Options

Anyone Towing T@G with Jeep Wrangler 2 Door??

Just wondering if anyone is towing a Tag 5 wide or 6 wide with a 2 door jeep wrangler? any issues or comments would be much appreciated. I'm wanting to purchase a Tag Outback. I like the 5 wide, looking for any feedback. Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    DavidJeniferDavidJenifer Member Posts: 5

I will probably be purchasing a Boondock XL next year and I have a 2D Jeep Wrangler. I’m having a trailer break controller installed so I can take advantage of the breaks on the trailer.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I have a 4 door but know a guy who pulls a Tab with a 2 door rubicon. I have had no problems pulling my 6 wide with my 4 door. Brakes are, in my orbit anyway, mandatory for any TV. 3.21 gears might make for a dog but my 3.73's work just fine.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    kevineso1kevineso1 Member Posts: 26

Thanks for the feedback folks, William, how about the width of the 6 wide? I was a little concerned how it might track behind the wrangler? I'm still a little partial to the 5 wide because it's just for me, and also the weight. but curious about how far the trailer tires stick out behind your jeep. thanks!! brakes are also in my orbit as well...

• Options

@kevineso1 said:
    Thanks for the feedback folks, William, how about the width of the 6 wide? I was a little concerned how it might track behind the wrangler? I'm still a little partial to the 5 wide because it's just for me, and also the weight. but curious about how far the trailer tires stick out behind your jeep. thanks!! brakes are also in my orbit as well...

I had an LG 5 wide and loved it. I was afraid the 6 wide would be enormous by comparison but it's only 6 inches wider per side. It sticks out past the Jeep about 3 inches not counting the fender, so it's reasonable. The real difference between the 5w and 6w is the 6w feels twice as big inside. Two people who aren't in a relationship will be comfy in the 6w, not the 5w...
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

William, thanks again for the insight. I'm a big fan of your posts, quite informative and entertaining as well!! True about the six inches on each side. The little extra weight of the XL is a small concern as well with my 2 door... I'm in Las Vegas so I either have to drive up to St. George, Utah, or down to Phoenix and see the two in person to really make my mind up. Been saving up for a while and want to make the right decision... Don't cha know.

I know what you mean about the extra foot inside, even with just one person. Also, I've seen some XL's without the microwave and just additional storage cabinets, which would be nice, not sure how much I would use that microwave, but who knows. Any other factors that you think I should consider would also be welcome!! Thanks, Kevin

• Options
    edited October 2018

Kevin,
    I ditched my microwave soon after purchase. Honestly, I'd like to have it, but I coveted the storage space more. The cool thing about the max package is you can store your microwave and stick it back in if you want to. There are advantages to both the 5w and 6w but for me, my favorite is the much larger galley. Seems twice as big in the 6w.
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@kevineso1, you did not mentioenned the year of your wrangler, but I kind of assume that this is either a JK or JL.

Like @WilliamA, i also pull a T@G with a Wrangler, 2 door in our case. In my case, it is a 5 wide Outback and it is a 2005 LJ wrangler.

We went with the 5', cause I wanted the outerwalls of the T@G to be the same width as the LJ tub, and I would also be able to see the full lenght of the TD wall from standard mirror. But the LJ or TJ are narrower than the JK JL models.

We just love our camping set-up. We have also never even looked at the XL, but do not regret the size of the regular T@G. It is realy up to your own preference.

As dor brakes, It is the first time I ever towed a trailer on any lenghts of travel with brakes. I still do not think that they were mendatory in my case ( law says something esle in many states and province for trailer above 1000 lbs ), but it is a really nice fudge factor on the side of safety.

The 2 door wranglers have the same weight as any of other SUVs out there that could or not tow a T@G, so even with traking capacity being above the T@G weight, be safe. But, in our case, when we travel, we are never in a hurry.

Have fun. Luc

• Options
    CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113
    edited October 2018

@kevineso1, like @LuckyJ and @WilliamA I tow with a wrangler. We have a 2 door 2013 10th anniversary edition Rubicon with about 100 lbs of Rockhard Skid plates Our 5 wide pulls just fine behind our rig though 70mph is about the limit I feel comfortable rolling down the super slab. Most of our travels are on back roads so not really a factor.

Forgot to mention I installed a Redarc trailer brake controller. Takes up no room in the jeep.

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

• Options

Thanks to all!! you guys have been a big help...

