Options

How to fix converter fan

lipciolipcio Member Posts: 41

I have noticed that my converter fan is making inconsistent whining noise during low current draw. The cooling fan for the converter runs according to load so when more devices are on, it speeds up and it's not that annoying as with low speeds. How difficult is it to replace it? I'm assuming converter is located behind the fuse box so do I need to remove it first to get to the fan? Is fun inside the converter or mounted behind it?

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

If you have the same stock converter that I have (WFCO WF-8725), the fan is built into the Power Converter. You can find additional information on their web site. I would suggest contacting WACO Support (877.294.8997) to discuss your situation. (is it abnormal?) From my contacts, they are knowledgeable and friendly. The units cost around $100.

Per the Installation and Owners Manual

• Automatic Cooling Fan
      -"This is will operate under high loads conditions normally not during sleeping hours or when power demand is low. Offering more sleeping comfort."

I would doubt that their solution would have a customer replacing the fan on the unit, but that is your choice.

• Options
    edited May 2020

Looks like fan is easily accessible after removing front panel cover. Model Globe Fan S01138812H DC12V 0.23A. It's attached with 4 screws and connected with 2 wires. I will try to replace it ($13 on eBay) and see how converter works.

Thank you

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Hope your try works. Save $$

• Options
    dollydigitaldollydigital Member Posts: 7

Mine is doing the same thing. It sounds like the fan is dying. I was thinking I would have to replace the whole unit. Let us know how it goes.

2016 T@G MAX named T@RDIS - its bigger on the inside!

• Options
    Duce95Duce95 Member Posts: 21

I am also having this issue and from what I found it’s normal for this model to do that. The fan is supposed to run on high load and and low loads it just barely runs.

There are several videos on YouTube showing the sound.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

I installed a new panel, converter and a couple circuits on my last vintage trailer I had some of the same concerns. Not the same by any means. Was normal I realized.Had the same worry when I put a new frig in and new noise got my attention. Was not used to all that excitement. Never had more than just a battery and a cooler. My what the hell on the T@G was the AC Fan switch. Now that was weird....

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options

I replaced fan with brand new but it's working pretty much the same way. I guess I have to deal with it.

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 173

When we're connected to shore power, the converter fan will wake my wife up at night. We simply open the breaker for the converter at the breaker panel while we're sleeping and run the 12V systems off the battery overnight. Closing the breaker in the morning recharges the battery.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner