Options

60 minute Side-Table

In keeping with my mantra of ripping off the ideas of others, I decided that I wanted to build a simple, inexpensive side table for my trailer. The seed of this particular idea came from:

https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/746/camp-inn-blemished-tables#latest
Thanks somemedic!

I choked on the $150 bucks, being rather financially "hungry" is my other mantra, but figured I could replicate said table for less.

I started with a 1"X12"X24" Aspen shelf board that I picked up from Fleet Farm for $7.49 Here's my sidekick and assistant par-excellence, Sprocket holding the board up against the trailer for a quick preview of possibilities.

Being obsessive/compulsive and neurotic, I spent most of my design thought-process working out where I'd put the thing when traveling. If I didn't have a dedicated space for my pants, I'd camp in my underwear, so that's an important step for me. (Probably even more important for everyone else)
I wanted to use the dead space under the fridge for that purpose and this idea "nearly" worked. No matter. It did provide the seeds of the idea.

While the under-fridge storage idea didn't work exactly as I'd hoped, I did determine that if it was short enough, it would lay on the floor behind and under the fridge. I quickly cut the board and made up some aluminum brackets, then screwed them on for a test.

For my landing leg, I used a modified trekking pole that I had been using for the rear awning, but replaced with better poles. It's adjustable for length and quite strong once locked down.

I used small tie-down brackets pop-riveted to the fender to hold the inside of the table.

For storage, it sits quite nicely under the fridge. Total length of the table with brackets is around 21". I could have made it wider, but I wanted to be able to get two chairs in under the awning with the table between them.

I had the aluminum stock that I used to bend up the hooks and brackets. I bought the strap brackets at Fleet farm for $2.49 each along with the wood. I also already had the trekking pole so all together, I've got about $12 bucks in it. I took it all apart and slathered on a layer of Urethane and need to turn it over and do the other side today but it's otherwise pretty much finished. Sprocket, being a Minecraft-Minion, has taken to calling it a "Crafting Table".

It's a "crafting-table" all right....I plan to craft a few Gin and Tonics on it......

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Nicely done!

I also use the space under the fridge for a large cutting board.

As for the tie down loops, you have no idea how hard if impossible those are to find in my neck of the wood.

And can't resolve my self of bying them on line and generate shipping and typical over packaging for something like that.

Where did you get them, since I am heading on a USA road trip in about a month, I would look for them. :)

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@LuckyJ said:
    Nicely done!

I also use the space under the fridge for a large cutting board.

As for the tie down loops, you have no idea how hard if impossible those are to find in my neck of the wood.

And can't resolve my self of bying them on line and generate shipping and typical over packaging for something like that.

Where did you get them, since I am heading on a USA road trip in about a month, I would look for them. :)

Luc,
    We have them at pretty much any hardware store, home depot, fleet farm, menards etc. If you cant find them but have a torch, a length of 1/4" rod and a hammer, you could forge a few up in no time. These aren't stainless. For stainless variants, you could troll boating supply places. They also have them by the bucketfull.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

Hey Luc, where do you plan to travel in the US???

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

@Michigan_Mike said:
    Hey Luc, where do you plan to travel in the US???

We are heading toward the great smoky and straight in two days from quebec, and then slowly coming back north east by the Blueridge ans Skyline drive, then CD or NYC, but more than likely NYC or just north. Them we will see. We have two weeks, including travel time.

Not even the time to detour to a friends place in Angola IN.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517
    edited August 2019

You are going to love that trip! The Blue Ridge Parkway is a beautiful drive and one I would like to take it again. If you ever get over to Michigan give me a shout. 👍🏻

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

@Michigan_Mike said:
    If you ever get over to Michigan give me a shout. 👍🏻

For sure I will make it again to Michigan someday. Just do not know when. GF as family in Holland, MI that I would also like to visit, and I did mentionned my very good friends in Angola IN. Would also like to do the Upper pininsula.

So, yep, someday and yes, I will infor you guys! :)

• Options
    TaveryTavery Member Posts: 6

Great job there!

An aside.....I've got a 2018 boondock but no where near the clearance below fender to tire you have. ..... why praytell would that be?

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@Tavery said:
    Great job there!
    An aside.....I've got a 2018 boondock but no where near the clearance below fender to tire you have. ..... why praytell would that be?

I have a lift kit on mine. It's 3 inches taller...
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    TaveryTavery Member Posts: 6

I see. That would explain it