Replace propane tank with a 1 lb bottle

ssimonsonssimonson Member Posts: 17
edited April 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades

Being from Texas and seeing no need for a 20 lb tank to operate the galley stove top. I switch the 20 lb tank to a 1 lb disposable bottle. This opens the usage options for the front storage. I have been using Quick Fist tool mounts for several years to hold my ax and shovel for overlanding with great success. I am now trying it for the 1 lb propane cylinder, using the "END OF ROAD - 20020 Super Quick Fist Clamp for mounting tools & equipment 2-1/2" - 9-1/2" diameter". My setup also requires a 1 lb propane bottle adapter to connect the bottle to the existing propane connector, works well too.

If anyone has switch to a 1 lb propane cylinder, please let me know how it has worked out for you. I have not traveled with this setup to testing it out in the field due to Covid-19 but plan to do so when we get the all-clear.

My goal is to help someone with mounting options for a 1 lb bottle and to hear your feedback on pros and cons that you may see.

PS - I am not trying to get a discussion on weather it is legal or not, good or bad to refill 1 lb bottles. (I prefer not to refill)

Comments

• Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

I haven’t been to altitude yet but have had zero problems with my 1lb setup. Nice setup!

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2020

I am also not trying to start a skin-scratchin' contest, but have had mixed results with the 1# cylinders. Mostly it comes from my experience with them in cold conditions. I have determined that when using them on my stove when temps are below about 40 degrees or so, they would lose a significant amount of pressure. This resulted in poor performance from the stove. For example, when I was in Moab, UT ( el 4700 ish) last March, the a.m. temps were in the mid 30's. None of my 3 bottles would boil coffee water. I switched to a rented 20# cylinder and had no problems thereafter. I purchased a 5# lb. Cylinder and have had zero problems since, camping in weather as low as 10 degrees. It's possible that there were other issues as well, i.e. regulator freezing.
    I still carry a couple of 1 lb cylinders for what-if's, but won't depend on them as a primary heat source.
    I agree about refilling them. A buddy of mine used to refill his cylinders until he blew the lid off of his truck bed-box when one exploded, breaking the back window of his truck. He now buys refillable 1 lb cylinders.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

edited April 2020

Also, haven't heard or read anything about orientation of 1 lb cylinders. I assume that since some campstoves mount them sideways it's not a thing. Anyone know more specifics on that? I've always assumed that vertical or sideways is okay. Inverted isn't.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• ssimonsonssimonson Member Posts: 17

Thank you both Fourman110 and WilliamA for your feedback. I figured there were limitations, it looks to be cold and altitude. Most of the time we cook over a open fire or a portable table top butane stove. The Tag stove is used for warming tortillas and boiling water for coffee and dishes.

• tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

We have been using 1 lb bottles for two seasons now with no problems. We have cooked up in the Rockies and the Sierras with no degredation in performance. As far as cold, there is a post somewhere here where I packed our 1 lb bottle in ice and boiled water just as quick as in summer. However, we pulled the T@G's regulator and lines and connect the bottles to a single stage low pressure regulator in the cabinet under the cooktop. If you hook up in the tongue box, I have heard of problems that may be caused by the distance the gas has to travel from the front of the trailer to the back and also still running through the T@G's two stage regulator, not necessary with 1 lb bottles (has to do with the lower surface area available for propane evaporation in smaller tanks). As far as mounting, if your bottle is more than half full, mounting it horizontally will allow liquid propane into the line, it should be at least at a 45 degree angle.

Agree. I've long suspected that in cold weather, the culprit is not the bottle but the regulator and long plumbing. That's a lot of volume to manage. I never had a problem with not being able to light the stove, but the flame was just too small to be able to get any significant heat. That said, there must be a bottle pressure component in that equation somewhere or the larger bottles would have the same problem.

My portable Coleman stove mounts the bottle sideways so you're right, the bottle must be feeding liquid for some part of it's use. But the Coleman has the evaporater tube that runs through the burner so perhaps that's the difference?

When I had my Little Guy 5 wide, I made a mount for a 5 lb cylinder that tucked in behind the fender on the outside of the trailer and then ran a high pressure extension line to the stock single stage regulator. That worked very well for me. For your setup, I still suspect that keeping the bottle and regulator out of the weather is the key to keeping it working.

I'm so envious of your clean, tidy cupboard. Mine looks like I organize my stuff with a snow shovel.🙄

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

We keep everything in two stacking plastic bins that fit almost exactly in that space, one for cooking utensils and one for serving (always seems to be a little overlap). Cleaning supplies, bug spray, et al get squeezed in amongst the plumbing.

Great comments Tagurit, I will be moving the bottle to vertical this weekend. I too have found plastic bins that fit quite nice under the sink and under the beds too.

• LightningdonLightningdon Member Posts: 110

The 1 lb screw on cylinders work great for me.

Today I rotated my 1 lb bottle so it is vertical, thanks for the recommendations and sharing your experiences!

• HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Have any of you used refill adapter for the 1 lb bottles? There are several brands out there but it seems like a good idea.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I have been refilling my 1 lb. bottles for a few years. I utilize brass caps to help assure seal for the refills. I inspect and weigh each canister when empty and the during refill. My target range fill range is around 900-915 grams. I note on the bottle the refill date. I typically do not want to exceed 8-10 refills before retiring a bottle. I do not utilize the placing the bottle in freezer prior to refill, because I have found that it often exceeds the desired amount. My method is fill, weigh, add more or release excess via the Schrader valve utilizing an Allen wrench hex key. I note the weight and date on the bottle.
    Watch some of the many you tube videos. Be sure to where gloves, releasing gas is very cold.
    I have never experienced any problems or leaking. I did find one bent and it was discarded appropriately. They seem to perform well in any weather and cost about $0.50 per refill.

I used to refill Coleman bottles but switched to Flame King refillable bottles and have their kit to refill them, so much easier. I was always worried about screwing up the Schrader valves on the disposable bottles, probably for no good reason, but it does say on the bottle it's unlawful to transport them once they've been refilled, when the wife heard that.....

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I have not experienced any Schrader valve concerns to date.
    Yes the Flame King refillable Bottles may be safer and compliant with DOT. (49 CFR § 178.65). The expense of the system ($33 plus $15 per additional bottle) and process drove me away. The bottles are essentially identical with the difference being lack of Schrader valve and the heat treating process to provide for potentially safer expanding and contracting. This is why I carefully weigh, track and limit the count of refills.
    My generator and heater both use 1 lb. bottles with the potential to connect up to a larger tank via extension hose. My generator could operate for 40+ hours with the main 20lb. tank. (Although I have the hoses, I have never experienced the need to utilize.)
    I have thought about switching over to a 5lb. tank. The cost and bracket replacement have slowed that decision.