Options

Bike Hitch on back of T@G

BlueTAGBlueTAG Member Posts: 21
edited December 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades

Has anyone been successful in welding a bike hitch on the back of their T@G? I was thinking I would need to weld metal support across the back from the frame on both sides and then weld the hitch sleeve on to it out the back. Would like to hear if this is a possibility and from those that were successful. Also, would like to know if the extra weight in the back of the T@G causes any drive-ability problems. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

Why would you want the bikes on the rear? I think it would be a lot of work to fab something up that would be strong enough.
    Personally, I would put bike rack on the tongue. There's just too many cases of bikes falling off, racks breaking, etc with bike racks on the back of trailers.
    Things like the Jack it or Up N Front are two popular solutions that come to mind, when the time comes that's the way I will do things.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

There have been very bad things that happen to bike racks due to physics being way out back. Give it a google.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    JayJay Member Posts: 71

I have a jack it in the front for two bikes, works very easy and does not get the way of loading the Tow V or front storage, very easy to mount, very easy to load bikes and very secure

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2019

I use the Jack-it, but I am not too happy with it. The bikes will move and they are not secure enough up there for my liking, and it's difficult to get them up there and hung properly by yourself, especially if you are putting mountain bikes up there. I use a Thule two bike rack normally on the back of my Jeep, one that holds the tires down on a cradle. I like that option a lot better than a rack that secures via the frame or uses rubber straps. I am looking into getting some kind of tongue system I can use where I can just plug my Thule into it and use my regular rack. But I would NEVER put my bikes on the back of the T@g. There's a reason why the trailer doesn't come with an easy mounting solution back there.
    I was looking at the Stomberg-Carlson mount, but I don't think it would work properly on the Boondock because of the rack.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517
    edited December 2019

@BlueTAG said:
    Has anyone been successful in welding a bike hitch on the back of their T@G? I was thinking I would need to weld metal support across the back from the frame on both sides and then weld the hitch sleeve on to it out the back. Would like to hear if this is a possibility and from those that were successful. Also, would like to know if the extra weight in the back of the T@G causes any drive-ability problems. Thanks

This is a bad idea to put it nicely. There are a lot of dynamics taking place when you place anything like his at the rear of these trailers. It is similar to a fishing pole and creates a whip type action and ends up placing a lot of force and stress on metal, often resulting in metal fatigue and catastrophic failure.

I've owned 5 of these teardrop trailers, have hauled bikes on the rear coast to coast and nearly lost a bike in the Black Hills of South Dakota. I also found metal fatigue on the bike rack and had to have it welded up to get back to Michigan. I also know a lady who lost a couple of bikes on the highway up in Glacier NP. Another friend had issues too and nearly lost her bike. With that said, I went to an Arvika bike rack mounted on the front tongue of the trailer and IMHO, believe that this is the safest area to place bikes as you do not get the whip saw action at the rear. Save yourself a lot of work and heartache down the road, look for a tongue mounted rack and eliminate future problems.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89

Ya ever hit your shin on a reciever? Think about where the galley is, where you'll be cooking meals, grabbing snacks... and then suddenly theres a reciever there. I thought about doing the same thing until those things were pointed out to me. Mount them on the top on the yakima rack or on top of the tow vehicle. Avoid drive throughs thereafter

• Options
    JayJay Member Posts: 71

Like I said a few posts up, I have a Jack It on the front of my T&G XL, towed it 7600km this summer with two bikes, NO issues, safe a secure, certainly lower in height to put bikes on than my TV or on roof racks on top of the trailer, I have done the bikes onto of my TV when I didn't have a trailer and always need a stool or picnic table to help, I am not too tall. No stool or picnic table need with the Jack It..just my opinion..:)

• Options
    HitechHitech Member Posts: 36

I’ve cut out an opening in my rear bumper and doing similar to what you describe. Going to weld that in place and run an extension to the frame further under the trailer at a slight downward angle. That will keep the up and down flex In check vs the thin walled framing of welding it just through the read bumper. The only issue I’ve found from my dry fit of parts is I don’t want the receiver to stick out and catch my shin at the kitchen either. That requires the pin to be behind the bumper. Slightly awkward but accessible, and you don’t put it in and off but once a trip. I’m hoping weld this up over the holiday break. I’ll post pics and tell you how rigid the whole thing is when done.

T@G XL
    2017 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock

• Options
    HitechHitech Member Posts: 36

Here’s my completed hitch. Needed to weld the components in place to get the angles I wanted. Wanted it pretty flush so the pin hole is on the underside. Put in a trailer hitch and stood on it. I’m 220 lbs and it was quite solid. Going to sand it and blend the paint a little better. Think its going to work great!

T@G XL
    2017 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock

• Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

Good luck. Keep us posted after a few thousand miles.

2014 T@G