Options

2018 T@g Outback brakes

2»

Comments

• Options
    KarenK_ORKarenK_OR Member Posts: 17

Thanks Krisr for your comments. A new axle may be my next step.

Be Kind, Be Well, Be Happy
    2018 T@G XL, 2018 Toyota 4 Runner
    Lebanon, OR

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I am not afraid of the stock axle. I've no doubt it has the capacity for the job under normal use. The brakes are fine and require little maintenance. As to wheel spacers... If one chooses the right kind and quality, they are also fine. The spacers I wouldn't use are the ones that just go on the studs like dinner plates with holes in them. The spacers I used are no more dangerous than the wheels are, but my beef with them is the fact that they unevenly load the bearings. Just more maintenance as far as I am concerned.
    As to the warped drum, I only see one cause for that and it's a dragging brake. The causes of dragging brakes are myriad.
    As to the rf brake controllers, not for this kid. I like my brakes hard-wired, thanks. I've listened to too many other motorists music (wifi) to trust my brakes to that kind of tech...
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    KarenK_ORKarenK_OR Member Posts: 17

Yes mine is now hard wired, and it seems to work better.

Be Kind, Be Well, Be Happy
    2018 T@G XL, 2018 Toyota 4 Runner
    Lebanon, OR

• Options
    tacetmantacetman Member Posts: 16

The actual function of an RF brake controller (in almost call cases) is still hardwired. It takes the braking "signal" from the actuation of your brake lights, and gauges braking intensity by an accelerometer that is either bolted onto the trailer (in the case of a product like the Tekonsha Prodigy RF) or temporarily mounted (like the Curt Echo).

The only thing the wireless control does is let you change the gain setting (which you wouldn't change much once you get it set correctly during initial setup) and actuate the emergency override. The latter is still fairly important but in my experience I have never lost connection between my Tekonsha Prodigy RF and the controller itself, and the manual override performs well in testing.

• Options
    csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353

Not sure of our Provincial laws here in Newfoundland & Labrador yet, but I don't believe many Provinces and States require electric brakes on trailers under 2000 lb. I've got the curt Echo and have not yet set it up with our T@G XL as it has not yet arrived. I don't think I will be using the brakes locally. We're planning on a long, x-Country trek this summer. For sure we'll connect the Curt Echo for that trip.

• Options
    edited March 2021

Just checked out all the States. Many States require trailer brakes for 3000 lb or more. Others not required if a TV and trailer can stop within legal limits. The rest, any trailer weighing 1500 lbs or more are required to have brakes in Arkansas, Idaho and Nevada. Any trailer weighing more than 1000 lbs must have brakes in New York.
    https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/

And here's Canada regulations:
    https://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=155:canada-brake-laws-by-province&catid=22:rving-in-canada

• Options

Ha! Our Province doesn't require trailer brakes unless it weight over 9923 lbs. All other Provinces are roughly 3000 lbs.

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 208

What are you using for a tow vehicle, out of curiosity.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options

@zgfiredude said:
    What are you using for a tow vehicle, out of curiosity.

A 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan for long distance and a 2010 Ford Escape for local.