Options

2018 T@g Outback brakes

Concerned with one brake hub overheating, had to re-packed the bearings on the way to Florida and hub is still getting hot.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 139

Use the nüCamp dealer located to find the nearest nüCamp dealer. If you’re not having any luck with that, find a utility trailer business. Generally their hourly rate is a lot cheaper than an RV place.

Can you tell if your brake controller is operating correctly?

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

2018 should still be under warranty. Give your dealer a call, they should direct you to a shop near your location to help out.

• Options
    KrisrKrisr Member Posts: 13

Problem is nuecamp is closed till the 3rd, I have made an arrangement with General RV were I purchase the t@g next week. The brake controller works fine no issues, problem is that the pads are rubbing against the drum with or with out the controller in line, last place backed of the pads but after 100 miles the drum is still getting hot and the other side is stone cold. So far I stoped at two places one to get the brakes adjusted 40$ and camp world to get the bearings repacked and re-greased as there was almost no grease in then 400$. I got a felling that the problem is related to pads and the magnet. General rv should do the work under warranty so I hope.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517
    edited December 2017

I would check the break away cable as a precaution and ensure that the plastic plunger that the cable is connected to hasn't been accidentally pulled out of the box. That would of course engage the pads I know, but stranger things have happened.

NuCamp will make it right and you might want to speak to Marvin Raber at the factory and let him know what has taken place when they return to work next week.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

I have to cmfess that since I have been working since the 25 th at 8 and will only got off from work monday the 1st at 8, I kind of lost track of the dates and forgot that this is the holidays.

I would suggest what Mike said, and also, did you or can you jack on side of the trailer at the time? (Keep it attached to tow vehicule and jack at the rear corner of the frame for the side you want to jack and turn the whell by hand. You should find out if the brakes are rubbing and compare one side to other. You will also have a chance to verify the bearings at the same time if there is any play.

• Options

Thank you for your feedback, mike the brakeaway pin is inside of the box not pulled. I try to lift the trailer with stabilization jack once we ready to poll out and check the wheels for play, last time we done that there was a minimal drag on the wheels and no rubbing in the hub. Keep in mind this is only on one side the passenger side, the driver side is fine. When the hub gets hot I guess thinks expand and the rubbing starts.

• Options

You're probably correct in your earlier comment regarding the magnets in the hub. Hopefully they can install new components and eliminate your problem once and for all as this isn't something we see with the axles.

Dexter Axle is the manufacturer of the axles and they could probably provide you with additional support with your issue as well and they do have great online resources and an 800 number as well. And since the brakes on your trailer are electric it could easily be a frayed wire causing a short, etc. I'll be watching this issue and it will be interesting to find out what the root cause of your problem ends up being.

Keep us posted and best of luck to you!

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

Bearing nut could have been overtighten a little, causing overheating in long runs.

So I see only two possible culprit, overtighten bearing or slightly tight brakes or maybe sticky brakes that only completely release after a little while. (Pads could be contaminated with grease).

So that brings the count to 3 basic possibilities but could be something else.

• Options

I will keep you posted once out of the dealer on Tuesday.

• Options

So again the bearing replacement with regressing, spacer is needed for the wheels as the gently rub the sidewall and heated up the tire as well, I seen the rubbing mark, tech mention that there was not enough grease, they mention that the grease needs to be inside of compartment where the brake pads are at, they see no issues with the brakes them self houseful this is a last stop before we get home.
    I called Marvin and left him a voice mail about the issues we are having expecting a call back in a day or two.

• Options

Called Dexter as well, they are happy to process the claim but have no inside of what can heat up the drum besides a lack of grease between inner and outer bearings and that is it.

• Options

Issue is resolved by installing new bearings and placing the 1/4 spacers between the hub and the wheel. Traveled over 900 miles and both hubs are cold.

• Options

That's GREAT news!

So it was a spacer issue all along?

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

I think the missing spacer may have something to do with it but it definitely helped with the tire rubbing in the inter-fender, the fix was replacement of both bearings, it seems like the right side bearing was defective to begin with when we got the t@g. Thank you all for your input and suggestions.

• Options

@Krisr said:
    I think the missing spacer may have something to do with it but it definitely helped with the tire rubbing in the inter-fender, the fix was replacement of both bearings, it seems like the right side bearing was defective to begin with when we got the t@g. Thank you all for your input and suggestions.

I think it is the firts time you are mentionning a tire rubbing on the inner side of the tire with the trailer body.

