Brakes on TaGs

GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271
edited February 2021 in Trailers & Towing

We have a recently purchased 2017 T@G XL. Seems that I do not have brakes. Was that an option? No obvious brake hubs or brake away cable.

Gig Harbor Tom
Trl '17 T@G Max
TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

Comments

• BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

There are kits available to do it yourself or any trailer place would also be able to add them.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517

Most of the smaller trailers do not come standard with brakes. But yes, they will certainly add them on per your request during the build of a new trailer if you desire them.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

As far I as knew the only T@gs that came with brakes were the boondocks...although like @Michigan_Mike said if it was a new build it could be ordered with them...our 2017 T@G Max Xl does not...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

That's interesting. I did not know T@Gs didn't come with brakes. Glad I got the outbackboondockmegamini edition. In my (not so) humble opinion, T@Gs should have em.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 132

@WilliamA said:
    That's interesting. I did not know T@Gs didn't come with brakes. Glad I got the outbackboondockmegamini edition. In my (not so) humble opinion, T@Gs should have em.

I disagree. I have a 2015 T@G (not XL) and I have never once felt like I needed brakes, even towing through the PA mountains. My Subaru handles it just fine. Brakes would have been an added expense that is unnecessary for my needs.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

I agree with @WilliamA and add that every trailer should have brakes. I suspect that NuCamp is now making brakes standard in order to be compliant in all states. New York, Nevada, for example require trailer brakes on anything over 1000lbs, and California is I think 1500. So even the base T@G 5w with some water on board will be over 1000lbs. Also a few provinces here in Canada require trailer brakes over 1000lbs.
    Mine has brakes and I have not used them. It performs well without them so far, but with that said I don't feel it will perform as well in less than ideal conditions. I plan on using them this season, it should help reduce wear on the TV brakes and give me added control should I ever need to panic stop downhill on a wet road on a curve.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I have a 2018 T@G and keep additional items of weight in the trailer to a bare minimum. My trailer does not have brakes and at this point, I do not feel they are necessary. (In CA the requirement starts at 1,500 lbs.) I have never had to slam on my brakes while towing, so the emergency stopping distance has not been tested.

• DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

Nevada also 1500 not 1000, NC was 1000.
    I did have to do a quick almost stop from 60mph down to 15mph when the driver in front of me suddenly decided to turn into a driveway no signal nothing. I was surprised how well the trailer and car handled it, under 100ft and the car ABS didn't even kick in. Our Boondock empty specs at around 1600lbs and I know they way we load it we likely are around 17-1800, my tongue is usually in the 180-190 range. The beauty of a deisel with a manual gearbox I have loads of tow torque for hills and loads of compression to help with braking, most of the time I can drive in such a way that I'm not really using brakes, just touching the pedal to make the lights come on as a courtesy to those behind me.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148

Mine has brakes.......but I did add them. Easy to do.

• GolfervGolferv Member Posts: 4

Bob297,

Aprox cost of adding brakes?

thanks

• Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148

@Golferv said:
    Bob297,
    Aprox cost of adding brakes?

thanks

Look here: https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/981/added-brakes#latest

The parts shown have increased in price a lot since I did mine.

• rasras Member Posts: 173
    edited February 2021

I drove my 2015 Tag from North Carolina to North Dakota and back this fall without a care in the world. And I've towed much heavier loads on a 6-12 utility trailer. I always keep 5 to 10 car lengths behind whatever is in front of me. If you follow the safe driving rules they taught us in Drivers Ed back in the 60s, I don't think you'll need trailer brakes on a light weight trailer. You'll tick off some drivers who think you should be right on the tail of the car in front of you but who gives a darn. Of course, correct tongue weight helps..

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

The brakes became standard with the Outback/boondock model in 2017 if not just before that. Reason is, regular T@G were officialy below 1000 lbs, and outback/boondock starting at 1200lbs dry.

I was not used to trailer brakes before our 2017 T@G outback and was used to heavier load with the same TV. The brakes simply made life easier brought better contole if needed.

Is it necessary, I do not think so. It is better, absolutely. It is like inssurance, I do not remember the last time I called my j surrance company for anything else than windows but I sure like to be inssured. Trailer brake are now the same for me. Specialy on long and steep hills like we have in y area and other places.

I am also not a foot on the brake type of person. But knkwing they are there and that they work very well is nice. So much that I will be upgrading them to 10" from the 7" they are noe and will sloly had brakes to my other trailers.

• pattycakepattycake Member Posts: 4

Thanks to all for advice about brakes. I have a 2017 Tag Max. No brakes. I'm new to pulling a trailer, so from what I've read here, it would be good to get brakes installed.

I have a 2018 T@G Max pulled with a Rav4. I drive in and through the mountains. I have yet to say to myself "I wish I had trailer brakes"

I do make sure my tow vehicle is in good shape and put minimum weight in the trailer.

Currently the T@G meets the California vehicle requirements.

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

When the weather and road conditions start to deteriorate, brakes are essential. When stopping in an emergency, they're a must. When going off-road, absolutely a must. But like a fire extinguisher, epi-pen or jumper cables, you "almost" never need them. Me personally, I wouldn't pull my trailer from the garage to the mailbox without them. But then, I don't wait for the "perfect" weather day to go camping. My life just hasn't worked that way.

Somewhere, down a road, is a spot where you'll need them. And when you find that you do need them, you'll be amazed at how inexpensive they are.....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

I know that brakes are safer, but I have a 2017 T@g xl, which has no brakes. Is it safe to drive in the mountains?

I just completrd a 6,300+ mile trip to Michigan from San Diego. 2018 5-wide tag with a 2012 Toyota Rav4. No brakes. I had no problems whatsoever. Lightly loaded T@G. One hard stop after a few warning slowdowns and almost got rear ended. Can't control the idiot behind. Flat big city traffic. No control issues. Yes drive with cautions in mountains. Drop down a gear or two going downhill.

Yes I felt very safe.

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited September 2021

@JamesDow this is awesome! Imagine then how easy it would have been with brakes! 😊

As for the bumper huggers, not much to do other than keeping more distance in front of you and being able to make slow stops.

This is also why I have installed redundant brake and turn light above the galley hatch. I hope that it will draw more attention. 🤔

Thank you Jim and Lucky! Made me feel a bit safer.