Pre-trip shakedown on my new T@G leaves me with a couple of A/C questions.

MustangGuyMustangGuy Member Posts: 15

First: What exactly does the A/C Fan do (the switch beside the A/C unit)?

Second: I ran the A/C all day yesterday and it was very hot and humid. Are these stains caused by the trailer not being absolutely level?

Comments

• Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

AC fan helps run air through the cowbells and out the bottom. It helps with condensation.

Stains..... was the fan on? Did you have all windows, doors and vents closed? Both answers should be yes... level shouldn’t affect it.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• MustangGuyMustangGuy Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2020

@Fourman110 said:
    Stains..... was the fan on? Did you have all windows, doors and vents closed? Both answers should be yes... level shouldn’t affect it.

The A/C Fan was on. One of the windows was cracked slightly because I read somewhere (maybe on this forum) to let some fresh air in when using the A/C.

edit: One thing I did was later yesterday evening is that I hooked the trailer up to the Wrangler and drove on some hills to test the trailer for off-road defects.

• BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Having the trailer slightly nose high is better for the AC drip pan to drain.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• FroggerFrogger Member Posts: 156
    edited June 2020

Had a SERIOUS condensation problem the last 3 days w/ ours (2020 Boondock Edge), had moisture collecting on the headboard & underneath the overhead storage bins, had to take the deflector off as water was collecting at the bottom of that & dripping; tried everything mentioned & every variation of window/vent method; wife was extreme agitated, I'm not far behind. Tried the dealer here twice & waiting to get a call back, gonna contact nucamp as well. the round vent on the inside right of the ac seemed almost to blow hot air. Hygrometer read 99% at times; finally got it back down to 85% running the ac on max cold, anything less resulted in mass moisture...anybody have a temp setting etc that works???

• mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

The drain on the AC pan is on the rear, drivers side. The front of the camper must be higher than the back for it to drain.

2017 T@G Max

edited June 2020

Had mine up, dang nigh looked like it was doing a wheelie during a test; draining fine, but spewing condensation like a mist almost. Wife seemed to think when we were camping 3 weeks ago that I had all the windows closed & the vent shut, not so much a problem; this time, I did the window(s) vent in various configurations, seemed much worse. Ended up putting the ceiling fan on 2 w/ the side windows cracked, finally brought the level down to 85...

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 622

@Frogger - not sure if you saw these threads. They should be helpful.

https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/342/2014-t-g-air-conditioner-and-condensation-dehumidification

https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/680/a-c-settings-for-t-g/p1

You mentioned that the round AC vent felt like it was blowing hot air into the cabin? It should be drawing air from the cabin. You may want to check to see if the fan on that side was installed correctly. Some owners reported that is was installed backwards.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

All of the A/C users are missing the boat. You could capture the condensation and plumb it to the water tank for an indefinite supply. Me, I'd build an onboard minnow tank....

Seriously though, while this topic has been second only to the solar threads, it would seem logical that, so long as the drain is clear, it should be a function of making sure the cowbell vents are venting properly. IMHO, you'll never convince me that the aux A/C fans should vent down. That never made any sense to me. Heated air rises. If the inlet on the bottom brought air in and pushed it out the cowbells that is the only way the system makes any technical sense. In addition, the drip pan needs to be thoroughly massaged so it holds very little water. A pool of warm water sitting in a relatively dead-air space is just asking for all kinds of problems. This sort of technology has been around for a long time. The theory has been proven. It's a matter of matching the system carefully to the environment.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

Lol William, minnow tank is a good idea...did a check this morning w/ a tp square, cowbells taking air inward, same w/ the interior ac vents, sucking air into the frame sides. Mike from Nucamp called me & suggested venting the windows ever so slightly. No probs w/ the draining this past trip, may try the shim trick...1st time out, everything was sealed up, no probs that I can remember, this time was a muther; guess I'll keep experimenting...

Being prone to tear up more stuff than I fix, couple of tips needed please; steps to removing the ac from the casing, & do I shim the entire front of the drip pan or just the left side opposite the drip tube...also what is the best shim; thanks in advance, trying to cut down on the humidity...

• tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

On our 2017 there are two screws in the frame and two screws through the bottom of the cabinet into the unit. The unit was originally not designed to drain condensate out the bottom (just out the back when it overflows, the manual says it uses condensate to cool the unit) so apparently the trailer manufacturer drilled a hole into the bottom of the unit and fabricated a drip pan underneath it. The unit sits on 1 x 2's with the drip pan in the middle so you can only shim the pan up to the edge of the board.

@tagurit got as far as taking the frame off, insulation in the back looks like it's curled inward at the ends; did a test, the intake vent on the right side looking at the unit is blowing hot air back into the cabin, gonna let the dealer tackle this one lol, thanks for the help...

Hope they can fix it to your satisfaction. Sounds like the unit may not be seated correctly into the foam board duct for the exhaust air, ours was not either, noticed it when we did the "Mandy Mod" behind the TV. Our AC is out now but I had duct taped it as much as I could before finishing the TV cabinet.

Took off the frame & took some pics; initially the interior vent fans sucked in air, 5 minutes later the right side began to blow in hot air; looks like the unit installation is off kilter, left side spaced, right side up against the wall, could be the problem, waiting for Nucamp to call back...

You actually have a different unit than we do, ours is a Danby and I don't know if the cabinet is the same.

@tagurit been experimenting some off/on, set the temp at 4 on low speed, no probs w/ humidity after 30 minutes, may have formed a truce lol...

• HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

My dealer swapped the Danby I had for the Haier. Fits perfect with no adjustments necessary.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe