Options

Bike hitch

Can a bike hitch be welded under the T@G (putting a bike rack on the back of the T@G)?

Comments

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

It is generally not recommended. You can search "bike rack" on this forum to see the different solutions folks have come up with to carry their bikes.

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 165

I ended up getting a double receiver and then ordered a Swagman bike carrier. Works great, carries the bikes by the wheels which is better than some of the carriers that hold the frames and the bikes rattle around precariously. Adds very little to the tongue weight and is much more secure and safer than having a rear mounted hitch.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2020

There is no useful argument that says a bike could not safely be carried on the back of a T@G. In the manner of function, I'd argue that it's the BEST place to haul one. A well-designed rack is a perfectly reasonable way to do that without inhibiting trailer function or safety. The problem here is that the vast majority of bike carriers are:

1. Crappily designed.

2. Shoddily constructed.

3. Severely mis-used.

A well-designed and constructed rack on the back of a trailer would be perfectly safe and quite probably, the best, safest place to haul one.

There are no bike racks on the market that are either well-designed or well-made.

It had to be said.....

I'll be right back. I'm just gonna make some popcorn....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Putting additional weight towards the back of the trailer may be dangerous, depending on your towing capacity and tongue weight capacity.
    Adding additional weight to the rear of any trailer can be dangerous if tongue weight moves out of what would be considered safe. Experts agree that an acceptable tongue weight should be between 9-15% of the gross trailer weight.
    For me with a Rav4 with towing capacity of 1500 pounds, I am already near capacity with an empty tag. I tow the T@G nearly empty. Currently my tongue weight is around 150 pounds. Placing additional weight to the back of my trailer would require shifting or adding additional weight in front of the trailer axel. Adding additional weight to my setup would be a no go. I do not know what it would do to yours.
    Here is a Tongue Weight Safety Demonstration for some additional insight:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=w9Dgxe584Ss

Another thing to keep in mind is how much a T@G trailer may bounce and jump around on uneven surface roads. Twice I have experienced multiple beverage cans being ruptured on return trips while inside the trailer Nocold refrigerator. A lot of bounce can take place on dirt roads.

I would suggest not adding to the rear of the trailer and instead consider another location. This also would assure proper viewing of your T@G taillights.
    Always be aware of your tongue weight capacity. That weight would be counted in on your total payload capacity. My Rav4 payload capacity is rated at 1,070 lbs. Reaching that point is very easy to do.

Best of luck.

• Options
    daveandcorlenedaveandcorlene Member Posts: 74

Would a front mounted receiver on the tow vehicle be a good option for a bike rack?

2021 TAG XL Boondock
    Toyota Tacoma
    Evergreen State

• Options
    JayJay Member Posts: 71

Adding weight to the back of the T&G WILL increase the possibility of trailer sway during towing. I added a "Jackit" bike rack. I put two bikes on there are towed over 8,000km last year with NO issues. They are secured by the tires, no rocking, no movement at all. Very easy to install, took less than 1 hour. I was also able to see them 100% of the time.

• Options
    ElPhoenixElPhoenix Member Posts: 40

We went with the JackIt as well and inverted the arm to bring the bikes lower and change the center of gravity. It does add almost 100lbs to the tongue weight.

• Options
    JayJay Member Posts: 71

Watch this video on trailer loading too heavy in the very back.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mW_gzdh6to

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Good choice for the bikes!
    The rack looks good. Thanks for sharing.

• Options

I loved using the Jack-It. I actually have one for sale, used. I had to go to another option because hauling my 29er on it and my wife's 27.5 just didn't seem to work too well. It was a tight fit and there was some rubbing of the forks.

• Options
    RodabossRodaboss Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2020

Encouraged by ElPhoenix. It’s a great bike rack for my Hoolligan. Also reversed the stinger, perfect height.

• Options
    RodabossRodaboss Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2020
  • Options
    edited August 2020

one downfall of the Jack-it: if the trailhead where you ride is nowhere close to your campsite, you have to throw the bikes in your tow vehicle. I needed a setup that I could take my bikes with me on the same rack even after the trailer is disconnected.

• Options
    michelevaneykenmichelevaneyken Member Posts: 9

Rich, I like your set-up: it keeps weight on the car and allows the bikes to go with you during the day. The way I see it, one wants to take the bikes off at the camp site in any case as they're either going to block the back door of the vehicle or the moon window of the T@G.

My question: the person I rented from before buying my T@G has discouraged me from having bikes between the car and trailer; he says when making turns, one customer destroyed both bikes and also damaged the trailer. How does your set-up avoid this danger? And can you provide the brand and model names that you use (I have a Subaru Forester), not sure that will make a difference. Thanks for your insights! Michele

mvaneyken@davis
    2016 T@G XL (@rchy)
    2018 Subaru Outback