• Options

@CampHub said:

"Our 5 wide pulls just fine behind our rig though 70mph is about the limit I feel comfortable rolling down the super slab."

WilliamA said: "That's about the limit I feel I feel comfortable WITHOUT my trailer". Captain Slow...

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    DakotaRedDakotaRed Member Posts: 14

I have the same setup as CampHub, 2013 Rubicon with a 2018 Outback 5 wide, We have traveled over 4,000 miles with it this summer and it handles great. I have not installed a break controller yet, not sure if I will. As far as the 5 wide goes, its my wife me and a lab and its just fine for space. We have owned a tent trailer, pickup camper, travel trailer, and 5th wheel and most of the time when we are on a trip we are just sleeping in our camper so it makes since to go small.

• Options
  • Options

Ok, I think I need to bring back a pic. It is an old one, but the set-up is still the same, so here it is. It is a 2005 unlimited TJ. And with the jeep, usual speed is about 65 tops.

• Options

Luc, Thanks for the great picture!!

• Options

I'm like you, the 5 wide has my name written all over it!!

• Options
    Gklong2018Gklong2018 Member Posts: 1

For TAG MAX XL, use my Hybrid RAV 4 with regenerative breaking. Works very well on hills and gas is 11 to 19 miles per gallon, depending on the draft. It goes into EV mode down hills.

• Options

11 miles, wow, that is a lot for an hybrid. I did 15 (not with an XL), but aan outback with a rtt on my 2005 manual nissan X-Trail and loaded for tree weeks for 3 people including 1 etra fridge.

I guess that hybrid are not for me yet.

But still, I am sure that you like your Rav! :)

• Options
    ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90
    edited October 2018

My hybrid Audi goes 19mpg up hill from AZ for CO

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• Options
    MartogMartog Member Posts: 97

@LuckyJ said:
    Ok, I think I need to bring back a pic. It is an old one, but the set-up is still the same, so here it is. It is a 2005 unlimited TJ. And with the jeep, usual speed is about 65 tops.

What did you do to get the ability to mount the bicycles back there? I'm going with a dual mount shank for my receiver as I'm getting the Boondock Edge so can't use the Up'N'Front to add the rack there, so I'm hoping the dual mount shank works.

2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge "Prometheus"
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5L "Ecto 10"

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 165

@Martog said:

@LuckyJ said:

What did you do to get the ability to mount the bicycles back there? I'm going with a dual mount shank for my receiver as I'm getting the Boondock Edge so can't use the Up'N'Front to add the rack there, so I'm hoping the dual mount shank works.

It looks like he has a hitch mounted to the frame of the trailer in the rear. I would love to have my bikes mounted that way, but someone told me that doing it this way would induce sway if you didn't have an anti-sway attachment. I also like seeing my bikes when I tow them, that way if one or both start rattling off the carrier (which has happened before) I can address it immediately before complete failure. We use a Jackit bike carrier, and it works great. It's not easy for one person to get the bikes on and off, that's the only downside. But, it keeps the weight over the hitch and the bikes are stable as is the trailer.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Not only sway, but the "whipping action" on the rack is greatly magnified back there increasing metal fatigue on the bike rack. Look it up, way too many horror stories of racks simply falling apart while traveling down the road.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options

@Martog said:

@LuckyJ said:

I do have a hitch in the back. But at first it was not for a bike rack, but for a recovery point. I moded the frame so I could have a back bone to the frame and have a rear recovery point in case I needed to tow or be towed from the TD. So I cut the ball hitch recever, and inserted a 2" recever tube from hitch receiver all the way to the rear, caude I wanted a solid ancore point that would be directly attache to the TV hitch.

And I afterward realized that I could mouth the bike rack in that location afterward. I would note have simply installed a hitch to the back bumper.

Now, for the different questions and comments, from my point of view.

For the possibility to see the bikes, I do see the wheels of them, I have the 5 wide, and I take a look at them every time I stop for gas.

Metal fattigue of the bike rack, in my case, I wanted to make a hinge, so I could fold the bike with the rack back, so I dod not have to move the bikes every time I was going to open the T@G galley door of my TV tailgate. In order to do that, I took the occasion of increaasing the size of the bike rack tube.

For the fishtailing abd trailer stability, there is nothing you can not compensate by moving your gear inside the T@G from front of the axle to rear of the axle.

