Nebraska Ideas?

HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140
edited February 2020 in Camping & Travel

Going to Custer State Park in Sep of this year (for the buffalo roundup), starting in Kansas City, KS. I can go most any way, but knowing NOTHING about Nebraska and have no idea what things are worth seeing. Any suggestions? Other than hitting Badlands on the way up or back and the sites around Custer/Devil's Tower/Rushmore/Wind Cave I have no plans.

I searched the forum for "Nebraska"...not much luck.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2014 T@G

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 622

@HellFish, there are multiple postings regarding Custer, buffalo etc over on the Tab forum. You may want to try there.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Nebraska is a fantastic destination, from Scott's Bluff north through Fort Robinson and the "mini" Badlands. There is enough stuff around the Ft Robinson area to keep history buffs busy for a month. I did a write-up on the area last year. I'll dig up the link. Ft Robinson is not to be missed for history buffs. There is a great State park there with a wonderful campground.

I'm hoping to get back there sometime.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited February 2020

Well, crap. I can't find any specific thread on my trip there but do a quick search for "Fort Robinson" and you'll find a number of photos I've posted related to it. The State Park Campground is fantastic! It's right on the old fort and is surrounded by tons of things to see, some in walking distance. From there, it's a bit of a drive north up to hwy 90 but the drive is austere and beautiful. Roads are fine and well-marked. The mini-badlands on the Ne/SD border are quite nice.

I dragged out a photo of the Campsite:

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Two years ago we made a 5900 mile 5 week trip that took in the Black Hills, Mt Rushmore etc. Church/RV un buddy from Nebraska suggests Ogallala, Lake McConaughey is an area not to miss. I 76 east and west, 26 from the north.
    We Spent 10 days or so at Horse Thief Camp Ground outside of Hill City SD. Black Hills. Rustic but fun. Full Hookups, good showers. Stayed extra days.
    Lots of cool stuff within a day trip. Custer, Mt Rushmore, Deadwood etc.
    We made a loop coming from Washington State across Montana ETC and down. From the black Hills we went south to Santa Fe And Sedona. Went around Phoenix, over to San Diego, up to relatives around LA, Relatives at Lake Port CA, up to some favorite spots on the Ore and WA coast. In fact we stayed at West Port WA for a week before meeting up with old Teardrop friends from long ago, at Mayfield Lake.
    Then home after a few more days dinging around.
    Any who lots of interesting areas. Wish we had gone on to the places mentioned in Nebraska.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• gtogto Member Posts: 25

Scott’s Bluff NM is an 800 ft bluff with a road to the top! The view is breathtaking. The areas has fossils just protruding out of the hillside. Yes, it’s NPS, no you can’t collect. North is Agate Fossil Beds which is worth seeing. Fossil bear dog dens preserved. There used to be a campground near the monument at Scott’s bluff..not sure now. Neat area to spend a little time.

• HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

Thanks all for the info.

2014 T@G