Options

TV & battery security

tdillonstdillons Member Posts: 9

Good morning! Just purchased a (previously loved) 2018 T@G XL Max Outback edition and really excited about the adventures ahead. Pulling it successfully with our 4 cylinder crossover - yeah! A couple of questions for the community out there ... Tips for getting TV/sound up and running in most simple and efficient way? (Anybody had success with Roku?) ALSO, recommended ways to deter theft from battery box near hitch? Any other important first-time teardrop wisdom you can share with a couple newbies is much appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Congratulations!

I tow my T@G with a 4 cylinder RAV4. No problems or issues, just will drop down a few gears when driving in the mountains.

• I found that the sound from the Jensen head unit is quiet. Thought it was not working until I turned it way up. As for adding a video input via USB. You may need to try another way. I found with my 2018 T@G that the USB input worked with music and photos, but not video. What I ended up doing was adding a shelf by the converter/fuse box and then bought a used Sony BDP-S3700 Smart Blue Ray player (Ebay $36.99) and from that run it into the HDMI of the Jensen Television. The Sony has the appropriate USB port for my hard drive with movies and also a Fire Stick if I elect. The Sony worked well since the power-brick supplied with it was 12 volt. Cut the cord and added a 12-volt cigarette style adapter. Just plug it in below when needed. I also have brought with me an Echo Dot 2nd generation, which is powered with a standard USB cord. I have included some photos of my shelf, which was installed using 3M removable Command Hooks.
    • As for the battery, I would suggest nothing. But if so inclined, just make up a cable, strap it around the plastic box and put a padlock on it.
    • I also use a Baja (BAi911LP) generator from Home Depot ($239), which runs on 1lb or 20lb propane. Runs AC and Nordcold just fine. Also good to top off battery with charger and run projector for movies. I refill my 1lb canisters with no problems (always weight to assure not over/under filled). FYI the Baja is identical to the Ryobi (RYi911LP) generator which Home Depot also sells for $299. The only difference is one has 2 year. verses 3 year warranty. Home Depot Protection plan (2 additional years) costs $35. Attached is a power usage chart if you are interested of the draw from various components. These are measured with a Poniie PN2000 Plug-in Kilowatt Electricity Usage Monitor Electrical Power Consumption Watt Meter Tester w/ Extension Cord (Amazon - $26.99)
    • I installed indoor/outdoor carpet over the entire floor of the teardrop. (Under the mattresses, which I usually stack when not in tandem use) It is light weight and flexible, so it does not really interfere when accessing the underfloor storage. It has a rubber backing, so it does not slip around, slows down any spills from getting to the wood floor and is semi breathable. If I feel it has become moist, as camping in the rain, I roll it up when I get home, remove and let it dry out completely. Really easy. I makes moving about in the camper much easier form me and my wife. Small rocks, etc. do not get to the floor to scratch it up. Costco sells some for about $19, 6x9 #1208027 made by Foss, which weighs 5lb 1oz. I highly recommend.
    • I have the Renogy solar suitcase w/Voyager controller (100watt). The nice thing is that you do not need to do anything special to connect to your battery. I did find that my battery was not connected to TAB Zamp connection. Simple fix, making sure you hook it up correctly. I also got the 15 foot Renogy extension cable and Renogy MC4 to SAE adapter. This avoids the need to cut off alligator clips. I may want those in the future. I bought some vinyl coated galvanized steel cable from Home Depot, made loops at each end and bought a lock. Running the cable through the Renogy carry handle and locking it up provides some theft deterrent.
    • A recent addition I made was a simple windscreen for the stove burners. Bought a 24” x 1.5” galvanized metal strip from Home Depot, bent it in two places and called it done.
    • Welcome to the Forum!

--SHELF--

--WINDSCREEN--

__POWER USAGE__

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Just noted that Roku uses HDMI as output. Get a 3-foot HDMI extension cord male/female and plug into the back of the television. Should work.

• Options

Thanks so much, James, for taking the time to share this information, including photos. Really appreciate your ideas! We are enjoying our T@G very much - figuring things out a step at a time!

• Options
    OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110

As I have mentioned elsewhere in this forum, we simply download whatever we want from streaming services like Netflix and Prime onto my Android tablet and, on rainy nights, play it on the Jensen TV with a micro HDMI to HDMI adapter from the tablet to HDMI cable to the TV. Sound is routed to upgraded ceiling speakers through the Jensen head unit Aux 1. We keep a small library of video stored on the tablet for a rainy day. Er, uh, rainy night.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Options

Sounds simple ... we'll just have to plan ahead! Thanks, Ed!

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

I do the same thing as noted above and use the HDMI to iPhone style adapter and mirror it to the TV in the trailer as reception allows. You can but the adapters at Walmart for around $35. Pluto TV is free and it has some interesting channels, obviously isn’t on par with some if the pay style TV apps but is good enough for traveling purposes. There are many free TV and movie channels out there for iPhones, etc.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400