Options

New Tow Vehicle

13»

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

The new Jeep and I have been getting to know each other. I did a camping trip last weekend to see how well it will get along with the trailer and all is well so far. I put on a couple hundred miles of highway, dirt road travel and returned 20.4 mpg combined. That's 6 mpg better than the old one. Lots of power but most important, power where I need it down low in the rpm range. The wiring harness and brake controller performed flawlessly.

I have made it a crusade to keep weight down on this Jeep and to that end, found a great deal on a new bumper/winch combo. The new bumper (DV8 fs-15) is a metal stubby with overrider and winch mount and weighs just 10 lbs more than the stock plastic one. The stock plastic bumper quickly gets mashed and scratched up by sand, gravel and underbrush and really doesn't provide much in the way of protection. The winch (Smittybuilt XRC 9500) weighs just under 50 lbs without cable so total beef added is essentially just the weight of the winch. That's fine for 2 reasons: I like having a winch and, while I don't often use it, I appreciate the peace of mind. It also gives a bit of weight to the front end to offset the tongue weight of the trailer. It just drives better with a bit of beef on the front. Jeeps can get a little squirrelly with a trailer and the extra weight up front helps keep things planted.

I still need to get my CB radio and antenna put in but that's about the extent of my major changes. This one came with rock-rails, high clearance fenders, deep gears and longer springs so I don't need to fiddle with any of the hard (expensive) stuff.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited September 2019

A couple new photos for ya...

The new winch/bumper all mounted and tidy. I did that twice. I mounted it all up and got things working but wasn't happy with a few details so I took it all off and redid it. The second time, I removed the skid plate, airbox and a few other things so I could route the wiring for the winch better. I modified the skid plate to better accommodate the fog lights and related wiring so now I'm happy with it. I'm waiting for a sale on synthetic winch line and will peel off the steel cable and replace it. That will save another 30 lbs.

The second photo is of the new top skinned back following a topless cruise. The new top design is miles above the old one so far as ease of removal and road manners while down. No more ropes, bungie cords necessary to keep it stowed. Goes up and down in a couple of minutes now.

More on trailering once I've sanitized a few photos...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited September 2019

Bent up an antenna mount for my CB antenna yesterday.

I have since ground the ends down to a nice soft radius and will pick up some hardware and paint for it today. Should work.

Now, to build an overhead console for the radio, a light or two and some switches.

Busy, busy, busy......

Got my antenna bracket finished and spray-bombed. Nice...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

It's been pretty crazy around here as we get things in order for snow. I did a bunch of painting, roof repair, a new big window for the living room along with all new extension jams and trim, wood-splitting and stacking and many other things. I found an old lawn tractor for my son for his birthday and we got to work repairing the engine back to working order after replacing the heads with exhaust valve seats and guides. That's done now too. Spooned (Wrestled?) on some new rubber and it runs like new money. He's happy.

I did sneak off from time to time and worked at putting the new Jeep in order. I needed a place to put a few things I am moving over from the old Jeep and got to work finishing my overhead console and getting it wired:

Complex, but with lots of options for hooking up LED indicators to the switches.

I have it all powered through the auxiliary circuit for the Jeep. Nice to have the option of having it "Battery Hot" or "Ignition Hot". Right now, I have it set to "Ignition Hot" so it all goes off with the ignition switch. For using the lights and radio with engine off, I can always select "acc".

Switches are, from left to right:

#1 Downward map spot lights

The maps spotlights are actually tiny LED license plate lights I found at an auto parts store. They are spot beam and don't "get in your face" at night. Both drivers and passengers side spots are wired to the same switch.

#2 Dome light

One of the things that Jeeps need is better dome lights. I put a 6" LED light bar on the console for parking-lot mucking about. It's nice and bright.

#3 Monitor for trailer mounted rear view camera

#4 Trigger wire interrupt for trailer brakes

I've found that when offroad, I want to disable the trailer brakes from the brake pedal. This switch breaks the trigger circuit from the brake controller while still allowing me to use the manual brake control on the dash. Nice...

#5 Front mounted driving lights

#6 Unassigned

Passenger side with a peek at the 6-wire disconnect for removing console when necessary without having to cut wires.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

I haven't been doing much with the trailer of late. The "season" is approaching and I have been cramming in all the last "do it now or wait" house stuff. I have been busy nights and weekends working on graphics files for both the new Jeep and the trailer. I finished 2 files and sent them off to the printer. Picked them up today and got time to install my new Jeep hood graphic. While I am terrible at vinyl graphic installation I am determined to get "not as terrible" so I stuck one on today for a test-fit. I do really like the design and the colors turned out to be quite good. I'm getting better at the design side at least. Next, offroad "tire tracks" for the side of the Jeep and trailer....
    I'm working on it...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

what are you using to create the graphics?

• Options

@LuckyJ said:
    what are you using to create the graphics?

I'm using an Adobe Illustrator clone on my Mac desktop.
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited November 2019

I've been slowly moving forward on my new Jeep as time and money allow. I had previously purchased 3 large sheets (36X39") of vinyl wrap for the Jeep and installed some of it. I got around to putting the rest of what I ordered on:

I put two large pieces up the side of the Jeep on the rear doors, then went over the edges with pinstripe tape. I must say that I am starting to get the hang of this wrap-thing. Not there yet, but getting better. I had something of an "aha!" moment and things have been working better. Here's a spy photo of the door-handle recess on the drivers-side rear door. The small round pin looking thing trying to poke through the vinyl is the detent for the rear door handle.

Here is the installed piece. I've been making this up as I went along so to say that it looks "Like the design" would insinuate that there was a design. It was actually more of an outline of a design. I just sort of made it up on the spot. I wanted it to go all the way from rocker to roof rail but didn't have a large enough piece to do it in one go so I fudged it by going through the window. It's the same on both sides. Looks okay.

One of the two known design elements I've had in mind from the start was to try and wrap the top half of the door panels. I finally got around to pulling the door panels yesterday. Having no instruction save a grainy web photo, it took me a bit to get the door panels off. Once off, I quickly realized that, while they have a horizontal seam and are two pieces, the two halves are actually plastic-welded together in such a way that it would be very difficult to get them apart. I elected to continue and took the inside switches, wiring and door pull off and wrapped down to the parting seam in the door panel.

Here's the passenger side with the door closed. I plan to order some more of the same pattern (my vinyl printer still has both files) and wrap both rear door panels to match but need to wait until more money comes my way. It's a good winter project as I can pull the door panels in the garage and do the work in the kitchen when everyone is gone.

I have plans for also doing the dash (red insert panels in the photo) as well in the same pattern but that requires pulling the passenger-side airbag and is much more complicated. I also want to wait and see how well the vinyl sticks to the door panels before doing any more.

I have started working on a design for the trailer too but as my wrapping skills were so poor, I didn't feel like I could afford to practice on such large sheets of vinyl. I feel as though I've progressed enough to think about tackling that. In any case, I'll need to wait for warmer weather anyway. No heated garage space on this ranch. I plan to use a variation on the Jeep theme with a topographic map underlay and layers of graphics over that. It's fun, but that's a lot of space to fill and it would be easy to over-do. I'll work on it. In addition to getting much better at vinyl installation, I'm also learning loads of fun things with the graphic program so more fun things are now within my skill set. Fun stuff and a good winter project.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    BobrocksBobrocks Member Posts: 17
  • Options

I've not been slacking on the Jeep project either. I have that finished and put to bed as much as possible for now. I don't have any other major upgrades on my Jeep, "To-Do" list.

I got my suspension lift installed. This time, I really punked out and had my dealer do the install. I worked with them for quite awhile and got most of the parts from them, so they were quite generous with the labor rate. Mostly, I wanted to preserve the factory warranty so having them do the work went a long way toward that end. They also aligned it for me afterwards. I added new longer/stronger front lower control arms from Rubicon Express in order to preserve the factory castor angle. That was the right decision. I didn't want to have to do the alignment twice. The lift height is 2 1/2" on both ends. It's been done for about a month or so but I had not had an opportunity to tow the trailer post-lift until yesterday. Works great and the additional height means the hitch lines up pretty much spot on. I'll get some photos next time I take it out. Looking at the photo, I suppose I should add a car-wash to the list, but the weather has been so cold and nasty that most of the car washes have been closed.

I also tossed the steel winch cable in favor of a synthetic one. I dressed that up with a Factor 55 cable-end for closed system winching. Looks nice on there but, much more importantly, is about 10 times safer than the steel cable with open hook. It's also about 30 lbs lighter than the steel cable/cast hook combo.

For those who think it's all just bling, Yes, I do use the winch and extraction equipment. A couple of weeks after I installed the new winch rope, my brother's son backed his tractor off an embankment and flopped it over on its side. I snatched it out straight with my tow strap, then went up on top and pulled it back upright with the winch. His neighbor tried to push it upright with the backhoe but it would just slide around the yard. I've never (thankfully) had to use my recovery equipment on myself, but have used it occasionally for others. It's good to know it's there....and working....

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Just telling my bud this morning, we had a couple, and I wish I had one of the two jeeps we had. Traded a nice one in on our 4Runner long ago. 2003. Used to trade one of our rigs every year or two. Been retired a few years and love the 4Runner. Gave the Acura to our son. My 66Chev pickup is just for fun. Put a lot of time and money into that bugger. Just like our trailers.
    Looks like you are having a lot of fun. I never got that far with the Mods.
    I do appreciate your sharing.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options

Thanks Tom,

I've not met many folks who owned a Jeep and don't remember it fondly. They are hard to own without "fiddling" with them.

I also owned a couple of early Toyota pickups (4 wheel drive) that I really enjoyed but they have lost a lot of their old off-road chops since then, traded away in favor of Urban street savvy. I really liked them though...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    LightningdonLightningdon Member Posts: 110

Jeep= Just Empty Every Pocket =) Currently have a modified '74 CJ5, but have had several modern ones and have loved them all.

• Options

Between my Jeep and trailer it's like feeding Seagulls....😎

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

I got my wheel bearings stuffed in along with fresh wheel seals and a good brake bits going over. Adjusted my parking brake and took Chuck (wagon) out for a tour of the neighborhood. It's around freezing, roads are glazed with ice and salt and snow (so that means they are on the "better" end of completely normal winter driving conditions). I reset the threshold for my brake controller post-adjustment of the brakes and things are working well. I'll put 50 miles or so on, then come back and re-check wheel lugnut tightness (notice I didn't say "torque") and give the wheel bearings the old "knee-to-the-wheel" preload test. I still need to do a proper under the trailer inspection of the frame bits but I'll go wash it first so I can see what I'm looking at.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    57even57even Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2020

New to towing here - just ordered a TAG XL Boondock (not a TAB!) and I'm trying to get my tow vehicle ready for the trailer. I'm having a hitch added to a 2020 Subaru Outback, but not sure if they are going to be wiring it for an electric brake or lights, anyone know?

If it turns out they are just doing the hitch what all would I need to add to get it up and running? Ball, wiring for lights or electric brakes? I work for NAPA Corporate, so I can get the parts at cost but, I just need someone to help me identify the correct parts to order. Anyone willing to guide a newbie and help me save a few bucks so I can buy more fun stuff?

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

Who is doing your hitch adding? If it's Subaru, they may give you just the hitch, or they may also give you a 4pin connecter with wiring. My used Outback came with hitch and 4 pin. That said, there will be no brakes and no charge wire and you'll need at the least a 4 pin/7 blade adapter. I had the 7 blade adapter added at UHaul and my RV dealer added the charge wire. But I have no brakes (my T@G is neither XL or Boondock and the mountains in PA are not that big a deal). I leave it to the experts to tell you what parts you will need.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
    57even57even Member Posts: 5

@SueBHunny said:
    Who is doing your hitch adding? If it's Subaru, they may give you just the hitch, or they may also give you a 4pin connecter with wiring. My used Outback came with hitch and 4 pin. That said, there will be no brakes and no charge wire and you'll need at the least a 4 pin/7 blade adapter. I had the 7 blade adapter added at UHaul and my RV dealer added the charge wire. But I have no brakes (my T@G is neither XL or Boondock and the mountains in PA are not that big a deal). I leave it to the experts to tell you what parts you will need.

I'm having the Subaru dealer add the hitch I'm trading in a Crosstrek for an Outback for the extra towing capacity. Just talked to the dealer they said the hitch comes with a 4-pin flat. I'll probably just wind up having the RV dealer do the work, but if I can get the parts cheaper, I'd like to try... might not save much.