Options

LED lightbar on the Boondock

has anyone swapped the insanely bright lights on the bar for something more muted like purple or pink? Is it possible to put a dimmer switch on this thing? All it does is attract millions of bugs.

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@beaky said:
    has anyone swapped the insanely bright lights on the bar for something more muted like purple or pink? Is it possible to put a dimmer switch on this thing? All it does is attract millions of bugs.

Lol! Sorry to make fun of this, but I always wonder what this light bar was really for. Now I know. Just the regular galley light is to agressive (bright ) for my taste. Thoe bars are used on off road trucks or could be used for flood light while working on something. Maybe used to light up a soccer field or a play ground. ;)

I hope you find a solution!

• Options
    CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113

@beaky I felt your pain and put in a LED system in the galley area. It has a dimmer and did not cost much. https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/277/cabinet-and-galley-mods/p1 WilliamA put in a system that you can change the colors and it has a remote. https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/429/an-interesting-radio-upgrade-perhaps/p1
    Good luck on your solution.

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 165

That bar is great if you are backed way up into the woods and have your picnic area set up behind your T@g. We use it to illuminate everything back there when we eat or set up camp at night. I have to admit, it can be overkill. I'd much rather see some smaller floodlights back there (like the ones mounted forward). I am eventually going to remove that light and install an LED strip on the hatch with the existing wiring for some ambiance during meal prep.

• Options

For set-up time, even the small side led light are overkill for us. They work, but I could live with somting smaller of not as bright, but I am not ready to cover them in yellow yet. Cause the white is nice for set-up, then it would be lower intensity light for the duration of the camp time.

Even the galley light is more than enough for set-up in our case. I might try to find some small cube light that could be directed in cooking spot. Future will tell.

I know that 12 volts dimmer exist, they look like touch pads, but not sure all leds are dimmer compatible and also, I think that the touch pads have phantom drain. So,ething I do not want. Enough of that already.

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

I'm old school..travel with a flashlight... :)

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

I covered my galley light with a bandana using command strips. Easy to take off if I want blinding light, but it mutes down the light nicely and is kind of pretty. For night time outside, I string battery operated led Christmas lights around the inside edge of my EZ ups. It's like campfire light without the fire.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

There are many options for your dilemma as there are many LED variants out there and as noted, there are dimmer switches available. Some people have used colored plastics to defuse the bright lights. We purchased solar powered Luci lights and use them non-stop when we are traveling. I think we now have 7 Luci lights for two trailers.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

I second the Lucci lights. Be careful though. If you want a very nice interior light, get the frosted Lucci. The clear Lucci have a lot of glare.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options

Perso, I have no issues with interior lights. Like the bright white seilling light when needed, and the blue/white reading light for most of the time.

My issue is really with outside. And would prfer not to had anything else to what is integrated to the trailer walls. And yep, I know about the spot light color filters, but have to play with somekind of velco or other to add and remove, iand to me, it does not fit well with a hight priice for the category trailer.

I will have to make decision at one point, but I guess I am not against that wall yet. ;)