Options

Lowering a Tag outback

Looking at a tag out back, but will sometimes be using it local off-road and sometimes going cross country on highway pulling behind a small car. Any idea How it could be lowered to lessen wind resistance when now going off road? Is there different frame under the outback vs the regular tag?

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Don't bother with changing the wind resistance.
    The real difference is the axel. Only conceivable way would be to change out tire sizes.
    I tow T@G (non outback) with a 4cyl Rav4. My MPG may change by 15% from no load/no tow to full load with tow. Over a 3,000 mile trip it may cost me $100 more in gas. Not a big deal in the grand scope of things.
    Relax and enjoy the trip.

• Options
    FroggerFrogger Member Posts: 156

Good question; wife asked me if you could go down in tire size awhile back, I have no clue...

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I have a T@G Boondock (new version of the Outback). The frame is the same I believe. A smaller tire may look a little odd with those big Fenders. Its a combination of suspension and tires which gives the lift. I tow with a 4Runner and the T@G is a 5 wide, so the whole trailer tucks neatly behind my vehicle. My mileage still isn't very good. But it isnt bad either.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    AustinHealeyAustinHealey Member Posts: 66

Thanks guys! Hope to pull with a Volvo c 70 convertible for now, later with a RAV 4 adventure when we eventually trade vehicles. Thanks for your information.

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

@AustinHealey if you get the Boondock/Outback, keep in mind hitch ball height is around 21 inches. Make sure you sort out the vehicle side of things first. You may be better off to pay a little more to get a custom 2 inch receiver made for you car (as I did) since there are far more 'rise' options for this size. In my case I needed a rise of 9 inches and that is not an option with a smaller than 2 inch rec.
    I also investigated/researched smaller tire/wheel configurations and decided against it due to the cost being similar to the cost of a custom hitch. Also in order to maintain a somewhat decent 'look' new wheels/tires would only lower things by at the most 2 inches.
    Like you, we are towing with a car and have plans for an upgrade soon to a larger SUV or truck based vehicle, so we wanted the Boondock with that in mind and just found a way to make it work.
    As for towing it with a car, it is fine and tows very nice. The same rules apply for all towing no matter what your tow vehicle is, dial back your speed a little, allow more braking distance, and be conscientious of loaded weight and tongue weight.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Those are good points. Your trailer needs to be level when towing. As mentioned, I have the 4Runner TRD Pro which has a lift from the factory. I put an additional 3 inch lift with heavy duty springs on the rear. So my TV is high. To have my Boondock trailer level, my drop hitch isnt much lower than the receiver.

If your TV is a car, you will have to really raise the receiver way up to tow a Boondock level. As DaveB suggested, you may very well want someone to make you a custom hitch/receiver.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe