Options

Renogy Suitcase 100w?

Has anyone purchased the Renogy 100W suitcase kit (RNG-KIT-STLCSLW-100B-NC)? We ordered one through Amazon as an open box but does not seem to be in good condition, so back it will go. We are looking for a portable (light weight) 100W kit for our 2019 T@G. Your thoughts and/or recommendations are welcome on vendors and sizing. Do we need 100W or will 50W suffice? We have not (yet!) made any mods to our trailer, so whatever the base power requirements are is where we are now.

Comments

• Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 20

We have a 2018 Boondock XL and the 100 watt Renogy suitcase with the stock 85 amp-hr lead-acid battery (soon to be replaced w a 100 a-hr group 27). I did remove the TV and we seldom use the stereo. Other than that it's pretty standard. We do have the Norcold fridge. I don't know if you have that or the Yeti cooler.

We live in the northwest where sunny days cannot be relied on. The 100 watt suitcase has been great for us and has always met our needs. In full sun conditions (and without the Norcold) the 50 watt would probably suffice but we went a little bigger given our location.

In our experience Renogy has been a good company to work with. They often have a discount for 10% or so. There prices are usually competitive with Amazon prices and I'd rather go directly to Renogy if I can.

Good luck! It will be interesting to see what others have to say.

• Options
    CoddiwompleCoddiwomple Member Posts: 5

Thank you for your input. We live in the Mid-Atlantic area and also do not have to luxury of the mostly sunny days as in the Southwest. Yes we have the norcold cooler. We love the idea of a suitcase because it is light and easy to pack. It came damaged with a circle rippled area in the middle of both panels so we thought it might be better to ask a bit more questions as we try to fix this problem. We just got off the phone with renogy and are working to figure out what to do next.

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

You may wish to search this site "Renogy".
    I did the same as you, purchased from Amazon and had to return. Physical defect upon receipt. I turned around and bought directly from Renogy for cheaper price and free shipping.
    I almost got the feeling that items on Amazon might be seconds or returns.
    My 100 watt suitcase does the job just fine with my wet cell battery.
    I would suggest buying two 15 foot wire extensions and the SAE adapter.
    Be aware the when the unit is in the sun, it can get hot to the touch when you move it for achieving best sun collection.
    My suit case came with the 20 amp Voyager controller. I could add another 100 watt panel if inclined. (I am not).

• Options

That was actually one of the questions we were wondering about. We ordered a 10amp Wander controller since the panel did not come with one. What are the real differences when it comes with the controller amp sizes?

• Options

Calculate amps would be 100 w / 12 v = 8.33 amps

Solar panels do not put out 12 volts, instead a range runnig say up to 14 or 15 volts.
    Your 10 amp converter could maybe control an additional 30 watt panel. However due to environmental factors, you need to factor in an additional 25%.
    A 20 amp controller could accomidate another 100 watt panel. The Voyager controller is water proof. I am not sure if the Wander controller is.

• Options

Thank you SO much! That actually is a great explanation on how it works. You brought up another question for me - How do you add on an additional solar panel if we ever want to do that?

• Options

Adding two together could be done by simply connecting two wires to each terminal of the controller. If that was impossible due to physical space constraints around the terminals, an adapter of some sort would be required to connect.
    You would need to connect the panels in parallel.
    If you have two panels with different output ratings, the maximum voltage for the system is determined by the panel with the lowest maximum rated voltage.

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 173
    edited October 2020

We purchased directly from Renogy the 100W Suitcase with a built in controller. Which we use to charge a 105 AH acid cell battery for boon docking. Works so well that I've stopped toting a small generator. I originally thought about adding flexible solar panels to our T@G, but the ability to move the panels into sunlight while the T@G is in shade tipped the scale. The suitcase fits nicely under the bed in our T@G. You'd almost think they designed it that way ; )

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 173

Oops. It's the 100W suitcase with controller

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

I have the 100 Watt with controller. I LOVE it. Exactly what I need to keep my fan and my Norcold going when I'm off grid. I got mine on an Amazon Prime Day deal a couple of years ago. I also recommend the extension cable and the adapter to reverse the polarization.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Good call. We like to watch a movie or two before bedtime as well as running the fan and Norcold which is why I am looking at the 200W.

Which adapter did you purchase SueBHunny? And did you plug that into a Zamp outlet?

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options

This is what I got for my 100 watt Renogy Suitcase.
    Remember you need two of the 15 foot extension cables.
    I plug in at the T@G SAE plug and simply reversed the wires at the battery.
    Remember for a small cost you can also purchase a cable for security. Thread it through the handle. I made mine, but should be able to adapt something as pictured.
    I also purchased a temperature sensor, since I camp in the hot desert often.