Options

Installing roof rack on 2020 TAG Boondock

I want to add a roof rack to my 2020 TAG boondock. I tried to search the site here but I wasn't able to find any information on where to drill/mount it. Does anyone have references for where the cross bars are in the trailer to screw into?

Comments

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 205
    edited March 2021

I would think Nucamp could assist, i feel like i have seen a diagram of the layout.....if you don't find anything, I'd be happy to measure mine for the screw placement for you.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Here is a YouTube video showing the construction of the T@G. Watch especially starting around 2:26 into video. It shows placement of frame cross members.

Hope this may help.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

The drilling layout is for sure available, it was asked here before and was provided by numcamp for sure. Not sure it was display or shared here.

Did you make a search by topic?

Any of the oldtimers can help?

• Options
    blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 23

I emailed my dealer who says that nucamp would send it to me, but never heard from anyone. I used google to search this forum and didn't find anything.

Maybe I should just email nucamp directly. Does anyone know who to contact there?

• Options

nüCamp RV - Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trailers

661 Belden Pkwy (PO BOX 395)
    Sugarcreek, OH 44681

Toll-Free Number: 844.823.9112
    Phone: (330) 852-4811
    330.556.4415 (fax)
    www.nucamprv.com

HOURS OF OPERATION

nüCamp RV Receptionist: Mon-Fri 8:00am-4:00pm EST

nüCamp RV Factory: Mon-Fri 5:30am-3:30pm EST

Technical Support

tech@nucamprv.com

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 633

Email tech@nucamprv.com. Creed should be able to get you a diagram. Please share it when it arrives. Make sure he knows what model and year TaG.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options

When this comes in, it woukd be nice to have it in tge pdf/manual/... section of the forum! 😊

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 633

Yes @LuckyJ! I will put it there if we get a copy.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options

The reply I got back from Nucamp was:

Technically only recommend having the racks installed by a dealer so I don’t have instructions on how to install it.

My dealer says they are "too busy" to install them.

• Options
    edited March 2021

COVID kills customer service yet again!

That's what I've been dealing with all day myself.

Is your's a 5 wide or XL.....even though I can't imagine that it would matter. Are you going to attempt to install yourself? I would be happy to video call with you to show you how mine was done if that would help. I am at my wits end today with the complete lack of human contact and willingness to help in the universe lately!!!!

There, I feel better now. Sorry for the rant. But seriously, holler if I can assist.

• Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

I ordered roof rack rails from nucamp for my 2014 5-wide in Oct of 2018. They bent the rails so they roughly fit the contour of the roof and provided a template for where to drill (attached). You sure don't want to get this wrong. I'd be concerned that a 2014 template might not be exactly correct for a 2020...and it has to be EXACTLY correct. Use this information at your own risk! It seems to have worked for me. I only pass this along because it seems working with the factory or dealer is almost impossible. Did I mention, "Use this information at your own risk!" Also, measure twice, cut once. Double/triple check the measurements before you drill anything.

I drilled the holes in the rail according to the instructions and then taped the rail on the roof according to the instructions and used the holes in the rail to tell me where to drill through the roof. As I recall, there were already some holes in the rail...as the note on the instructions says, these are NOT the holes you will use. Make sure you drill your holes according to the instructions, and make sure you do not mistake the holes you drilled with the holes already in the rail. I ran a bead of silicone along the bottom of the rail before I did the final fastening with screws...you sure don't want to introduce leaks.

I included a pic of the T@G after the installation...if you zoom in you can see where the rail sits on my roof relative to the galley hatch hinge after following nuCamp's instructions.

2014 T@G

• Options

@HellFish and @blackc2004 yeah!
    I really dought that the have change the location of the frame piece in tge roof, cause I do not thick that they have change tge location of the roof vent.

But in dought, the frame traverse will be easy to locate from underneath with a stud finder, probably also faisable from the top side, and to prove this, the roofing aluminium sheet is flexible enough that it will bend when in between the frame traverse.

Take your time, mesure twice and go.

• Options

I measured mine compared to the above. On my 2021T@G Boondock, the measurements are just a bit different, just FYI.

• Options

@zgfiredude said:
    I measured mine compared to the above. On my 2021T@G Boondock, the measurements are just a bit different, just FYI.

Just curious...different how?

2014 T@G

• Options
    edited March 2021

The 2" in from the sides is the same. The 18" forward from the "hinge" is the same (depending on exactly where you measure FROM...the other measurements are:
    2 vs. 2.5
    13.25 vs. 13.5
    20.75 vs. 21
    22.5 vs. 22.75
    xx (under my front bar at the moment) vs. 38.5
    46 vs. 45.5"

I can get the 18" forward from the center of the upper (forward) "hinge" cover screw strip to the rearward edge of the metal track. And the rest of the measurements are from that edge forward. So mine are fairly uniformly .25" shorter except for the first one which is .5" different. They "could" match with only a .25 deviation on #1.....but starting from where?

• Options

I measured 18" from the edge of the hinge strip, not the center of the strip. Maybe I was right, maybe I was wrong. One thing to keep in mind is that if you drill and miss the crossframe member it will feel different (essentially no resistance to the bit) than when you drill through the skin, hit the cross member and drill though it, then hit the hollow space, and then hit the other side of the member. Of course you have to stop before you penetrate into the passenger compartment. BTW, NuCamp sent me (29) .75 inch screws, (4) 1 inch screws, and (4) 1.5 inch screws. I used the .75 inch screws. Good luck all.

2014 T@G

• Options
    BRaulstonBRaulston Member Posts: 7

My 2021 TAG XL boondock didn’t come with a roof rack because they are back ordered from Yakima and rather than hold up sales of the campers, they sold them without and deducted the price from the dealer’s cost. Not sure how to determine if the rack was deducted from my price tho. NuCamp says the one they put on is custom made for them, so, I may wait to get that one when it is available. Anyone else in the same situation and how did you resolve it? I’m planning on getting a Rhino batwing awning eventually, so really need the roof rack.

• Options

Part of tge rack might be custom made for them, but I saw tge rails at a Yakima dealer store. Maybe tge lenght is custom made. But I know that they are bent for tge roof and the hole in the rails have to be redrill to different location.

The link will allow you to order what you need.

Sorry, to much of a hard time loading pictures here from a tablet. Scroll down tge page to find the fiberglass top rail mount system.

https://explore.yakima.com/custom-install?_ga=2.184004834.5772319.1619213569-645892167.1619213569#popuptailers

• Options
    PugboyPugboy Member Posts: 8

I am in the same situation...no roof racks on my new 2021 T@G and am very uneasy with the thought of drilling into the roof without knowing where the roof frame /joists are.

The Yakima racks referenced by Luckyj should work if installed correctly.

• Options

@Pugboy said:
    I am in the same situation...no roof racks on my new 2021 T@G and am very uneasy with the thought of drilling into the roof without knowing where the roof frame /joists are.
    The Yakima racks referenced by Luckyj should work if installed correctly.

They are the exact same ones supply by Yakima to Nucamp. I owned one kit that I orgiginaly bought for my 2005 x-trail in 2007 that I had to adapte using tge base plate but not tge rails, and all parts are interchangeble between the T@G, and my XTrail. I recently purchase a set of base plate for my recently purchased 2000 mercedes, and tge only rack I could fit was by drilling holes through the roof using the same base plate. (I did pull the top liner to keep the interior clean)

But again, I can use the yakima rack with the tower on any of those base for the T@G the x-trail or the Merc.

And I think someone did suplly the drilling info. But with a stud finder the rof cross beam should be fairly easy to locate.

• Options

And as showed up here in otger reaponse, this is what the roof frameing was like in 20017 and following years, up until now unless it as change.

https://youtu.be/54F3R8FFt6U

• Options
    PugboyPugboy Member Posts: 8
  • Options
    evpeelingevpeeling Member Posts: 67

@blackc2004 were the measurements provided by HellFish accurate for the 2020? Im looking to do the same

2020 Tag BD 5W, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, PA

• Options

@evpeeling said:
    @blackc2004 were the measurements provided by HellFish accurate for the 2020? Im looking to do the same

You should be able to verify the mesurement. The aluminium roof sheet, is somehow flexible enough, that you should feel the hard cross beam when pushing down a bit on the skin at the proposed mesurement.

• Options

@LuckyJ said:

@evpeeling said:

You should be able to verify the mesurement. The aluminium roof sheet, is somehow flexible enough, that you should feel the hard cross beam when pushing down a bit on the skin at the proposed mesurement.

This is how we did it. The measurements were not right for me, maybe I just wasn't measuring in the right places.

• Options
    evpeelingevpeeling Member Posts: 67

Ok thanks for the tips. Were the rails were flexible enough to bend as you screwed them into the frame? Or did you have to bend them first and then screw them into the frame?

2020 Tag BD 5W, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, PA

• Options
    jsp66jsp66 Member Posts: 7

So, I got my rack kit in from NuCamp. Looks like they went ahead and pre-drilled the new holes, but they don't exactly match up with what HellFish posted. A little closer to zgfiredude's measurements but not exactly and they are not consistent on each rail as you can see in the picture.

The first hole (actually the second hole on the rail) is at 2" instead of 2.5" and the second hole (actually the 5th) is at 13.625 on one rail and 13.375 on the other. Also one rail was drilled from the top side and one from the bottom side. No big deal but just sloppy work all the way around. The last hole which should be at about 45.5" to 46" wasn't drilled so I'll have to do that one myself.

Going to start at 18 inches from the galley hinge and see where we end up. Wish me luck!

I did get the new entry door steps installed today, so at least there's that!

2020 Tag Boondock XL
    2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Freedom w/Max Tow

• Options

@jsp66 I do npt know where you are at as of when you will read this, but you can have an idea on roof cross beam location by pressing down on the roof top aluminium sheet. It is fairly soft and compare to the walls, the insulation is soft, so the roof outer sheet will flex between the cross beam. You should be able to confirm their location and roughly the edge of each one. This could help you confirm the holes location.

• Options
    jsp66jsp66 Member Posts: 7

@LuckyJ thanks! I had seen that mentioned and will probably try to do it that way.

2020 Tag Boondock XL
    2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Freedom w/Max Tow