Options

Park Closings...

2»

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Was planning on camping on BLM land this coming weekend but I'm going to honor the stay-at-home order by the governor of California instead. I think it is the right thing to do.

• Options
    FroggerFrogger Member Posts: 156

@Hikin...just saw that on a pop up camper site...the liquor stores here in Va were deemed essential, & you can be on a beach IF you are fishing, both allowed no doubt since they bring in revenue; state parks bring in a crap load as well, but the concern about travelers & those departing high infection areas & heading for campgrounds/cabins no doubt shut the parks down. Lot of places are taking down b-ball rims & closing local parks as well as Green Ways...

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Not sure this is appropriate for everyone, but some will remember I'm a big fan of day camping. I am planning to do that around here and take my fishing rod. There are many places I frequent ( fishing) where I rarely see a soul all day. Could be a thing for some. Our parks are closed, but the rivers are open.....
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Texas closed all their State Parks yesterday. A sad thing to see. I hate this, "Hide under your desk" stuff. I am glad we are beginning to see that this thing may be turning around. I just pray when they let us all go back out to play that we aren't releasing a new group of people to get infected and the whole thing starts over again.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148

Our local news says Yellowstone scheduled to reopen in May

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Took a trip around Hood Canal here in Washington. Just got in a couple hours ago.
    All state and National parks are closed. Johns are all locked up. Velly Interesting.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    edited April 2020

@GigHarborTom said:
    Took a trip around Hood Canal here in Washington. Just got in a couple hours ago.
    All state and National parks are closed. Johns are all locked up. Velly Interesting.

Same in Wi. It's probably just me, but I find it interesting that our public officials will go to any length to protect us by not allowing anyone to use a pit toilet, (generally considered a single occupancy job) but don't have any problem with masses huddled together for hours to be able to vote. Call me a cynic, but........
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Texas State Parks reopen Monday, April 20. But we have to wear a mask, stay apart from people and no more than 5 people together. I'm good with that for now.

• Options

@ Hikinmike--saw that on a pop up site I'm on, good deal...hoping Va. will go a similar route at least by May, but not counting on it...

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

@HikinMike ...from what I heard it was day use only for Texas State Parks...but a step in the right direction.. they'll be monitoring it I'm sure

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options

@ ontheroad--you're correct, day use/mask/no more than 5 together, checked w/ a dude from TX; the OP thought it was overnight...

• Options

I saw day use too after reading the details. Day Use is No Use for me as I imagine it is with many others.

• Options

We have an indoor storage 5 minutes from the state park we usually go to that we keep kayaks/paddles extra gear in, we'll hit it for a day every once in awhile, but doubt the gov here is gonna bend from his June 10th mandate for overnight camping, we'll see; the OP on the other site was gonna load up & go, glad y'all said something...

• Options

Locke n
    up the poopers pretty much keeps me home even from a decent mile or two walk/hike. Damn, we had hoped to be heading out by now.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options

Texas State Parks will re-open for overnight camping May 18! Of course, there will be restrictions but that's better than nothing.

• Options

And it looks like Oklahoma State Parks are open as well.

• Options
    engineer101engineer101 Member Posts: 22

Indiana campgrounds open May 24th.

• Options
    PatSeinerPatSeiner Member Posts: 5

South Dakota state parks are open with limited services. Comfort stations (flush toilets, showers, & water fountains not available). Social distancing encouraged.

• Options

Private campgrounds in Virginia to open, a no go on overnight camping at state parks still in effect...

• Options
    Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148

I am not a subscriber to this channel, but they have some useful info on National Parks.

https://youtu.be/4z_RJ8rxXvA

• Options

Awesome!

• Options

Texas State Parks are open as of yesterday. The few I frequent booked up fast.

• Options

We are checking down along the Columbia River SW WA.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options
    HerdHerd Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2020

WV State Parks open with 30% discount for State residents.

I had a reservation at Bluestone state park near Hinton Wv for 5/39-31 but got the call the campground is underwater. Got on recreation.gov and reserved a spot in VA at lake Moo Maw in the Bolar recreation area. Paid the money and received the confirmation. My wife convinced me to call and make sure they were open and found out they are not. The web site was taking reservations and payments for this weekend the 29-31. Spoke with the campground and was told 15-30 people had same situation.

So going to Tygart Lake in Grafton WV this weekend. Fingers crossed nothing else happens. Going to be a busy interesting summer in the Mountain State.

• Options
    Old_DaveOld_Dave Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    edited June 2020

When life gives you lemons......

We have been dragging our trailer around obsessively just looking for little spots to day-camp and while there hasn't been much overnighting, we've found tons of nooks and crannies to sneak into and enjoy being with each other, picnicking, slapping mosquitos and deer flies just like real camping. In literature, one can find the allegory in a couple of books that I have read:

Albert Camu's "The Plague"

And

Gabriel Garcia Marquez' "Love in the time of Cholera"

Each of those works will take the reader into a world not unlike our own current society, where people live otherwise normal lives in extraordinary circumstances. The one (Camu) is a dark, foreboding, depressing existence while the other takes the lemons and squeezes out lemonade. Adventure is as much a state of being as it is a physical thing. The "process" of working through tribulation will always be more important (and memorable) than any product of that tribulation.

In the movie "LeMans", Steve Macqueen sums it up as well as any:

"When I'm racing, racing IS life. Everything else is just waiting".

Having made a choice between Camu's bleak, depressing description of our times, or Marquez' lyrical, lighthearted squeezing of the lemons, I chose Marquez'. I practice social distancing, wear a mask in public and clean my hands. That's the lemons of our time. I also, in the height of a global pandemic (May 6th), chose to get married...in a parking lot at the courthouse...by a judge wearing a mask...

The racing....or the waiting...is entirely within our control. I choose racing.

Go. Do.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

Congratulation @WilliamA! Yeah for the lemonade!

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options

Hang in there folks. I was hospitalized in 57 with the Asian Flu. My dad lost his mom and three siblings during the flu from WW!. He was only 14 I think.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

Luckily we did some camping in the winter months...looking forward to actually eating some produce from my garden this summer...as the saying goes... there's always next year...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder