Options

Headboard Mod Phase 1

Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148
edited April 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades

Changed the headboard shelf/compartment from 1 to 3 equal openings. Phase 2 will be modding for a dc/usb outlet & wire it up.

Edited for photo size.

Comments

• Options
    lipciolipcio Member Posts: 41

How many hinges did you do per each section?

• Options
    Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148
    edited April 2020

@lipcio said:
    How many hinges did you do per each section?

The 1 piece unit uses 3 hinges. I left those where they are. Each section now is 23”. It is a little more if you divide by 3. But you have to take into account the 10” blade I used was 1/8” thick. Thus there is a 1/8” space between the pieces. Not sure if pic shows this. On the left and right side I added 1 additional hinge making sure where I put it did not interfere with the screws holding the wood piece to front where hinge will attach. The center piece I added 2 additional. I kept the original hinges on all 3 pieces and mounted them back where they came from. The holes are all equal, stained—including the ends where I cut. Then applied Minwax satin polyurethane finish to cut ends and 2 holes. Please keep in mind I have a XL model or 6-wide. I would not do this if I had a 5-wide. I have different stains from Minwax that I tried. One looked close, but only on the ends.

Someone else on this forum did this and cut the top in 2 pieces and they provided the hinges that best match the original found at Home Ripoff.

Edit: This what I used for the hinges and the 2 holes to lift panel

Edited for photo size.