Options

Measuring Tongue Weight at home

2»

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Technicaly, a T@G even Outback/Boondock is 1200 lbs, 10% is 120 lbs. So that still allow you a good fudge factor.

But this can melt very very quickly.

• Options
    MisterbeeMisterbee Member Posts: 23

Thanks for the reply. My intention is to travel light, on a cross country road trip. We will stay at campgrounds with RV service, so I don't think I need to get too fancy. Not bringing bikes, generators, etc., mostly looking to have a nice quiet place to sleep at night.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

@Misterbee said:
    Thanks for this fascinating discussion, I am really learning a lot. I am looking at buying a T@G, but my hitch is only rated for 200 lbs. of tongue weight. What do you folks think?

That's your hitch capacity, what is your vehicles tongue weight capacity?

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    willbingham1willbingham1 Member Posts: 63

Just some personal observations: by measuring the tongue weight of my 2017 TAG Max right at the ball hitch (where you attach to TV hitch), with about a half of tank of water, some load packed in galley, nothing in cooler, normal bedding in cabin, mostly full tank of propane, and group 24 battery, my weight on tongue was right at 140 pds on digital bathroom scale. This measurement was at the height of my TV hitch (as the trailer would be attached). Anything you do to change these parameters from more water on board, more stuff in cabin, more things on hitch, tongue higher or lower, forward or rearward pitch of trailer, will significantly affect your weight on your TV hitch. I currently have a rating of 350 pds max for tongue weight and 3500 max pds trailer weight to pull. I try to not get more than half of what is rated just to be safe. Also the height of your hitch if not close to level affects weight on hitch of TV (too high or too low, and not just right). I try to get hitch height to be just a bit below level. My dealer suggested the TV measurement for ball on hitch should be about 17.5 inches--somewhere in that neighborhood. I also am aware that not having enough weight on hitch can cause jacking or lift of TV rear end and destabilize trailer with TV and/or cause swaying or other issues--I had this happen with small pickup and a not correctly packed U-Haul (it was scary!). Find the sweet spot, and drive under speed limit. I usually drive no more than 65 on Interstate. I have not had any sway or destabilization of TV while towing 2017 TAG Max when set up properly, and I have tested way above 65 just to be sure. I do not have sway control nor brakes on trailer. Tow vehicle is 2018 Ford Edge SE with 2.0 Turbo and all works well together.

Previously this past August I towed this set up out west from KY using instead a 2018 CRV 1.5 Turbo with a hitch weight max of 150 pds. and 1500 max tow weight and drove this same TAG, 2017, over 5100 miles up and down mountains, etc. with no issues other than just a bit underpowered on major climbs. I was in some terrible side and head winds in Oklahoma both coming and going, with no issues other than gas mileage taking a hit. But I did observe as strictly as I could by counter balancing trailer to hitch and not exceeding tongue weight measured statically (tried to move towed weight closer to axil on trailer or even behind to have less hitch weight. You see, the hitch on the CRV was only a 1 1/4 inch receiver, so very limited (it was the Honda supplied hitch). (My current TV hitch is the 2 inch receiver) If one is very careful and observes and measures carefully and accurately your load on the hitch and trailer weight against your vehicle limits, one can be pretty safe in towing a TAG. It is made for smaller cars and SUV's--but within limits! With my current TV, Ford Edge SE, I have much more flexibility in how I set weights on tongue and trailer itself. So, hope this helps, as this is my experience having had before very large RV trailers and pickups with leveling/anti sway hitch systems now moving to this small Tear Drop and a mid-sized SUV. Praise the Lord, my gas mileage is so passed the 9 miles per I use to get with the large trailers, it makes traveling almost respectable at 19 miles per. Happy trails, all. Bill

• Options
    MisterbeeMisterbee Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2019

The vehicle's tongue weight capacity is unknown. The manufacturer has not published any towing specs, although I expect to receive them shortly. The hitch was designed specifically for this vehicle, and that manufacturer has rated it for 2500 lbs, and 200 lbs. at the tongue.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Ok, this can be a litgle tricky then.

My parent went from a 2005 Nissan XTrail ( not available in the US and I also have one now) that had a 1500 lbs towing cap, to a 2018 nissan Rogue. The itch made by a well renown hitch company as a 2 in tube, witch are usulay rated for about 300 lbs and 3500 lbs towing. This thing is that Nissan does not recomend any towing with the Rogue. Monly the dealer will say that you can tow a small trailer up to 1000lbs. But again, this is not from the manufacturer, but the dealer that want to sell the Rogue in a market where other offer a small towing cap.

Do not know what king of tranny you have, but I would be carefull with this.

And then you have all the ones that will jump in with liability and inssurance coverage. I will let them get on this, not my cup of tea.

Hope to see you outhere. :)

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 639

I also wanted to know what mine weighed. I stood on a scale, lifted the tongue to 16" and it came ot to be about 155lbs. I would not recommend my method. Back hurt for three days. My interior loading changes slightly per trip, but I think my measurement was an acurate representation. Propane tank mostly filled. The weight is likley 13%-14% of trailer weght,.