Options

Did I add a parasitic load?

Updated my solar from a 4 panel total 100W Harbor Freight solar system to two 100w, total 200W, HQST system using 20A Renogy Voyager controller. I noticed I always have a voltage reading for the battery on the new controller. Did I just add another parasitic load?

When I look at the general directions, it is wired correctly. It makes sense that I see the voltage in 5at I’m wired to the battery. Ya, I added an SAE connector and with hindsight wired a solar cutoff switch differently (not correct but won’t hurt the system). On my old system I had wired the cutoff switch after the controller so it cut everything after the battery. In my new setup I had an in process design change where I added it before the controller. Great I can now cutoff and unplug.........

Should I be really concerned with this additional parasitic load? I’m really interested in your opinion....

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
Jay

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

The Renogy Voyager controller does require the battery hookup to work, and such is drawing some sort of load. I have the 100W suitcase with the 20A Voyager. I use a SAE connector and sometimes disconnect at night. I have not measured the draw by the controller, but I would believe it is small.
    If I test it, I will post my results.