Electronic brake controller recommendations

AustinHealeyAustinHealey Member Posts: 66
edited April 2020 in Trailers & Towing

Going to pick up a 2020 TAG outback lite next week. Towing with a Volvo C 70 convertible. How important is it to have an electronic brake controller? Any recommendations on trailer mounted vs dash mounted? Not really excited about one of these malfunctioning and locking my trailer brakes up, or putting a constant drag on the vehicle.

Comments

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2020

I have towed many different trailers tens of thousands of miles using electric brake controllers. I've never had an issue with a controller. They are reliable and solid little devices. For hardwired controllers, you can choose between time based (cheaper) and proportional units. The difference is that proportional controllers have an accelerometer that applies the brakes depending upon how hard your tow vehicle is decelerating while a time based unit applies the brakes to the same setting over time so they don't just slam on. I have used both. I currently have a proportional controller now, but to be honest, would be just as happy with either on a small trailer. Some folks have been using wireless controllers to good effect, but for my money, they just trade convenience (installation) for dollars. A well installed hardwired brake controller is almost invisible, needs no maintenance and makes a world of difference when you need it. I tow my trailer constantly in all weather and can testify that I would NEVER tow it without brakes. When set properly, trailer brakes will settle and straighten out your trailer in most any road condition and prevent Jack-knifing in slippery stops. Many times my bacon has been saved by my trailer brakes.
    If you aren't maintenance savvy you can have a shop install them for you. If I were in charge, trailer brakes would be mandatory.
    If you are worried about reliability problems, you can install a simple switch that turns them off. I have a switch on mine, but I like to be able to turn them off when off-roading with my trailer under certain conditions. It's also handy to be able to turn them off when jockeying the trailer into tight, uphill campsites.
    The biggest maintenance requirement will be annual (depending upon mileage) maintenance of the trailer brakes, but they are simple to maintain and quite robust.
    Like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it.....
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• ssimonsonssimonson Member Posts: 17

I have the Curt Echo Wireless Trailer Brake Controller; it works well and I like using it. However, if I had to do it over again and had the time, I would have installed a permanent brake controller. The reason is that the manual override is only active when the app is running and open. I like to use Waze app when traveling, meaning that I do not have the override at hand when an emergency arises.

WilliamA, well stated. Also how do you adjust your brake controller? I used the method of traveling 15-20 mps, let off the gas and adjust the brake controller so that the car and trailer are slowed to a stop smoothly. I do not know if this is a good method or not, comments anyone?

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I keep my brake controller setting on the light side. I'll drive for a few miles first and then check brake pressure on the trailer with the manual control. That cleans off the bit of rust on the drums and settles things. Then I set my controller so I can feel the trailer brakes come on, but not so hard they "bang" against the hitch. The best way to set the controller for me is just enough brake pressure so when stopping, the trailer hitch is pulled out tight. I generally have my trailer brakes set at about 20-25 percent of maximum. It depends a great deal upon how new your brakes are. I also like to adjust my trailer brakes a bit on the loose side. That means they will come in a tiny bit later, but also won't be in any danger of dragging.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

Installed a TEKONSHA P3 BRAKE CONTROLin mu Subaru Ascent. Took under 15 mins to install and very well reviewed. I’d check online for videos of install on your vehicle model before buying.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• KrisrKrisr Member Posts: 13

i went with Autowbrake - Trailer Mounted Electric Brake Control, happy with it.

• csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353
    edited February 2021

I'm going with the Curt Echo system. It's nice that you can switch it between multiple tow vehicles.

• ButchButch Member Posts: 14

Do not mean to hijack the thread but I have a related issue. I do use the Echo wireless system and like it. However, I just bought a new tow vehicle, a Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport.

My question, since the Tacoma comes with 7 pin wiring, do I still need the Echo system to engage the electric trailer brakes? Really stupid question I know! Thanks in advance! Butch

• TerrapinTerrapin Member Posts: 1

Picking up a new T@G at end of March. My mechanic of 40 years was really puzzled when I asked him about adding what my 2014 Tacoma needed to control electric brakes on the trailer. His question was a simple one: why are we wiring up your truck to the tune of hundreds of $ so you can control the brakes on a trailer that doesn’t need them? He’s run his own shop for 40+ years now and has lots of experience with trailers, wiring, electric trailer brakes and hauling trailers himself. My good friend who sells Toyota’s asked me the same thing when I spoke to him about the issue. Then I asked a long-time friend who has been a mechanical engineer for 35+ years. He also came away puzzled as to why I was spending the $ to add the necessary equipment to control brakes on a trailer that weighs less than 1,500 pounds. Finally, I’ve been involved in contracting for 30+ years and done a lot of trailer pulling with all size trucks and trailers from trailers the size and weight of a T@G up to large diesels pulling trailers w equipment on them that exceeded 20,000 pounds. My first reaction to the electric brake issue was that putting brakes on a trailer the size/weight of a tag was a decision made by a lawyer and not an engineer. But I’m ready to admit I don’t know everything. After all, I’m not an engineer. 🤔

So what I want to ask is two-fold: 1. Why does such a small, lightweight trailer come with electric brakes? and 2. How many of you aren’t actually hooking up and using the seven-pin plug?

I know that I still would need to have the mechanic hook up a connector so that the alternator in the Taco is charging the battery on trailer. I already have what I need one the truck to control brake lights and turn signals on the trailer.

thanks for informed comments.

Pete

• Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148

@Terrapin said:
    Picking up a new T@G at end of March. My mechanic of 40 years was really puzzled when I asked him about adding what my 2014 Tacoma needed to control electric brakes on the trailer. His question was a simple one: why are we wiring up your truck to the tune of hundreds of $ so you can control the brakes on a trailer that doesn’t need them? He’s run his own shop for 40+ years now and has lots of experience with trailers, wiring, electric trailer brakes and hauling trailers himself. My good friend who sells Toyota’s asked me the same thing when I spoke to him about the issue. Then I asked a long-time friend who has been a mechanical engineer for 35+ years. He also came away puzzled as to why I was spending the $ to add the necessary equipment to control brakes on a trailer that weighs less than 1,500 pounds. Finally, I’ve been involved in contracting for 30+ years and done a lot of trailer pulling with all size trucks and trailers from trailers the size and weight of a T@G up to large diesels pulling trailers w equipment on them that exceeded 20,000 pounds. My first reaction to the electric brake issue was that putting brakes on a trailer the size/weight of a tag was a decision made by a lawyer and not an engineer. But I’m ready to admit I don’t know everything. After all, I’m not an engineer. 🤔
    So what I want to ask is two-fold: 1. Why does such a small, lightweight trailer come with electric brakes? and 2. How many of you aren’t actually hooking up and using the seven-pin plug?
    I know that I still would need to have the mechanic hook up a connector so that the alternator in the Taco is charging the battery on trailer. I already have what I need one the truck to control brake lights and turn signals on the trailer.

thanks for informed comments.
    Pete

Your Tacoma, (if came with tow package) has a connector for a brake controller, is located behind front drivers side panel. It is plug n play. If confused go to Tacomaworld and do a search. Brake controllers are needed based on trailer weight and your state regulations. I have brakes because I live in the Rockies and need them.

• zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 204

Perhaps the better question is why not? Technically a trailer of this weight does not "need" brakes. But what about the tow vehicle's braking capacity at the new combined weight? And for Tacoma owners, you have arguably one of the easiest vehicles to put a controller on! Under the left lower dash area by your left foot, there is a factory plug for this purpose. Get a little pigtail harness from Etrailer, plug it in, plug in the brake controller and you are DONE. You simply can't contemplate ALL the conditions that you will encounter when towing where you might need/want trailer brakes. It's your call, do what you want.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 622

One thing about the Curt Echo brake controller is that if you turn on your TV hazard lights, the trailer brakes will activate. There is a setting on the Curt app that you need to engage before using your hazard lights.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

@Sharon_is_SAM said:
    One thing about the Curt Echo brake controller is that if you turn on your TV hazard lights, the trailer brakes will activate. There is a setting on the Curt app that you need to engage before using your hazard lights.

That's something new. I'll need to make sure I keep aware of that. Would hate to throw on the flashers without knowing that.

• AustinHealeyAustinHealey Member Posts: 66
    edited February 2021

I had an Autowbrake unit installed on the trailer when I bought it. All on the trailer and works great. Then bought a Chevy Colorado with stock trailer brake controller that works great. I know they say a small car can pull these teardrops. I recommend not pushing ur luck with too small of a tow vehicle. U can get on trouble with small short wheelbase tow vehicles

@AustinHealey - please reduce photo size. Moderator

@Butch said:do I still need the Echo system to engage the electric trailer brakes?

Yes, you do (unless you have a different brake controller). All electric brakes need brake controllers.