Options

Backup Camera_Stove Windscreen_Galley Latches

I am leaving for Zion National Park and Lake Powell next week. This will give me my first use of my new wireless backup camera and stove windscreen. I have not seen much backup camera information on this forum and am interested in potential benefits. As with most of my mods, I strive to make them reversible, leaving the trailer as original as possible (no holes).

After performing my research, I purchase my camera setup (DohonesBest Digital Wireless Backup Camera High-Speed Observation System – amazon $135.99). The 7” monitor comes with two channels, so I added a second camera on my tow vehicle. After some thought, I decided to add the monitor with the supplied suction cup mount in the upper left of my windshield. I set the system up for continuous use and can easily turn the monitor on or off from the lighted switch cigarette 12-volt power supply.

I mounted the cameras utilizing two magnets rated at 70lbs each. (Very secure) To minimize the mounted depth of the camera, I installed a 90-degree adapter on the antenna. The installation process was simple, adjustable and easy to relocate or remove. Total cost in with magnets and adapters = $153.37

• I would be interested in hearing from others who have installed a backup camera and the benefits experienced.

Since I am going to Lake Powell (Lone Rock), which is known for wind, I created a simple cheap windscreen for the stove. Normally I use my wood backsplash for the task, but my solution was too easy, light, and cheap to pass up.

• For less than $2.00, I bought a thin 24” x 1.5” galvanized metal strip from Home Depot, bent it in two places and called it done.
  • Pots and pans do not rest on the wind screen, as long is it is 1.5" or less in height. Lightweight, simple and cheap. I could have easily repeated the process with a second strip for rear protection, but feel the coverage is adequate. The sides are cover by 5”, which is about 75% side coverage. I am curious how effective the screen will be.

I have included photos of the backup camera setup, wind screen and my galley latch solution. Placing tape on the latches has the advantage of easing the pain in the event they are impacted by a tall individual.

Your feedback is always appreciated. - -

• -

Comments

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

What did you wire the camera into? Looks great.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

You may want to put some tape over the end of the loom to prevent water from collecting.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Good questions/observations! -
    I wired the camera utilizing a 4' plug in 12v (cigarette) adapter into the back wall of the galley. Unplug it while not moving. Plugs into the tail which comes out from the camera. (Move it out of the way when not in use). The same process for the tow vehicle. (Rav4 has a rear 12 volt input adapter) -
    As for the loom installed to protect the wires from rubbing, it comes split down the center and I also drill numerous holes through it for drainage. The protective wire loom may be overkill, but I do various washboard roads, so I wanted to minimize the probability of wear.
    I also placed a thin piece of black plastic between the magnets and the trailer frame. The magnets are so strong that they have to be slid off the edge of the trailer frame to remove and I did not what the paint on the frame scratched up by the process. (See attached photos) -
    --

• Options

Got back from Lake Powell and Zion as my first official trip using my wireless backup camera system. (1,334 miles) I have it wired so it can operate as I drive. Found it useful when going around someone to view and assure myself that I am leaving enough room in front of the passed vehicle before moving back over. I did not find the system overly helpful this trip when backing. The benefit may increase as I get accustomed to the system. When I am at a camp site, I normally will un-hook from the tow vehicle and hand place the T@G in the exact location I desire.

• I would love to hear from others that have a camera system and learn of the values they report.
    • As it stands now, I feel the value of the wireless backup camera mounted to the T@G is minimal.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

James,

That's been my experience as well. The field of view on mine is so wide that autos behind me on the road seem tiny. They don't show up until they are right on top of me. I use it occasionally when backing into campsites. The projected lines are nice for seeing how close I am to picnic tables, trees etc but as far as overall use, it's marginal. I had it mounted high above the rear hatch and liked it better up there. Down on the frame where it's at now is pretty useless.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    GunnarGreyGunnarGrey Member Posts: 1

I’d love to hear how the stove windscreen worked out. Thanks

• Options

After trying out my stove windscreen at Lake Powell, I deemed it a success. Not 100%, but close. We had the trailer parked in the worst direction as it pertained to the wind. Did have flame blow out once when set at lowest setting in moderate wind. Besides that no issues whatsoever. The windscreen did not interfere with any pot/pans, allowed easy ignition of burners, did not get overly hot and maintained its appearance as constructed.
    Do I think bending and using a second screen for 360 degree coverage would be worth it? Likely no. Had I bothered to turn the trailer around, I think it would have been a 100% success.
    Storage was easy, as I keep it in a canvas bag with the burner grate under the sink while traveling.

• Options
    ElPhoenixElPhoenix Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2020
  • Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400
    edited January 2020

I put my windscreen inside the grate. I used a wooden dowel to make the bends manually. It stays in place all the time, even when traveling. Works pretty well.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options

Sounds like a good idea. May get a bit hotter, but if you are not removing it, it does not matter. Hope it works for many future trips.

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Guess I could have shared a pic

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options

Looks good. Hey, that's my coffee pot.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

That is was I was thinking. Not yours but mine.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options

JamesDow,

I'd love to hear about Lake Powell and your experiences there. Where did you camp?

I was there a couple years back but want to go again and spend some time camping on the lake.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

William,
    Lake Powell is one of my favorite spots. I highly recommend.
    The Lake Powell location we went to this time was Lone Rock Beach Campground. Part of the National Park System. Got in free with my pass and paid half price ($7.00) per night. It is a primitive campground with toilets, and outside cold shower (during season only). You may not find potable water. Fires are permitted (bring your own wood). Can get down as close as you want to the lake, but you may run into loose sand areas. At least three campers had to obtain assistance to get unstuck. Wind can get gusty, especially closer to the water, but was not an issue for us. We met lots of friendly people. Since we went in October, it was not too busy. I have read that during prime season, it can get crowded. We took our kayak out every day. Not a lot of hiking, but nice areas for walking and exploring. A few people were swimming, but the water was a bit cold. Of interest was the turnover of campers on a daily basis. Many seemed to stay only one night and moved on. My guess, they were on their way to some other primary location. Lots of rental RVs.
    One issue we faced by being very close to the water, was the distance to the toilets. 500+ feet. The toilets were clean and flushed. We were not bothered by any noise, day or night. Did not experience any security concerns.
    The camp site is within about 8 miles from Wahweap and about 12 from Page, which has a Walmart superstore. Technically the campground is in Utah. You can rent a boat in Wahweap, or better yet drive a bit further up the lake for better access. I could not find a place to rent a cheap aluminum fishing style boat.
    We came up from Phoenix area and we stayed for three nights and then made our way up to Zion, which was about a 2.5 hour drive.
    One of the best memories of Lake Powell was tent camping at Bullfrog Utah. I drove in from Utah, but you can also access via Halls Crossing Ferry.

• Options

That's the place I've been looking for. Thanks much for the photos and info. It's on the list!

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    GolfervGolferv Member Posts: 4

James,

Question on your camera 12v cigarette connection in galley. Did you splice the camera wire into the cigarette adaptor piece? Or is their a a cigarette plug that has the same connector as the camera wiring? In other words a straight plug in to the camera wiring.Thanks

• Options

The connection to the galley is a straight plug, which required no splicing.
    I believe it came with the items purchased from DohonesBest Digital Wireless Backup Camera High-Speed Observation System – amazon.
    You can also purchase one directly from Amazon if needed.