But anyhow, nice to know that the problem is fixe! :)

• Options
    KarenK_ORKarenK_OR Member Posts: 17

I have a new T@G XL with less than 250 miles on it. I came rolling into the campground and the brakes were squealing. I have the tire repair come out and check the brakes, the passenger side was too tight and wouldn’t let the wheel go forward. He adjusted it and noted there was rub marks on the trailer and tire. He said the tires are too big for the trailer. The next size down would work better and only lower the trailer about a half an inch. They also wouldn’t rub. So for now I had him adjust the brakes and will take it to the rv dealer where i bought it, as he suggested. My problem sounds similar to the others. I will also let the manufacturer know. I’m just glad I was within 30 miles of the tire repair shop.

Be Kind, Be Well, Be Happy
    2018 T@G XL, 2018 Toyota 4 Runner
    Lebanon, OR

• Options
    edited May 2018

Also the drum was hot, the bearings and lube was ok.

Lebanon, OR

• Options

About the tires rubbing, let the dealer know, and if he argues, let them know that nucamp knows and it he continues, let nucamp know. The should send you wheel spacer for free.

That is what they did for me. I will let my not to good dealer know shortly.

• Options

Thanks

Lebanon, OR

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

If only one side is getting warm then it's not an issue with electrics. E-brakes are wired in parallel so it is unlikely that you have unintentional electrical activation. Brake shoes out of adjustment or bearing preload are the most likely cause. After that, look for a sticking or broken magnetic puck spring. It's also possible that you have some hardware (brake puck arm) binding. My money is on tight linings. Repacking won't solve that. There is a good brake adjustment primer on a number of websites. If memory serves, the dexter brake shoes can be adjusted without pulling the drum but you'll want to take a look inside anyway.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited May 2018

William...could you give me a private cell phone number I can call next time I’m on the road and experience a mechanical issue? =) Only kidding!

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    edited May 2018

@TomD said:
    William...could you give me a private cell phone number I can call next time I’m on the road and experience a mechanical issue? =) Only kidding!

Tom,
    I never answer my phone for reasons that may or may not be obvious... B)
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

Me too.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

Just to let folks know that I asked my tire dealer know about the spacers as a fix for the squealing and rubbing he said they will not work on any vehicles that have spaces due to it being a safety issue. He said the tires were too big for the trailer, and the next size down wouldn't take away from the look of the trailer, but would solve the issue I've included a picture of the scraping on the side of the trailer from the tire. I now have it at the and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with the brakes so now they are keeping it another few days for another expert to look at it. I told them to contact Nucamp and other people have the same issue. I'll keep you posted.

Lebanon, OR

• Options

My rbbing is way worst than that, but not thrue the wall yet. I see a wheel circle in the black painted under cariage paint.

• Options

My final resolution to this problem that started in DEC 2017 was an Axel replacement, between me Dexter and RV service department they all agreed that the issues is related to Axel its self. I still have the wheel spacers installed with the new Axel and the issues is resolved.

Included is Maintenance Schedule.

• Options

Thanks, my trailer ended up being out of service for 7 weeks and they finally replaced the brakes and one of the drums was warped. I also replaced the wireless brake controller with a hard wired one. I have driven about 2000 miles
    Since then and it seems to be ok now.

Lebanon, OR

• Options

It was an option for me as well but I put pressure on Dexter to get the Axel replace knowing the history and issues behind it they have good warranty program. It took about a month to get the Axel replaced via the warranty claim. I still use the AutoWbrake with the trailer, I put about 3k on the new axel and no issue.

• Options

I'd be REALLY interested to know the spindle to spindle measurements of the replacement axle compared to the stocker. Wider? It's unfortunate that the #9 Dexter doesn't come with the bolt-on spindles like the #10. Perhaps it is an option. I am still upset about being cornered into running wheel spacers but there was no other good option short of buying a new axle. If it comes to that, I will not pass go but immediately proceed to either the Dexter #10 or a Timbren axle. Grrrrrr....
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

I also do not feel comfortable with spacers. especially after being told by by a brake and tire repair mechanic that they are not safe. He also said the tires were too big for the trailer (hence the need for spacers) and the rubbing as shown on my picture in an earlier comment. In short: on my receipt from the RV dealer it said they put 2 spacers, and replaced both brake assemblies and one seal. They also said one of the drums was warped and that was resolved, however it's not on the reciept. All this was covered under warranty and the RV dealer did communicate with Nucamp and the warranty covered all charges.However it was with me refusing to take the trailer, returning it the dealer several times, going to the managers, and becoming a vocal customer the issues were resolved correctly.
    I am not a mechanic and enjoyed my other Tag except for no brakes and that was the reason I traded it in for the Tag XL. I don't know the answers to your questions, however appreciate your concerns and remarks on this issue.
    I found it very frustrating, especially with the RV dealer.
    I have driven it after the repairs about 2000 miles with no issues that I am aware of. For me, safety issues like this put a damper the joy of ownership, and now there is always the brake, wheel issues rolling around in my head. Ditto, "Grrrrr......"

Lebanon, OR