Options

Post up some shots of your set-up at Camp!

Comments

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

I love those indoor/outdoor thermometers. Fair warning before opening the door to the sanctuary.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    MichaelMichael Member Posts: 45

WilliamA,

Where do you mount your outdoor temperature probe? Trying to find a good place that is not impacted too much by direct sunlight. Was actually thinking about placing it underneath by the spare tire jack lift.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I have the sending probe inside my front tool box near the bottom rear corner. It works well there, is out of the wind and road chaff and is accurate for cold but is a hot box in summer. Cold is what I am more interested in.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Each temp device has instructions on where to place the sensor. Mine is portable so I can store it inside when not in service. They generally have parameters on height from the ground and protection from direct sunlight.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 31

That has to be some cold camping. There are interesting things to take in while you are close. Oregon Trail Wagon ruts at Chimney Rock and of course - there is Carhenge

• Options

@nbrandt said:
    That has to be some cold camping. There are interesting things to take in while you are close. Oregon Trail Wagon ruts at Chimney Rock and of course - there is Carhenge

Yeah, it's chilly. Had 10 this morning. Wind is the real enemy though. Heat has been a blessing. When I get some money, I'm going to pay myself $1,000 dollars for putting in the furnace. It just.....works. I turn the thermostat down to 60 when I leave for the day and bump it up to 68 when I get back to shake off the chill from walkin and gawkin. I've been doing experiments to see how cold the galley gets and so far, nothing back there has frozen but a can of water I set on the picnic table has frozen stiff. I want to divert a tiny bit of heat back under the sink to keep the pipes warm but have to get to the garage to do the work. I have it all figured out though. My 5 lb propane cylinder is working fine at these temps so another win. If I had any sense ( no danger of that) I'd market this furnace kit or installed....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited November 2018

I’m usually ok when inside the sanctuary. It’s when I’m outside! With my PahaQue Cottonwood with flaps down and my Little Red Campfire friend I can handle temps in the 30’s. I don’t think it would work for me below that. However that’s probably because of my California genes :)

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

Well, I'm back from 10 days out in extreme northwestern Nebraska and should pen up a trip report. Perhaps I'll put it under a different heading: Cold Weather Camping. In any case, I'll post a few photos here for those who might enjoy the offerings of that neck of the woods (prairie).
    We camped at Ft Robinson, State Park just outside of Crawford, Nebraska. The park has lots of nice campsites for both on and off-grid camping. I wisely chose a site with the vaunted volts. That ended up being the right thing. It was cold most of the time and proved to be the coldest trip I've taken to date. Hopefully, I'll not be camping in colder weather. No need to get a gold star for that. I proved my system to my complete satisfaction.

My brother Joe and nephew Ben camped just over the abandoned tracks in his wall tent. I was sceptical but was proved wrong on all counts. His setup with tent and wood stove proved to be nice and comfortable for the whole time. We mostly hung out in his camp and even my delicate demeanor found it to be warm and dry.

Ft Robinson is, as one might imagine, high prairie and is mostly miles and miles of miles and miles. It's beautiful and austere. A big change from our Wisconsin tree collection.

For the history enthusiast, there is plenty to see. I was fascinated to find the remains of a WWII POW camp in the confines of the FT. It was interesting and fun to look around. Cold though...

While Joe and Ben were out hunting during the day, I planned and took daily forays out into the local terrain. My new GPS/Head Unit worked flawlessly and provided me with a fantastic guide for my sortee's into the local topography.

We took a few side-trips to regional parks. Here we were in "Toadstool Park" which is an interesting hoodoo-riddled bit of the extreme southern end of the Badlands terrain. We hung out here until dark and then headed back to camp.

The Fort has, running through it, an abandoned rail line. I am fascinated by all things of this nature and spent a bit of time walking the old trackways. Cool stuff.

As always, the trip out across most of Minnesota and South Dakota was like driving into the mouth of a force 10 gale. I achieved 9.8 mpg going out slogging into a 30-40 mph headwind and 14.8 coming back with a quartering tailwind out of the northwest. Brutal, but predictable. I've never been across there when it wasn't pretty much like that. Coming back, the last 3 hours were in rain and ice and snow mixed. Needless to say, I was alert. I didn't have to worry about being tired. It was wide-awake driving.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    BlueTAGBlueTAG Member Posts: 21

WilliamA--- What type of furnace did you install? Does it run off electricity or propane? To keep you warm at 9 degrees, it has to be a great one. Show us some pictures.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@BlueTAG said:
    WilliamA--- What type of furnace did you install? Does it run off electricity or propane? To keep you warm at 9 degrees, it has to be a great one. Show us some pictures.

We were comfortable with a 1500 watts space heater that was not even set to high at -15F. Tye T@G trailer are small and if not super insulated, are easy to warm up. But no easy way to warm up the matress and walls lower corners if you use regular bedding sheats. In winter, I would suggest a good sleeping bag. But what I have not tried yet is a heating pad for the matress.

As for heating set-up, WilliamA came up with a really nice system that is integrated to the trailer. Again, he did some really nice work!

• Options
    edited December 2018

@BlueTAG said:

When I mounted my furnace (110V forced air, 800 Watts) I didn't collect all of the photos I should have. As it is the second one I did (I put one in my LG5W) I just got the stuff and did it. Now I'm regretting not doing the whole photo thing. I've got my trailer all tore apart right now modifying the wiring for the new radio and radio cabinet so perhaps its a good time to pull the furnace and get some photos. I'll see what I can do.....

