Options

Anyone Towing T@G with Jeep Wrangler 2 Door??

13»

Comments

• Options
    csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353
    edited March 2021

Hooked our T@G up to our Dodge Grand Caravan today and took it for a run. Just notice the trailer tug a bit on the road undulations. I might be expecting too much. After all, it is nearly 1600 lbs. That's like loading more than five 300 lb people in. I believe it's low at the tongue by a couple of inches. I heard the best ride experience comes when the trailer is level.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@csonni you will see a difference with better road surface. Ounce you hit the 500 toward labcity, the land is fairly flat and the black top from my experience should still be nice, so you should see a big difference.

But of course, tge 389 will probably be painfull, specially south of Le Relais Gabriel, he short very twisty gravel portion. Then back on tge rough portion, even if they have been improving the portion south of Manic 5, the T@G should still bounce a bit.

And not sure what king of angle you have, but level could help, but also look much sharper. ! 😊

• Options

Yes, I remember all those spots, even before there was any pavement. Very painful back then.

• Options
    edited March 2021

I just found that the ball size we were towing our new T@G with is a 1 and 7/8 inch ball. That would account for the occasional clunk we heard.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@csonni said:
    I just found that the ball size we were towing our new T@G with is a 1 and 7/8 inch ball. That would account for the occasional clunk we heard.

Yes for sure, and don't delay making tge change, cause tge coupler on tge T@G is pretty picky! 😉

• Options
    edited March 2021

Done this weekend. We haven’t yet taken it for a ride as the roads are getting slick with the warmer temps. I also wonder if the smaller ball accounted for the occasional “tugging” we felt on uneven road conditions. Can’t wait to take it for another drive.

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 175

Ignorant of the different ball sizes, a lot of new trailer haulers have shared your experience. On the wrong roads, it could have been much worse..

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

The T@G trailer is pretty short compared to its width. Especially the XL. That will cause some side to side "kicking" at the hitch when hitting a rock/pothole etc with one trailer wheel. While it can be a bit unnerving at first, it's perfectly normal and a function of length vs width of the trailer. It's generally a LOT more noticeable with less tongue weight. I like to run my trailer's tongue weight at its max for this trailer. Quiets the hitch and reduces the propensity to "kick" sideways at the tow vehicles' hitch.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.