License Plate Relocation

There is just not enough time in a day. Have too many projects.....Today I got the license plate relocated to door. As you can see I am also adding a mural. Wiring is not complete as I need to do the Mandy mod to get access to wiring. At this point, the 16 gauge wire stops at the light. I drilled a 1/4” hole and just pushed the wire up to the light. I need to drop the TV to get to the wiring so I can pull it through. Not shown, I installed the meme galley wing walls. They are great!

Comments

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

love the plate there..luckily I requested ours to be put there when we ordered...had heard of too many problems when it was on the frame..LOVE your artwork!

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148

@ontheroad said:
    love the plate there..luckily I requested ours to be put there when we ordered...had heard of too many problems when it was on the frame..LOVE your artwork!

Thank you. It was too windy to install the Mural, now it’s gonna snow. I’ll get to it in time. Keeping the old license plate light there for now. Thinking about using that power for an anytime/backup camera.

edited September 2021

Tapped license plate light into running lights and it works! LEDs on plate are bright. Removed old license plate frame and light. Tapped off end for possible use of a back up camera. Plugged 5/8” hole with grommet. Looks good. The mural was not cut all the way through, so couldn’t install. Seller is replacing mural. Installed nuCamp decal above plate. Now it will make you wonder is that a ‘17 or newer T@G.

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

@Bob297 ...looks good!

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

edited September 2021

Finally a nice day to install the replacement mural. Plus the ones on the doors

Edit: Updated pic

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 655
  • rasras Member Posts: 190
    edited February 2021

Finished relocating my plate this morning.
    When I found a solar license plate light, I decided to skip rewiring the license plate light. We seldom drive after dark or before light anyway. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KAJ9XM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Of course the jury is still out. We'll have to see how it holds up.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• MntnpeakMntnpeak Member Posts: 2

I'm wondering if you had any specs as to where to place the license plate frame for this relocation, or did you just go with a best guess? I finally got a hold of the license plate holder, so that we could relocate ours. We've lost 4 license plates on our 2016. Did you eventually wire in the light? I'd really appreciate any advice you can send my way.

I just went with a best guess. I didn't have the new license plate holder, I used black plastic shims similar to these https://www.lowes.com/pd/Nelson-Wood-Shims-12-Count-1-3-8-in-x-7-1-2-in-Composite-Shims/3731971 (except for color) and glue to build curved supports that held the plate perpendicular to the road..

RV 2016 T@G 5W

• arubinoarubino Member Posts: 12
    edited June 11
    hi - I am attempting this.  I have a plate holder with LED light, how did you tap into the wires.  I can trace back the connected wires now with a multimeter but didn't know if you had a better way?  I also can not remove the ring around that LED light in the hatch, man that thing is stuck.  I may have to run a 1/4" cover around the wires to the hatch...did you find anything structural in the hatch, ie: does it have the beams running parallel to the ground or vertical?  there has to be one for the LED light I would think...perhaps not...any advice is appreciated.  I will be trying this and try to report back what I run into.
    I mounted a little solar powered light with a manual on-off switch over the license plate holder.  Believe I got it on Amazon.  Don't know how long it stays on but I never drive more than an hour or two in the dark (Taking a break from camping, let's go find a motel) and it works fine for that.

RV 2016 T@G 5W

• arubinoarubino Member Posts: 12
    I have dug into this and have it working, I have to clean up the install.  This is what I found:I tapped into the driver rear side light loom and routed those wires up to the top of the hatch.  I couldn't remove the LED light and didn't want to break the light's ring so I brought a loom around the perimeter of the hatch door and drilled 3 holes into the hatch; 2 for the plate holder and 1 for the wires to come through.  A word of caution on the license plate holder I had...I used Thule's license plate holder which is lit by LED's.  Looks cool, like the OEM version, and covers the bases.  It comes with an SAE connector that I wanted to keep intact.  So I used a flying lead cable with SAE connector and tested.  DIdn't light...tested the current, takes 80mA from the battery directly.  In this configuration, directly to the battery, LED works.  Went back and tested the sidelight; only had 42mA...maybe current? I was using 18AWG, maybe wire size?  I tried another little bit of a thicker gauge flying lead wire and used spade connectors so I could test swap if I needed, and it worked?  I was sort of at a loss on that one...but to say LED's are finicky...anyways, I will show images when its cleaned up.