Soon to be picking up 2020 T@G 5W Boondock Edge

ClarkGriswoldClarkGriswold Member Posts: 34

Been lurking here for about a week reading/learning as much as I could in advance of deciding to purchase a 2020 T@G 5W Boondock Edge w/111w solar. We were originally seeking a more purpose built off-road teardrop, but the wait times were insane and my wife washed her hands of camping another night in our rooftop tent. I won't be taking it rock crawling, but it will see some fairly primitive trails. To that end, I'll be strengthening the frame, swapping out the ball for a MaxCoupler, and potentially adding skidplates fairly early on. Aside from that I will let experience guide any further changes (I have a very difficult time leaving anything well enough alone.) I'll post up a picture of my T@G once it shows up on the lot next Tuesday. My wife and I are so excited.

Below is a picture of my TV and former trailer from this past holiday weekend.

2019 T@G 5W Boondock Edge
2008 M-B G500
Somewhere in the PNW

"Why aren't we flying? Because getting there is half the fun. You know that."

Comments

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2019

Are you keeping the 416 or peddling it? All the suspension of a WWI French tank, but solid. Have you considered a pintle/Lunette? You're already set up on the JK. I love mine.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited May 2019

Wow, do I just see my self in a mirror? ;)

Welcome to the T@G familly and the T@G forum. Nice set-up, but I also understanf why you are upgrading. :)

I would suggest that you look into my post, Le Refuge, it might gives you some Idea of what can be done, and you will surly be able to upgrade up on it. I did many of what you are planing and I am actualy working on air bag suspesion. An other T@gger here as even upgraded to a timbren axle less suspension (or maybe is it on the T@G facebook page. I will also later look into rocker guards and skid protection/skids plates.

Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Here is the link and some pics of my deep adventure set-up that I plan to keep along with the T@G.
    https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/147/le-refuge-mods-and-up-grade-by-lucky-j/p1

• ClarkGriswoldClarkGriswold Member Posts: 34

Both of your threads have been very informative and, if anything, got me to pull the trigger on on the T@G. I will have to check out the LaRefuge thread

I ditched the ancient leaf springs on the trailer a while ago in favor of a Timbren setup. I may do the same down the road in the T@G, just not this year or my wife will kill me. It may prove necessary if the lift doesn’t get me level since I’m on 37s w/ a 4” lift (22-23” hitch height)- too large of drop hitch might as well be a ripping hook on the back of a D10 dozer. I thought about staying with a pintle & lunette like I currently have but I’m planning on running hitch tube all the way to the rear so I have another recovery point which lends itself to either a locknroll like LuckyJ or a MaxCoupler (I’m not overly attached to one vs the other).

I’m planning on selling it as a complete setup. It’s actually a 1942 Bantam T3. It’s deceiving since I swapped the round fenders out for something that could double as a table (beer bench). The refurb number is from Africa so it likely was used during the war. I’m the third owner if you count the Army since the father of the guy I bought it from purchased it from a DRMO back in the early 50s.

2008 M-B G500
    Somewhere in the PNW

edited June 2019

An other project has been done with the Timbren on the little guy forum. But I never got any info back from how it did in the long term.

• TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

Wow!!. Great pics. Thanks..Lucky & Clark.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113

@ClarkGriswold your going to enjoy some nice creature features never known in the T3. Welcome to this community, a lot of good people with great ideas in here.

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

• HerdHerd Member Posts: 35

Just took our 2020 out for the first time and loved it. Get ready for lots of attention, people wanting to look inside and asking questions.

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Photos?

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• HerdHerd Member Posts: 35

My knuckle head sons and the Blue Ridge Mtns in the background. Great music and craft beer.

Our trailer arrived on the lot last night so we went to check it out. I'm super pleased with it and looking forward to next week when we can bring it home.

2008 M-B G500
    Somewhere in the PNW

@ClarkGriswold said:
    Our trailer arrived on the lot last night so we went to check it out. I'm super pleased with it and looking forward to next week when we can bring it home.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030201/uploads/207/YRGAZQ6R8QE4.jpg

Lol, I did the exact same thing just before we went ahead to purchase ours.

Nice trailer and nice rig! :)

Finally brought it home last night! First thing I did was move the awning to the other side and reorient the brackets so that it now hangs below the crossbar. Being only 5'9" I needed a step stool to comfortably deploy it in the stock position. The best part is the porch light will still fully function whether or not the awning is deployed. I also removed the "new" topsheet with the cutout for the Yeti from the kitchen slider so I could install my Norcold. Unfortunately it doesn't completely fit; either the sides of the drawer have thicker wood or the fridge grew by half an inch. I guess that will be my project this afternoon after I move some stuff around in the garage so it will fit (I made the mistake of clearing stuff so it would fit tongue in first 🤦‍♂️).

2008 M-B G500
    Somewhere in the PNW