Options

Cooking from the TaG galley

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
edited June 2021 in Camping & Travel

We have not used our new boondock yet. This may seem like a silly question but it's one I am serious about! Does everyone cook in the back of their trailer. I ask this because we had planned to cook in our Cabela's kitchen away from where we sleep. I'm wondering if this is a valid concern or just silly. How many of you cook in back? any of you that don't? My concern is bears of course. We'll be camping in bear country. Please share your thoughts.

(Title edited for search purposes.)

Comments

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited May 2018

We cook in the galley all the time. If you handle your garbage appropriately the bears will behave appropriately. We don’t do greasy cooking stuff in the galley so no nasty build-up is present on the galley surfaces to entice the bears. Also, we never store food in the galley. Food’s either in a bear box/cannister or we move on. No food storage in the car either unless you want to replace your hatchback or passenger doors and widows. The bear will not be denied when it comes to treats =)

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

Thank you for the response Tom. To clarify...you don't cook things like bacon or use your galley cooler either? Linda

• Options

Thank you William. Lol on the raccoons...we always put all our food away for the same reason, and would definitely close the galley at night. Great idea about the fob.

• Options

Roxrog... definitely no to the bacon. Even out of bear country we don’t cook this. We love bacon but the work involved managing the grease and cleanup negates the enjoyment for us. William is right on with his comments about the raccoons. You need to watch those guys. They don’t care what is going on anywhere :|

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited September 2021

You could prercook the bacon. Leave only a few minute cooking at camp. Their is always a way to have bacon! ;)

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

It there is just two of us we cook in the clamshell using the 2 burners. We’ve done steaks, fish, everything on it we would do on a grill or large stove. It cleans up easily and we cook bacon in a large cast iron frying pan so minimal splatter. If we have others with us we have a 3 burner CampChef stove with a griddle and use it. It’s better for a big meal and with 3 burners there is plenty of room for all the chefs. I have an 10 ft LP line extension hose running from the front tank for the CampChef stove.

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    Dan_AnnDan_Ann Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2018

We cook in the back for all of our meals. We store most of the perishables in a cooler which is kept in the car. We use the Norcold mainly for drinks and items that will be used for the day. After use, we just clean up well, throw out the trash, lock everything up. No problems with critters!

2017 T@G

Michigan

2020 Ford Explorer SE

• Options
    SparrowSparrow Member Posts: 19

I cook in the back all the time. My biggest issue was a racoon who wanted in on my food. But I locked everything up in the car at night. But I saute meat and made sauces and cooked ham and bacon and had no issues. But I wasn't in bear country either. Id like to hear more about that...

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164

We have a Coleman 2 burner camp stove we set up on either the picnic table or our folding table and use that on occasion. We use the stove in the galley as well. The camp stove just gives us more options and it's great for bacon...no splatter on things that matter. We haven't used the camper in bear country yet, but the other suggestions above all are spot on. We have tent camped in those areas, and keeping food in the bear cans/containers and not in your car, trash always empty, etc. is the way to go. Keeping stuff in the fridge is questionable; I guess it depends on what it is.

• Options

We camp a lot in bear country. We transfer all the food, including the Norcold stuff, into an ice chest and store it in the provided bear box. We have seen too many videos and pictures of bears tearing everything up from RV’s to cars just to get at a bag of potato chips or box of cereal. We like to sleep at night :D

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

We do bacon or sausage every morning on our Blackstone griddle, camping just isn't camping without the big breakfast! Clean up is easy, scrape the drippings into grease trap and wipe everything down with paper towels (I know the use of paper will get me hated but I can't do without them!) and wrap them up in a grocery bag (got to have them, too!) and put it in the bear-proof trash. Never have had a problem with critters but we do always have our dog with us.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@tagurit said:
    ........(I know the use of paper will get me hated but I can't do without them!) and wrap them up in a grocery bag (got to have them, too!)......

As for the paper towel, as long as you have the one made from recycled fibers, then it is not too bad.

I am not a fan of the grocery bag, but if you used them for garbage bag, then you are trading one for the other. So I guess you are good to go as well.

But paper plates and trowable drinking container, really get me going. ;)

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517
    edited November 2018

I’ve camped in bear country many times and have seen people do foolish things like leaving coolers and food out, etc. As noted above and if available use the provided food storage enclosures that the National Parks have on site, minimize scent, read up on the subject and also take the time to read bulletin boards in campgrounds, any alerts posted, sightings, etc. Practicing best food storage practices and eliminating scent, etc. will go a long way, but you can never be too safe. Bear are smart and they have become adept at breaking into cars, etc. I would never store food with scent in one of these trailers and would contain all food and juices or grease that come out of them. A trip to the trash dumpster each night will save you and any nearby bear dividends!

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    rickwe818rickwe818 Member Posts: 37

I always think the bears will come around when we cook bacon in the back of our Tag, but they never do. For the most part bears are solitary creatures, and shy away from humans. But, with bears you never know when one will show up. If you're concerned, I'd keep a can of bear spray next to your can of PAM. Enjoy the experience of cooking outside!

• Options
    edited November 2018

True.... And follow the food safe handling and storage practices outlined by the National Parks Service as it's important. Bears are normally wanting to avoid humans, but that isn't always the case and they become acclimated, aggressive and invasive if they are allowed to eat human food. Their scent ability is over the top and this is why you always want to handle and store food properly when in bear country. They have been known to shred campers and vehicles in their quest for food.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

"acclimated, aggressive and invasive " sounds like my mother-in-law :s:o

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    willbingham1willbingham1 Member Posts: 63

I add to my TAG on rear cooking counter a small toaster oven and its great to cook toast, heat up precooked (home prepared) pasta meals, and especially my favorite the aluminum foil camp dinner with selected meat (like chicken breast, hamburger patty, or pork) with cut up onion, green pepper, cut up potato, carrots, and season to like. Cook the camp aluminum foil dinner about 1 hour at 350. Yum, yum! Then watch out for bears to compete with you! (Two and four legged kind) Yes carefully pack food items in bear country by running up on rope container on tree limb, or in those supplied bear proof containers--including your tooth paste! Did so while motorcycle camping in tent while in Yosemite a few years back. Bill

• Options
    SqueezeboxSqueezebox Member Posts: 5

I cook in mine alot. I am however going to add a back splash. Stove and sink tend to splash. Its hard on the wood. Cook away my dear!

• Options

I found some diamond plate at Home Depot, used a small beveling style bit on it and used some wood screws to fasten it to the wall of my former 5-wide to create a nice back splash plate. I also added a small piece of diamond plate to the countertop to allow me to set hot pans on and it worked nicely. They also have some creative metal stick on wall tiles and such now that allow people to be more creative.

Good stuff for sure!

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89

I do love to vintage metal signs found on Fleabay. They just seem to work

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

coffee, bacon and eggs, sautee veggies, and reheating risotto using boiling water and a strainer. everything else on a podunk Weber grill that barbeques flawlessly with a handful of charcoal, takes up zero space, and cleans in seconds. https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/charcoal-grills/89670?store=14550&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_dWGBhDAARIsAMcYuJziSuzqeDHzlZUrmPxQT9P8o6c4x-IZHAg-hmz7BPdY-e0HbK80raMaAgnOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Coffee on the trailer stove. We cook everything else on an electric griddle, 2 burner Coleman, and/or Micro wave. The stove and griddle sit nicely under my bunk when under way. Along with , 12Gauge extension, other stuff. We do like the vintage sign back splash. Even so, wife hates to hide the wood.
    Just for the fun of it, we picked up a beautiful thick steak, in CleElum WA last year. Cooked it on the electric griddle, and it turned out great to our surprise.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

This is the grill that I use. A charcoal grill even at 15x21x12 it too large for me to want to carry in my Rav4. My griddle is cast iron and weighs more than I would like, but fits perfectly on my 2018 5w T@G stove. This size is not easy to come by. Reversible, so works for a lot of dishes. 2 1/2 years now and no complaints.

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Wow. I've been looking for that size. Thanks JamesDow

Yes, we cook in back. Never camped in bear country but have been around racoons. We are plant based so we dont have to deal with grease and stuff. Before we turn in for the evening, the galley is cleaned and scrubbed with everything locked away and all trash placed in the dumpsters.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Dang, just gave one of those away a couple months ago.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

If it’s just 2 of us we cook everything on the T@G stove. If we are camping with friends we take a Camp Chef 3 burner stove. It’s heavy but worth it to do big meals.

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89

I have 2 6in pans and an 8in that I can make most things with. I use the 8 as a lid sometimes.

I'm thinking about a small toaster oven tho. I'm not sure I may remove the microwave and retro fit a gas oven from Bontragers.

I like my biscuits n cornbread

• Options
    FroggerFrogger Member Posts: 156

@ Somemedic...bet that corned beef is good long side some eggs & a bowl of grits...