Options

Fire extingusher Move

The current location of the fire extingusher hits the board when i open the under bed storage. Has anyone moved it or had this same problem?

San Diego, CA
2018 T@G boondock
2011 Subaru Outback

Comments

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited May 2018

Hey...If a fire starts in My SS while I’m resting in there with the fire extinguisher what am I to do? GET OUT! The extinguisher location you see now is required by fire codes only to be in the space. Where it is located in the unit can be anywhere that is readily accessible and not in the way.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

It should be high enough not to interfear.

Did you make any mods to your bed board? Do you open it from the front of from the side, like inges in the middle or at the foot?

• Options
    michaelsandovalngcmichaelsandovalngc Member Posts: 29

TomD: that is true i think i could just store it in the head board.

LuckyJ: The flimsy hinges broke on our first outing(was going to replace them anyways from what i have read from other people). I was going to put 3 heave duty hinges to replace them. I will let you guys know if replacing them helps.

San Diego, CA
    2018 T@G boondock
    2011 Subaru Outback

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2018

I moved my fire extinguisher off the wall and up to the wooden cabinet above it. It's just as handy and much less invasive. You can see where I moved it in this thread:
    http://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/117/electric-opener-for-basement-hatch-s#latest

I'd agree that there is almost certainly some obscure code that requires it to be so high by so far from the door etc, etc but as TomD says: spend your time in a quality way by getting out....just grab your Faberge eggs and diamond tiara and go. Worry about it after you are safe. I can get to mine quickly and it's now out of the way of elbows, faces and switches. From a purely use-based standpoint, it makes more sense to me to have it in the galley so when your flaming Brioche or Crepe Suzette dish gets out of hand you can mitigate things a bit.....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 31

Or perhaps have two of them.

NathanB

• Options
    michaelsandovalngcmichaelsandovalngc Member Posts: 29

All of this info is perfect. Thanks everyone really appreciate it

San Diego, CA
    2018 T@G boondock
    2011 Subaru Outback

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Only had the unit for a few days. Already bought a Kitchen small extinguisher. The other is be a good idea to put in the overhead cabinet. Reckon I spent too many of my 52 working years considering the NFPA code and numerous other safety regs and issues. Always tried to keep my people safe.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

As noted earlier by others, the extinguisher is probably located low and near the entrance/exit area of the trailer for not only convenience reasons, but for safety. In the event of a fire most people are going to try to get out and away from the fire. And after getting safely out a person could open the door and grab the extinguisher and begin fighting a fire much easier than if the extinguisher were mounted inside a cabinet, etc.

These are great things to consider, discuss and practice as it creates familiarity and is a great memory jogger. I use to simulate and rehearse fire emergencies when my kids were small and took the time to explain to them why it was necessary to get low to the floor, not inhale the smoke and find “the safe place” to meet outside should an emergency occur.

I worked for the power company in Michigan and was involved in training, have experienced and been involved in fire related emergencies and until the real thing happens you just don’t know how people are going to react, respond and perform in the event of a fire. These events happen quickly, plastics, rubber and synthetic materials are highly flammable and go up quickly, creating thick, black smoke and a roaring fire. We were taught to start at the lowest point or at the source of the fire and direct the extinguisher there, while moving upwards to extinguish and fight a fire.

At any rate, good discussion and take the time to remind others where an extinguisher is located, how to use it in the event of a fire and any safety related tips to undertake should something happen. In today’s busy and stress filled world people have more than enough on their minds and it is these small items that we pass by daily that may be the difference between life and death. And since the extinguishers are so small, you have limited product to fight a fire and accuracy in fighting a fire will be critical.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

I’ve had a 40 year career in fire safety and Mike is spot on. These trailers may be little but are still subject to incredible surprises.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV