Options

Rhino Batwing on Yakima Roof Racks - Success!

ElPhoenixElPhoenix Member Posts: 40
edited August 2020 in Products & Accessories

NOTE: This awning does NOT extend 270 degrees. I know what it claims, but that simply is not true nor physically possible.

We paused our maiden voyage for a day in order to install the Rhino Batwing (in 25mph+ winds). The wind snatched the awning out of our hands and snapped 2 of the pole hinges (luckily it came with 2 replacements), but once we had all the anchors in place we saw 30mph+ winds not bother the awning at all. We are overall impressed and love it. 

There are a couple small issues we've noticed: the Rhino bracket for the Batwing has changed and the Yakima bracket kit now leaves a gap between the trailer and the awning and we had to drill the holes larger for the pin to fit all the way. Also, the awning does not completely cover the galley which is annoying. I still reccomend the Batwing over all else and will be a pro at installing it on a Yakima or Thule roof rack.

One of our fellow T@Gers showed me their mods, so it should be an easy fix:

They cut the Rhino bracket here and cut two new holes for the mounting pin. They then slid the rack bars over an inch or so and removed the plastic, Yakima cap on the rack bars and drill a hole in the plastic in order to add another half inch allowing the bolt to rest inside the rack poles.

Another T@Ger added this aluminum spacer in order to raise the awning another inch allowing the galley door to open clear of the awning. This also allows mounting the bracket on the inside of the roof rack which now extends that awning to cover the galley completely.

I know the last two brackets are different. After hours of research they seem to be the predecessor for the current Rhino Batwing bracket and no longer available anywhere. I'm waiting for a response from Rhino since this "old" bracket would keep me from having to cut and drill the existing bracket.

I greatly appreciate all of the amazing support and advice we've received. This is an amazing group!

Comments