I can park inside our garage, and the clearance margins there are roughly the same.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Options
    royh210royh210 Member Posts: 22
    edited May 2021

Pick up is Sat. We'll be storing ours in the garage also. It's going to be a tight squeeze through the garage door. Our garage measures in right at 95" from the stop molding on both sides. Crossing fingers it'll fit. If all else fails I may need to cut the stop molding high enough for the wheels to clear and making that peice removable.

2021 NuCamp T@G XL Boondock 🎣

2012 Kia Sportage🚙

• Options
    JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198

Our XL is in the garage. At first I was stupid enough to use the single door then figured it were easier to bring it in the double door and maneuver it to the single side. Man, it were exact science going through the single door.