Options

Latest on Batwing Awnings

Just purchased a New T@G 2018 Boondock (6ft) and am being gifted the awning of my choice as a Birthday Christmas present! I am really interested in the Batwing due to the fact it provides coverage from Door to galley in case of inclement weather. I've read so many of the prior postings that I've completely confused myself! I've read a lot about it not being high enough to fully open the galley door, or the door will hit it. Is this still the case? I have the Yakima rack on top. I will most likely have the dealer mount it along with some other upgrades because I have no tools and my projects tend to turn into more than they need to be. I've read about moving the bar position to make the awning level... will i need to purchase something else to give the awning more height in order to allow the galley door to open properly?

Comments

• Options
    Scotty49Scotty49 Member Posts: 23

https://youtu.be/B1AJr9yWRWM
    I’ve seen this video post from Josh St. John on YouTube. He has used a Batwing with his T@G. Check out the link.

• Options
    PamPam Member Posts: 16

I’ve seen this video post from Josh St. John on YouTube. He has used a Batwing with his T@G. Check out the link.

Thank you! this is the post I saw that made mw want to get the Batwing! He seems to have no problems, but later investigations have raised concerns

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Pam,
    I don't know diddly about batwing awnings as I haven't researched them or seen one up close but for awhile had a Yakima Slim Shady awning on my trailer. The factory roof rack is indeed very adjustable for levelling an awning. I had my awning on there before I installed my lift kit and it was fine. I'm pretty tall and had no problems. My own experience says you probably won't need additional brackets. I was unimpressed with the Yakima awning for its cheesy leg-locks and lack of any adjustability up or down where the awning attaches to the roof frame. To be fair, Yakima may have addressed those issues as I've read good things about it since. I don't advocate any one brand over the other but will say that many of my off-roading cronies swear by the ARB awning. It seems to have more robust pole locks and has a flexible pole attachment system that looks better to me. The Yakima DOES have one of, if not THE best mounting systems going. The ARB mount (I've seen a few) is nice and solid but can't touch the ease of the Yakima system.
    As with all aftermarket awnings, the achilles heel is trying to get them to stay put in the wind. I would like to see the industry come out with a roll-out/fold-out job that attaches to the trailer instead of plopping down on the ground where the wind can play with it. I quickly tired of trying to tie mine down to trees, picnic tables, cars etc because they kept pulling out the stakes. The other foible of most awnings is they seem to be either all the way in or out. You can't just put them out a little.
    Good luck and I hope this helps.
    Of course you could just camp where the winds are favorable. Let me know where that is and I'll head out!

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    JoabmcJoabmc Member Posts: 64

Looking at this as an upgrade as well. Haven't decided what brand I'm going with yet but will do a 270 deg awning. Like the ease of setup, tear down and self containment. The Yakima awning seems pretty flimsy IMO but it's what came with the trailer. I'll probably end up re-purposing onto something else because I just don't feel as if it can handle the abuse. Agree with @WilliamA, ARB makes very stout equipment that have been field tested for many many years. Most of my TV armor and suspension is ARB and it will take a beating!
    Looking at this as a possibility but want to do a little more research before making the purchase.

https://offroadtents.com/products/wraptor-2000-270-degrees-awning-overland-pros?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAu_LgBRBdEiwAkovNsEM9bMRge8povKRtEfKRtgUFLFb9vXnhtaM7yBZ52d5em5fDgMvFfBoCnnIQAvD_BwE&variant=47966338632

19 T@G XL Boondock Edge
    07 Lexus GX 470

• Options
    mcgratedmcgrated Member Posts: 3

Been using both a Batwing and the ARB for a long time. Really like the batwing. I have not had any issue with clearing the kitchen hatch. There is plenty of room.

• Options

@mcgrated said:

Been using both a Batwing and the ARB for a long time. Really like the batwing. I have not had any issue with clearing the kitchen hatch. There is plenty of room.

Just go the batwing yesterday - can't wait to install it! This is exactly the setup I envision eventually. Glad to hear you like it!

• Options
    racpatracpat Member Posts: 12

I also bought the batwing awing to mount on the Yakima rack on my T@G. The Rhino 31105 mounting kit does not seem to work on the T-shaped brackets I received with the awing. The picture of the 31105 kit (below) shows a vertical bracket that would lift the awing rail above the roof rails. This vertical bracket is not included with the batwing, nor with the mounting kit. Using the T-brackets the U-bolts in the mounting kit do not fit the hole spacing in the T-bracket. An installation manual on Rhino's website shows that you need to drill out the holes on the brackets. So much for a $35 mounting kit: two U-bolts and two plastic adapter blocks. Even if I would get the mounting kit to work the awning would need to be installed off the ends of the roof rails (the adapter blocks interfere with the roofrail mounts). This would leave a gap between the awing and the side of the trailer. I emailed Rhino, but so far no response. I think I will return the mounting kit and fashion a steel clamp with a wooden "riser block" to install the rail above the roof rack rails. Has anyone else had this issue? !

thanks Patrick

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

I have purchased My ARB awning second hand, and I did not have any bracket to install it on my Yakima rack. So I made. Some steel bracket with steel pipes and a flat bar welded to it to bolt to tha awning, and the pipe goes rght over the end of the yakima bars. Sorry, no pocs yet.

I had to slide the bars out a bit toward the awning side, but the awning is at the same height or the rack, not above.

• Options
    racpatracpat Member Posts: 12

Rhino did finally respond to my messages and their CS person Robert Gonzales was very helpful. They are aware of the issue and have the old-style "foxwing" brackets in stock to help out Yakima rack owners. Roberto also said they are changing their new brackets to have elongated holes so the mounting kit will work. I still think the vertical foxwing bracket will work better to keep the awing on top of the rails and over the roof of the T@G. I should receive the brackets next week and will update once I have the awning installed.
    Patrick

• Options

Please update when you get them. I just installed theBatWing and don't like the gap out of principal! Haven't used it yet, so not sure if water leaks here after the cover is folded back, but....

Patrick

@racpat said:
    Rhino did finally respond to my messages and their CS person Robert Gonzales was very helpful. They are aware of the issue and have the old-style "foxwing" brackets in stock to help out Yakima rack owners. Roberto also said they are changing their new brackets to have elongated holes so the mounting kit will work. I still think the vertical foxwing bracket will work better to keep the awing on top of the rails and over the roof of the T@G. I should receive the brackets next week and will update once I have the awning installed.
    Patrick

• Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89

The nice thing about the ARB awning is it also has an add on room. In the event my youngest wants to come with my girlfriend and I camping I can set him up on a cot and he can have his own room. The ARB equipment has always been robust and well-built and they stand by their products if there are issues.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@Somemedic said:
    The nice thing about the ARB awning is it also has an add on room. In the event my youngest wants to come with my girlfriend and I camping I can set him up on a cot and he can have his own room. The ARB equipment has always been robust and well-built and they stand by their products if there are issues.

I do know that some of the batwing type of awning have add on rooms and fly nets, just do not know how it would work with a T@G galley door. Maybe it is sectionnal.

• Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89

Sectional. I believe you are correct

• Options
    ElPhoenixElPhoenix Member Posts: 40

@Pam and @racpat how have you been enjoying your Batwing? I know these posts are older, but I have the same awning and love it! I did have to make some adjustments to mount it on the Yakima rack. The bracket shown in pictures on the Rhino website are Euro brackets allegedly no longer available. You can see my fabrications here, if interested:

https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/890/rhino-batwing-on-yakima-roof-racks-update#latest