Edited....
    As requested, here are a couple of photos of my furnace installed in the panel behind the television. I used my ninja skills to get these photos...

Furnace is a modified wall-unit for a house. I built the plenum mount from sheetmetal to install it. 2 wire installation. One pulls power for the unit from the A/C outlet, hardwired into the outlet. The second is for the 110V line voltage thermostat wire. There are actually 3 wires in my installation but if I had to do it again, I'd delete the hi/low option as it's (after a year of cold-weather testing) just not needed. Furnace uses 800 watts as it is currently configured. It has the capability for 1500 watts of output, but it will quickly run you out of the trailer. Close attention to detail of the photos will show a couple of pieces of standard masking tape. I put them on the furnace housing as a litmus test of how hot the enclosure got over time. They are still there, like the day I stuck them on.
    Best modification I've ever made....Bar none....

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

@WilliamA said:

@BlueTAG said:

When I mounted my furnace (110V forced air, 800 Watts) I didn't collect all of the photos I should have. As it is the second one I did (I put one in my LG5W) I just got the stuff and did it. Now I'm regretting not doing the whole photo thing. I've got my trailer all tore apart right now modifying the wiring for the new radio and radio cabinet so perhaps its a good time to pull the furnace and get some photos. I'll see what I can do.....

Edited....
    As requested, here are a couple of photos of my furnace installed in the panel behind the television. I used my ninja skills to get these photos...

Furnace is a modified wall-unit for a house. I built the plenum mount from sheetmetal to install it. 2 wire installation. One pulls power for the unit from the A/C outlet, hardwired into the outlet. The second is for the 110V line voltage thermostat wire. There are actually 3 wires in my installation but if I had to do it again, I'd delete the hi/low option as it's (after a year of cold-weather testing) just not needed. Furnace uses 800 watts as it is currently configured. It has the capability for 1500 watts of output, but it will quickly run you out of the trailer. Close attention to detail of the photos will show a couple of pieces of standard masking tape. I put them on the furnace housing as a litmus test of how hot the enclosure got over time. They are still there, like the day I stuck them on.
    Best modification I've ever made....Bar none....

WilliamA

Nice setup WilliamA!,

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

Spent three days at Mount Magazine State Park in Arkansas in November. Mid thirties at night

2017 T@G Max

• Options

Love it!!. You guys nailed it for me with the canopy. What size and style is it? Can it be set up easily? What’s the name? Thanks for sharing =)

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193
    edited December 2018

Coleman Mountain View, appropriate for camping at the highest point in Arkansas. You can do it by yourself but easier with another person. It has shock cord poles like a tent. We have a pop up canopy that is 13x13 and better for shade but if expecting rain bring this one.

https://www.costco.com/Coleman-Mountain-View-12'-x-12'-Screendome-Shelter.product.100323179.html

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632
    edited July 2019

Attached are some photos from Picacho State Recreation Area. One shows a setup I used to watch movies projected onto the back of the T@G. Normally I project on a sheet, but high winds prevented that option. One photo is of the Colorado River from my drone. -- -
    Edited for picture size - Sharon

• Options
    BinderkenBinderken Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2019

We just got our 2019 t@g 5w. have taken it out a couple of times, and are still figuring out the setup that works best for us.

• Options

Not sure if Dry Dock qualifies as "Set up at camp" but was finishing my necessary in-season checks and services and running the gennie to stretch its legs. Following up with a "Step 9", aka a beer, lawn chair and casual peruse of my adventure digs.

I am happy.....

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

@WilliamA said:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030201/uploads/297/EXW4BQKS8UC8.jpg
    Not sure if Dry Dock qualifies as "Set up at camp" but was finishing my necessary in-season checks and services and running the gennie to stretch its legs. Following up with a "Step 9", aka a beer, lawn chair and casual peruse of my adventure digs.
    I am happy.....
    WilliamA

Ok, maybe I mist it from an other post, but what happen to your spare tire. If memory is good, it was back under your trailer. ??

• Options

@LuckyJ said:

Ok, maybe I mist it from an other post, but what happen to your spare tire. If memory is good, it was back under your trailer. ??

Lol! Luc, Look reeeeeeaaaaally close! It's under there but hard to see. It's a narrow one and doesn't hang down much below the frame...
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Made it to Gettysburg KOA today. What a gorgeous place and so important to this nation.

Met a super nice couple at Dillon State Park in OH yesterday. Really fantastic people and they were really excited about their new T@G. Said they were local and on a test run. Awesome to meet kindrid spirits!

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options

After the OH stop we spent the next six nights at the Gettysburg KOA. While speedier than we typically like, it was a short drive to the national park and the amenities were very nice. What a great way to see this important piece of US history

The drive through PA was a bit wrenching at times with the XL as this state likes to put road construction barriers on the divider lines. We made it though (and I needed an immediate beverage once we did).

I highly recommend Confederate Trails horseback tour and hiring a private tour guide for a driving tour.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options

@WilliamA said:

@LuckyJ said:

Lol! Luc, Look reeeeeeaaaaally close! It's under there but hard to see. It's a narrow one and doesn't hang down much below the frame...
    WilliamA

Yes, I do now remember about it in one of your post that you wanted to g donut! :)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636
  • Options
    JayJay Member Posts: 71

Our setup, first year with 2019 T&G XL ..

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Holly Lake CG, Rehoboth DE. for a short weekend trip.

Dogs on the beach.

Never get tired of these shots!

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.