Options

Critter damage

GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

When we first got into the Teardrop thing 20 plus years ago, a couple showed us the damage a bear did to the shell of their home built.
We have never carried, but has anyone used bear spray or such. I've seen 44Mags, on tables. I'm not going there.
Looked outside our backpacking tent one noisy night. Elk were kicking around. Guess we must have taken their spot.

Gig Harbor Tom
Trl '17 T@G Max
TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

Comments

• Options
    FroggerFrogger Member Posts: 156

Had beaucoup racoons/skunks/squirrels raid campsites, nothing larger YET lol; state park we use frequently here in Virginia has seen an uptick in black bears the past few years, so I picked up an air horn in case we get a visit, the kind used at track meets etc, pal uses one down the ridge from us for bears getting in his trash can...

• Options
    Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148
    edited May 2020

When I was younger, did a lot of backcountry hiking. Saw a some black bears, grizzlies and many other animals. I carried bear spray most of the time when it came out/developed. Never needed to use it. If you hike the backcountry a lot, you know what to do and or get educated. My only fear was meeting up with bear cubs, but luckily only saw them in the distance. Never left food out or cooking utensils at base camp or in the backcountry. This includes anything that has an odor. Items up a tree in the backcountry or locked inside a vehicle at base camp.

PS I never hiked alone for different reasons, but also safety.

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I carry but that's only for protection from those two legged, out to do you harm, creatures. I have bear spray but the bear has to be fairly close to use it and you hope the wind isn't blowing in your direction. I had not thought of an air horn. That sounds like a pretty good idea. I would put my food in my TV if I was in bear country but I'm pretty sure the bear could still smell it. But I would rather the bear attack my TV than the trailer I'm in.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Frogger... Watch out for the dang snakes there in VA parks and swamps. Copperhead and cotton mouth. Scared the be Jesus out of me many a time.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    TravelGalTravelGal Member Posts: 6

Living and camping in Northern BC, Canada, I have bear spray and an air horn nearby in my T@G and when hiking. I also keep the car keys nearby at night so I can set off the car alarm to scare off critters as needed.