As for catastrophique rack failure, I did loose a bike for twice in the past. First time, It was mounted on my TV roof rack. The bike riped off the rack while I was driving in a very windy day. Since I was not seeing it in an mirrors, I never found it even after tracking my route back for 100 miles at low speed. No idea what happen. And I had been carrying that bike like that for many years on long distance trips.

Second time, was with a rear rack, car was behind my GF car, the car hicth made for the rack to be low to the ground (toyota rav 4) and the rack was probably puch up some how when going over a rougher are of a paking space (and my gf does not know anything about finess driving) and while drving on a small quiet town road, While I was looking in my passenger mirror (I was the passenger) I saw my bike boucing in the black top. This was My new bike. Grrr!.

I also broke a kayak rack and almost lost a fiberglass 16 foot boat on a windy day. The J-craddle from yakima broke at the junction with the front bar.

Yes, I does bounce in the back with the wip effect, so the hook that hold and lock the bike down will rub more on the bike frame.

If you search the web about bike rack failure, yes, you will find them with RV, but with many other way of transporting bike.

My bikes have made many thousands of miles behing our T@G on our quebec roads, including dirt roads. Is it the best way, probably not. Are theire better ways, not for us. I also pesonaly find flaws in the other ways out there. Including the double hitch or the high mounted front T@G and T@B thing.

The best way is inside a vehicule, ancord to the floor. Not everybody has the room for this. I dont, not with a 2 door wrangler.

Have a good one! :)

• Options
    ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

I'm not much of a biker, but I would imagine the safest way outside the car would be to put a rack on the side that could hold the bike to the side of the camper (like the walls). then you can latch it to the side very securely and it won't move around as much.

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• Options

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    TonopahTonopah Member Posts: 33

I am about ready to buy a T@G Boondock Edge and am going back and forth over the 5' wide and the 6' wide. My tow vehicle will be a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) automatic which has been regeared to 4.88. The 6' wide is wider than the tow vehicle and a bit heavier than the 5' wide. Is there much difference in towing as between the two trailers with my tow vehicle?

2019 5' wide Boondock Edge w/ factory solar

• Options

The 6 wide will have some more drag for sure. How much, no idea, noticebale, no idea. But based on my own set-up, you will need mirror extension fir sure. I have the 5 wide, and i can see the full lenght of my TD side wall, but just even. To sure at all you will see behind with standard mirror and a 6 wide.

I you wnet with 4,88, you more than likely have larger tires? What size are you runing?

And for sure, pics when you finalized your set-up. :)

• Options
    TonopahTonopah Member Posts: 33

My 2005 Wrangler Unlimited runs 33 inch tires and a 3 inch BDS lift. I decided to go with the 5 foot wide Boondock Edge. I pick it up on Tuesday.

2019 5' wide Boondock Edge w/ factory solar

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517
    edited October 2018

The safest way to haul bikes is between the tow vehicle and the trailer on a rack specifically built for this task. I use to carry my bikes on a receiver at the rear of a few of my former Little Guy trailers and found out the hard way the amount of stresses that are transferred to the rear, similar to what you get with a fishing pole. I had a bike come loose and was hanging from a thread along Needles Highway out side Mt Rushmore. Luckily we noticed this disaster about to take place and were able to re-attach the bike to the rack. It was my wife's bike and the Yakima bar that allows you to mount them to a bike rack had taken a beating and was a few minutes away from failing. I also found cracks in the bike rack and ended up having it welded out in Arizona.

I know of others who have lost bikes out on the highway via transporting them on the rear of trailers and thank God no motorists were injured trying to dodge the road hazard created. With a trailer in tow you create a pendulum effect and eventually most bike racks will suffer metal fatigue and fail over time when mounted on the rear of any trailer or RV. Look at some of the setups behind RV's when you travel and you will see for yourself the amount of bounce they are placed under and some of these folks are driving around with a ticking time bomb behind them, waiting to place someone else's life in danger.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

Loosing a bike can happen from any rack location. So no matter where you install it, it can be a liability, and I am not saying that one is worst, but that we have to be very carefull and regularly inspect our installation, not just look at them in the mirror, cause it could be to late very fast. Like I have said up-here, I have learn the hard way but luckily w/o consiquences to other that no location is absolutely sure. :)

Good day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JJVXLZkRcsI

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 165
    edited October 2018

Yipes! I am willing to say that in the above video's case, that was a combination of factors to include excess speed and a crappy rack. Not to mention some road dip....lol